Fenlander's 1/350 Revell Bismarck

F

Fenlander

I had read somewhere that the only real pain with the Revel Bismarck was the prop housings under the hull. Have to say, they do not fit well so wait for glue to fully harden and get the filler out. If this is the only major fill then it will be fine.
_20170109_131402.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ouch. not the best of fits..

F

Fenlander

First bit of surgery, the gun barrels of the main armement cut off and the brass bits put on.
_20170111_153723.JPG

Then started the Photo Etch on the four main turrets. Didn't go well as one bit pinged off and there are no spares. There is a photo etch railing that goes around the top of the turret but I cannot add that until I have painted the turret grey with yellow on top.
_20170111_153658.JPG

Still struggling to get a game plan on with this build but I will get there.

G

Graham D

The minimum upgrade for any model with armaments is the barrels, it does make a big difference.

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking good so far although those prop housings will take a bit of filling but look much better when done

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That and railings.
To true. Mind you fun seeing some models with PE railing that is so wrong... but OK post and wire/rope is a bit hard to do in PE.
Another thing that makes a ship is the rigging! I bet you are looking forwards to that about as much as I am....:eek:

As for the PE pinging off to joint the circus. Have you forgotten the tape trick. De-sticky a bit of masking tape and put it on the back of the fret.
My PE for the Hood, is actually between two sheets of plastic foil. Peel the one off and the other holds the little buggers while you cut them off.

Nice job on the barrel transplant.

F

Fenlander

Sadly, it pinged off when about to attach it lol. No, PE railings are not accurate as most PE isn't due to it being flat. Like most modelling improvements, it's the illusion that helps. The plastic railings that come with the Bismarck kit are more accurate had it not been for them being too thick. I have seen some PE railings that actually had a sag between the posts but I cannot remember what they were on.

F

Fenlander

I keep looking at the Bismarck hull and wondering if I should cut the bottom of it off and put it on a seascape. It worked with my 1/700 build a couple of years back...... please talk me out of this madness.........
IMG_0074.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Personally I wouldn't place the 1/350 kit into a dio as I think you've already been there and done it (and what a wonderful dio it makes too!)
I think 1/700 kits lend themselves to seascapes but larger scales (I think) are better left alone as it draws the eye into all that wonderful detail you're putting into this.
I have the both the 1/700 and the 1/200 Bismarck kits (the 1/200 is ridiculously large). I've earmarked the 1/700 Bismarck for a dio (I have the 1/700 Hood and Prince Eugen too) but the large Bismarck will be a standalone model.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this large scale pocket battleship come together. I'm sure it will be great.

All the best
P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Going to join the GB with that Paul.... :smiling3:
I'd love to join both you, Graham and all in the GB group but unfortunately I've just got way too much on. Currently everything is being put on hold (potentially up to a year) as I attend to other things. But hopefully once this is done I should be back in the groove and posting regularly again.

Anyway, Graham's Bismarck will be a terrific build and a stunning model on completion of that I have no doubt.

Looking forward to both builds I will follow with interest.

Cheers
P

F

Fenlander

I'd love to join both you, Graham and all in the GB group but unfortunately I've just got way too much on. Currently everything is being put on hold (potentially up to a year) as I attend to other things. But hopefully once this is done I should be back in the groove and posting regularly again.

Anyway, Graham's Bismarck will be a terrific build and a stunning model on completion of that I have no doubt.

Looking forward to both builds I will follow with interest.

Cheers
P
Cheers guys, you have talked me out of slicing its bottom off;)

Don't get too excited about my build Paul. I am not going overboard (groan) with this. My aim is to build it purely for the fun of it. This is my first decent ship build in 1/350 scale so I have no Ida how it will turn out.

F

Fenlander

OK, with the Triumph now, erm, triumphant.... it is time to izzy, wizzy, get back to the bizzy...

With the four 380mm main turrets done as far as I can at the moment it's time to move onto the six 150mm secondary turrets. Obviously smaller than the main turrets, they actually have more photo etch :sad:

First up though, replace the barrels.

DSC_0122.JPG

Then the PE

DSC_0123.JPG

And the result

DSC_0125.JPG

Might be tricky to see but it's there lol.

Based on the time it took me to do these six turrets, I will be in my nineties when this is ready to launch:oops: but as far as the guns are concerned, that is the easy bit done. From now in, it gets tricky:eek:

First Name
Robert
They do make a difference Polux surprisingly weighty too.

Hi Graham looked at those barrels ( they look very nice indeed ) will they be a problem with weight if you wabtt I elevate them ( stress on the plastic joints??

I agree with you on the PE it pings and that's it unless you can find it

Regards

Robert