Ferrari 360 Modena

D

dougie

Here is my next build, along side helping Lucy with her wee rally car. This build will take a while as I am going to be busy over the summer but I'll try to keep this updated

I will be painting it in Zero Paints Rosso Corsa, I have to order a bigger needle set for my airbrush first though as I have a 0.2mm needle and I really struggle to get a good job done on bodies with it (obviously I'd like a fan pattern spray mini spray gun but at £330 and the need of a new compressor to run it that won't be happening any time soon!)

So far I have Primed the body with Tamiya from a can - to compare it to the Vallejo primer - of which it will get a light coat before the Red goes on. Seems to do a great job but... its quite expensive to use cans!

View media item 8326View media item 8325

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That's going to look sweet ........ I'm in for watchig this one.

D

dougie

Had a nightmare at the weekend... The red paint for the body reacted with the Vallejo primer even after a complete most coat or two. All the paint wrinkled and was ruined.

I then used something a little too strong to remove the paint and the body became soft and some of it broke and some of it dissolved :mad:.

I was ready to give up and then I decided to modify the body and have some fun, not take it too seriously!

View media item 8332View media item 8333View media item 8334View media item 8335

D

dougie

Cheers guys, yes I will make something good from it. I will not be defeated.

As for live and learn, on my first build I did a paint compatibility test, this time... I didn't. so yes, you're right mate

D

dougie

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Next update, this has been really difficult to rescue due in part to my lack of experience but it has been fun and as with my last build, a big learning curve on a cheap model. Which was the intention but I didn't think it would be so difficult- well I did melt the Shell lol
Still some sanding and another couple of coats of primer required

View media item 8336View media item 8337View media item 8338View media item 8339View media item 8340
Back on track nice recovery well done loving the new additions to the body work.

D

dougie

\ said:
I liked it before the primer went on! Kinda groovy maaan View attachment 121829
Yeah, the halfords filler primer is a mental mustard colour. Red green and mustard o_O.

For future reference... Squadron putty can crack if it's over painted with Halford's paint. It did this only on the bonnet where the filler was thick.

D

dougie

I have had my first crack at an engine... It was already glued partially together so I haven't gone as far as to clean it up and fill it, I've just primed and painted what was there so far. I havetried to give the components a slightly different wash each to make it look more like the real thing as in the pictures on Google! the rocker covers are slightly more dark grey than the suggested aluminium all over and the gear box has had a very light wash of rubber tyre paint. I have not done this to 'weather' the engine- I'm still un decided about how appropriate oil washing for shading is as on most things it looks like oil has been spilled on everything and not cleaned up!

To anyone watching please provide some criticism so I can improve!!!

View media item 8345View media item 8344View media item 8343

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Use some black oil paint, thin down with white spirit and use a thin brush to get it run along seams. Alternatively to give that shiny engine block a more used look, do the same again but this time use a fine sponge (make-up sponges are great for this) and dab it all over, it tends to dull down the shine and gives it that slightly dirty look.

Looking good Dougie, nice work so far mate.

Si:smiling3:

D

dougie

\ said:
Use some black oil paint, thin down with white spirit and use a thin brush to get it run along seams. Alternatively to give that shiny engine block a more used look, do the same again but this time use a fine sponge (make-up sponges are great for this) and dab it all over, it tends to dull down the shine and gives it that slightly dirty look.
Looking good Dougie, nice work so far mate.

Excellent, the sponge suggestion will be tried. I did think it was bright but really want site how to get the aluminium dulled.

Any preferences on something like alclad over Tamiya? I have one alclad paint but as I primed in acrylic I have Just gone for Tamiya on this build

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use both and rattle can etc and all seem to work okay.

This is the effect you get on Ali with a thinned oil wash:

View attachment 111232

The blade has been primed, then coated in ali spray, once dry it had a oil wash and sponged, it dulls the shine and gives a slight black patchy-ness. Of course you would do it finer and to scale.

p6047377-jpg.122146.jpg

D

dougie

Lovely.

I was considering for future builds how to add a fine texture so that a light oil wash can sit in the troughs and then a very very light dry brush can highlight the peaks.

Dont know how to achieve the texture though

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
One thing I do is to do the main paint colour, do all your bits and pieces and leave to dry. Then seal it with a varnish and leave to dry. Now you can do a pin wash-again use thinned oils and a very fine brush in panel lines etc, you will find that the thinned paint will flow around objects, any excess can be cleaned up using a cotton bud and some thinners. Once dry you can then dry brush your colour to highlight raised areas etc.