DKM Scharnhorst 1943 - 1/350 Dragon Kit + extras

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Derek. I haven't been on for a week, so I'm only now catching up.

Your presentation is top drawer stuff. Thank you for explaining things with some excellent stage pictures.

Re. the anchor way, there is, what appears to be, a shadow cast onto the hull. I reckon there is a bulbous protrusion - almost like a candle wax run, for'ard of the way. Not that it matters one jot...It's how the modeller sees things, not some viewer who knows precious little about such details...i.e., li'l ol' me!

Keep the updates coming, they make for interesting reading.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham D

For glazing, you can always use PVA glue, it dries clear. I used it for my 1/350 boat builds

C

Caledonia

Made a start on the PE for the Aft Superstructure. For the larger PE a 'Fold and Bend' tool such as the 4" 'The Small Shop' is very handy. The first photo shows the Tool, also the components for the Scharnhorst's Catapult.

View attachment 122356

The MK1 PE is very fragile and snaps easily, not nearly as good as Gold Medal Model PE. The Mk1 instructions have a number of errors, and parts not identified, the kit item U9 is shown 180 Deg. out on the Mk1 instructions, it does not identify where B35 goes (opposite B39).

The handrail contours around objects is sloppy, I have substituted some of my spare handrail from my KGV build to make them tidier.

The Dragon kit does not identify where K73 goes, see the photo, the pencil identifies the item. Item B35 goes to the left of K73.

View attachment 122355

Finally a couple of general shots of where I am at with the PE. I still have to clean up some joints.

View attachment 122353

As I am off on holiday next week, the shipyard will be shut. Derek

View attachment 122354

View attachment 122357

B057.jpg

B056.jpg

B055.jpg

B054.jpg

B053.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Holidays? That's a blow, just when the build was shaping up nicely.

Enjoy your vacation Derek and keep safe.

Ron

C

Caledonia

A small update.

Made a start on the Stack; Dragon got the baffle identification wrong, but it's pretty obvious when you do a dry fit. MK1 are out in sympathy with Dragon, there have been a few errors with Item numbers, here is another one, they have two C70's where as the lower one should be C35.

View attachment 124264

View attachment 124265

Have to remove all the ribs from the Stack Platform for PE. I assume the the steel PE are Ladder walkways.

View attachment 124266

The next photo shows the PE parts for the aft section of the Stack Platform, and the ladder walkways added to the Stack.

View attachment 124267

Last photo shows the above platform finished.

View attachment 124268

I will be moving onto the fwd. section of the Stack Platform. Derek

B058.jpg

B059.jpg

B060.jpg

B061.jpg

B062.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Back with more mind blowing pe..I fin it hard at 1/35 so couldn't imagine working at this scale with it

C

Caledonia

Finally got the Stack finished, I counted 64 pieces of PE. Off to do the boat deck now. Derek

B063.jpg

B064.jpg

B065.jpg

B066.jpg

Last edited:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
There is that much metal on that you want to watch the tatters don't see it..Looking superb

C

Caledonia

Thanks for your kind comments Gents, appreciate them. Here is a small update as I am switching to another area of the Ship.

I have now cemented the Stack to the Boat Deck Structure and fitted all of the Ships Boats supports. The handrail around the Boat Deck was a bit of a problem due to all of the curves so a placed a piece of card on top and traced the curves from the underside. I then used this template to shape the handrails, but because of the way I traced it, I had to spin the handrail 180 Deg. about its longitudinal axis so that it would be the correct orientation when I removed it from the template.

I also used a bit of builders licence; the handrails were solid brass in areas on the outside, and embossed with the handrails on the inside to represent stretched canvas. I reversed this to make it a little more interesting.

Plenty more to do in this area of the superstructure, but I am now going to concentrate of the forward superstructure. Derek

B067.jpg

B068.jpg

B069.jpg

B070.jpg

B071.jpg

D

Deleted member 4539

This is coming along well.

Like the way you traced for the railings. :smiling3:

I usually go by eye and continually test fit.I'm going to give your way a go.

D

Deleted member 4203

I've only saw this now but I'll be watching the next parts, it looks fantastic :smiling3:

Blair

C

Caledonia

Well I've been looking at this model for two days now planning the build/painting sequence, and I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I am going to have to abandon the wooden deck, and paint it instead, there are so many stairways etc, that are so dimensionally dependant on height and access that for me it would be impossible to retro fit and paint.

I thought going from HMS Roberts to the KGV was a big step, but the Dragon Scharnhorst is in another world.

Anyway I have ordered the paint for the Deck, as I think this is the only way for me at least to progress.

C

Caledonia

A small update; have been working away at all of the PE in way of the Bridge. Have been concentrating on the platforms and ladders at the filter inlets. Letting the CA dry overnight before I clean up the joints. MK1 Design have made several errors in their PE part numbers, they are fairly obvious but annoying still.

The Triangular webs under the upper bridge wings should be C07 and not C02

The guard rail at the ladders beside the boats crane should be B08 and not A08

Still got plenty of PE to add. I have not fixed the Deck supporting the upper bridge and fire director, as the crane pedestals have still to be fitted.

From the photos below, I think you will understand why I chose to paint the decks, as fitting all of the platforms and guard rails after fitting the wooden decks, would, for me at least, be impossible.

B072.jpg

B073.jpg

B074.jpg

B075.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Derek, this just get's better and better. Your patience and eye sight know no bounds!

I can see why you made the decision re. the decks. Nothing wrong with painted decks, old lad......To be honest, I prefer paint to many so called 'wooden' ones any day. The plastic planking mouldings are well up to standard these days. Whereas some of the wooden decks on offer are really awful.

I guess I just don't like after market stuff when I don't think it necessary. Just my own opinion. To each his own.

J

John Rixon

Having tinkered with PE on my dreadnought, and now on a s/h Dragon Marder iii (1/35), all I can say is your PE work is outstanding! Railings on a curve are an absolute nightmare, and finding a way to apply tiny amounts of CA glue is a constant pain. I love the boxy stuff, and bits that are big enough to see (!) but I'm about to start the tool clamps for this Marder, all brass, and I'm bricking it, to be blunt! What is your chosen weapon for glue on your build?