Ferrari 360 Modena

D

dougie

I'm

\ said:
"Progressive resistance", I like to call it! ;)
Nice build up of the paint!! :smiling3:
I have had to sand a wee bit on the bonnet but the zero paints are just so nice to use it shouldn't take much more to blend it back in. Should have 're primed the area but thought I'd risk it.

I'm working away now so no updates at the moment. I will get the lights and engine lid done next and clear them as soon as I can, that will spur me on to finish this.

First Name
Richard
Looks great so far Dougie,

as Snowman said, nice build up of the paint.

Cheers Richi

D

dougie

\ said:
Looks great so far Dougie,
as Snowman said, nice build up of the paint.

Cheers Richi
Thanks mate, encouragement always welcome as is cc ;)

J

jono

\ said:
Ok, I thought stuff it, let's get some colour on this... It has gone on nicely but I need to get a volume tank for the compressor. Too much water hitting the model on occasion even with 2 regulator / filters.
There is a wee bit of sanding required I think, a couple of wee sanding marks from the primer fiasco and a couple of wee marks on the bonnet from a possible filler reaction that seemed to just happen this afternoon. Booger.

View media item 8362View media item 8363View media item 8364View media item 8365View media item 8366

Oh excuse the phone white balance. Like 4 options, none work
Think I will send you my Alpine Body for the spray job mate... ;) ;)

John.

D

dougie

\ said:
Think I will send you my Alpine Body for the spray job mate... ;) ;)
John.
I'm sure you don't need to haha, there are mistakes in there for sure!

what paints are you going to use on it? I have very limited experience but honestly the zero paints are so nice, no need for a wet coat as the clear does that so you can slowly build up the paint and it Drys really quickly as well if you keep the coats nice and thin. Not as good for your health as some but the finish is the main concern here

Cheers

J

jono

\ said:
I'm sure you don't need to haha, there are mistakes in there for sure!
what paints are you going to use on it? I have very limited experience but honestly the zero paints are so nice, no need for a wet coat as the clear does that so you can slowly build up the paint and it Drys really quickly as well if you keep the coats nice and thin. Not as good for your health as some but the finish is the main concern here

Cheers
Like you I will be using zero paint as they do the factory blue for the A110 Alpine. Yes I know the paint ia a bit naughty for your health but I always use a spray booth & extractor fan, together with a proper mask as my lungs are no good anyway so normally only use acrylic paints.. :smiling3: .

Tamiya do a spray can but so ive read you have to wait weeks for the paint to de-gas before you can clear coat it..... :sad:

D

dougie

\ said:
Like you I will be using zero paint as they do the factory blue for the A110 Alpine. Yes I know the paint ia a bit naughty for your health but I always use a spray booth & extractor fan, together with a proper mask as my lungs are no good anyway so normally only use acrylic paints.. :smiling3: .
Tamiya do a spray can but so ive read you have to wait weeks for the paint to de-gas before you can clear coat it..... :sad:
I used tamiya spray cans on my scoobie. You can do the clear right after the base at the same time frame as you would do another base coat and it will apparently not be a problem. So far I have had no issues. I then waited a good few weeks before doing the decals and the last clear coat - this time I used zero paints clear on top. If you leave it a couple of hours then yes you need to wait about a month to do the clear.

J

jono

\ said:
I used tamiya spray cans on my scoobie. You can do the clear right after the base at the same time frame as you would do another base coat and it will apparently not be a problem. So far I have had no issues. I then waited a good few weeks before doing the decals and the last clear coat - this time I used zero paints clear on top. If you leave it a couple of hours then yes you need to wait about a month to do the clear.
OK! Thanks for "Clearing";) that up for me mate... :D :D.

D

dougie

Last night I used my new compressor and spray gun to try a couple of mist coats and a light coat of clear to the body.

The gun is quite powerful and kicked up a few dust specs I now need to sand out and I still need to try running it at a lower pressure but overall the coverage increase is pretty impressive and far easier than trying to use an airbrush.

Excuse the rubbish phone photo, I left my work phone at work and this one is not working right. I hope to lightly sand and get a second thicker cost on tonight with less orange peel, we will see.

View media item 8372

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Last night I used my new compressor and spray gun to try a couple of mist coats and a light coat of clear to the body.
The gun is quite powerful and kicked up a few dust specs I now need to sand out and I still need to try running it at a lower pressure but overall the coverage increase is pretty impressive and far easier than trying to use an airbrush.

Excuse the rubbish phone photo, I left my work phone at work and this one is not working right. I hope to lightly sand and get a second thicker cost on tonight with less orange peel, we will see.

View media item 8372
Looking sweet what's this gun you talk of Dougie.

D

dougie

\ said:
Looking sweet what's this gun you talk of Dougie.
Iwata rg-3. It's a baby class spray gun rather than an airbrush. It covers the bodies and bigger panels much better and quicker than an ab allowing a good wet coat before flashing off rather than a serious of wet strokes or a far too heavy wet coat.

I think these videos cover it

D

dougie

Will take a good effort and more learning to get this clear coat right. I had the technique with the AB kind of sussed but I think it's just a case of dropping the pressure a little and increasing the flow.

The clear is thinned for an airbrush so I don't think it needs 30-50psi through the gun but I could be wrong.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Iwata rg-3. It's a baby class spray gun rather than an airbrush. It covers the bodies and bigger panels much better and quicker than an ab allowing a good wet coat before flashing off rather than a serious of wet strokes or a far too heavy wet coat.
I think these videos cover it

Great videos Dougie. I know what a wet coat is but never heard of a flashling off ?

D

dougie

\ said:
Great videos Dougie. I know what a wet coat is but never heard of a flashling off ?
Flashing off is the worst of the solvent evaporating I think. You can see it happening right as you watch the video or spray, yourself.

D

dougie