First diorama - The Choice

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking very good. Spraying the static grass black and then painting it has worked well.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. Spraying the static grass black and then painting it has worked well.
Thanks Jim. Yeah, I'm really pleased with how the grass came out. At first it seems mad, but gets better and better as you work up the colours. Slow, but good fun.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul that really is good, nice undulating ground work which always adds interest. Love the tree, roots very nice , the fern really adds to the look .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
20230903_091757.jpg
Using Deluxe Materials' Model Lite lightweight filler for the substantial gaps. Just added some bridging filler to begin with to stabilise the sides, then filling in with more Model Lite once the bridging has gone off. The filler can be tinted with inks, which makes it a bit runnier, but well worth doing for this application I think.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
View attachment 489866
Using Deluxe Materials' Model Lite lightweight filler for the substantial gaps. Just added some bridging filler to begin with to stabilise the sides, then filling in with more Model Lite once the bridging has gone off. The filler can be tinted with inks, which makes it a bit runnier, but well worth doing for this application I think.
Great to see all this back on the bench Paul. It is excellent work and deserves to be finished…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
For better or worse, this is finished. Unfortunately I can only see its many weaknesses. Compositionally I almost couldn't have got it more wrong. I was trying to create tension between the three figures, with The Beast wrongfooted by the two warriors giving him a dilemma of which way to turn.

Unfortunately it also means that all three face in to the centre of the piece - there's no way to see their faces easily, even one at a time, much less all together. This means there's no comfortable primary view - hopeless! I mean, by all means make it interesting from multiple angles, but the lack of one dominant viewpoint is SO frustrating! Still, I learned a huge amount in its construction (chiefly that I should've reined back my ambitions for a first try). I'll put a few more images in the Completed dioramas section.
20240215_161951.jpg20240215_161925.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent stuff, Paul.
Why reign back ambitions? Feet first, I say.....
You write you have learned a lot from this model. That is the idea. Everyone has something to learn from all their 'attempts'

I'm not one to criticize either. I leave that to others.

Great work.

Ron