Geoffers Airfix 1/72 NakajimaB5N2 “Kate” (Club Edition)

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Chaps,

Firstly thank you to Andy for organising this GB :thumb2:

This is my intended victim :smiling4:

IMG_2723.jpeg
Box art
IMG_2724.jpeg
One big bag of runners
IMG_2725.jpeg
Newish style of instructions
IMG_2726.jpeg
A nice colour call out sheet
IMG_2727.jpeg
Cartograph decals

I’m planning on primarily building it out of the box apart from adding some seat harnesses which I have ordered.

It includes decals for two of the original release schemes plus extra decals for a captured aircraft and the one I intend to do in a surrender scheme.

I’ll explain a bit more about this once the build starts.

Looking forward to the start now :smiling:

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Geoff, just checked this kit out on the net, looks to be very nice indeed and gets lots of plaudits :thumb2: ,
All in all an excellent choice Sir, looking forward to seeing it progress :nerd:.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
This looks interesting Geoff! I've never seen or heard of those green markings before. Definitely different...Then again, I seem to be stuck in 1917 lately. Have fun!

Prost
Allen

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great choice geoff , like all the new Airfix toolings this looks like a lovely kit. Fantastic choice of markings too , dont think ive ever seen the surrender scheme modelled before. Cheers tony

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hi Geoff, just checked this kit out on the net, looks to be very nice indeed and gets lots of plaudits :thumb2: ,
All in all an excellent choice Sir, looking forward to seeing it progress :nerd:.
Thank you Andy :thumb2:
This looks interesting Geoff! I've never seen or heard of those green markings before. Definitely different...Then again, I seem to be stuck in 1917 lately. Have fun!

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen, I hadn’t heard of them either. I’ll explain a bit about them when I kick off the build ;)
Looking forward to this Geoff, an interesting choice.
Thanks Joe, I’m looking forward to starting it :smiling:

Nice one Geoff, something a little different
Cheers Mick, the markings certainly are :thumb2:

Great choice geoff , like all the new Airfix toolings this looks like a lovely kit. Fantastic choice of markings too , dont think ive ever seen the surrender scheme modelled before. Cheers tony
Thanks Tony, to be honest I’d never heard of them until I saw this kit :thinking:

Hopefully I’ll be able to get it started next week.

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello Chaps,

I’m about to start the build but firstly as promised here’s the plastic. X5 runners of grey plastic and x1 clear. The plastic seems a bit crisper than a lot of Airfix kits so hopefully should be good to work with.

IMG_2741.jpeg
IMG_2742.jpeg
IMG_2743.jpeg
IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg

These have also arrived to spruce up the cockpit.
IMG_2755.jpeg

I also said I would explain about the
surrender markings.

After the second Atomic bomb was used on Nagasaki the Japanese finally agreed to unconditional surrender.

As part of the surrender process Japanese envoys had to travel to various locations across the Pacific to offer their formal surrender to the local allied commanders.

For this they used aircraft which had been ordered by the Allied Supreme Command to have the the camouflage painted over with white paint and green crosses painted over the Hironamu.
This was so that they would not be mistaken for potential Kamikaze aircraft and be shot down.

I’ve added a link to a more detailed explanation:

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/green-cross-to-bear

IMG_2740.jpeg
I’ve managed to find a picture of. “Kate” in surrender markings, looks like it has been dumped among some other captured aircraft.

So on with the build which begins surprisingly not with the cockpit but the wings :surprised:

There are options for wings to be folded/unfolded and also holes drilled for the various weapon loads. None of which were needed for this build so it was a simple matter of cementing the wing halves together and building the cockpit up on top of the upper wing.

Progress so far :smiling:
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2750.jpeg

That’s it so far, another update soon.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Attachments

• IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2753.jpeg
    IMG_2753.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Wow, just read the article in Geoff's link. I never knew about the 'surrender' aircraft/markings. Really interesting piece of history.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello Chaps,

I’m about to start the build but firstly as promised here’s the plastic. X5 runners of grey plastic and x1 clear. The plastic seems a bit crisper than a lot of Airfix kits so hopefully should be good to work with.

View attachment 485538
View attachment 485545
View attachment 485548
View attachment 485541
View attachment 485542

These have also arrived to spruce up the cockpit.
View attachment 485549

I also said I would explain about the
surrender markings.

After the second Atomic bomb was used on Nagasaki the Japanese finally agreed to unconditional surrender.

As part of the surrender process Japanese envoys had to travel to various locations across the Pacific to offer their formal surrender to the local allied commanders.

For this they used aircraft which had been ordered by the Allied Supreme Command to have the the camouflage painted over with white paint and green crosses painted over the Hironamu.
This was so that they would not be mistaken for potential Kamikaze aircraft and be shot down.

I’ve added a link to a more detailed explanation:

https://www.vintagewings.ca/stories/green-cross-to-bear

View attachment 485515
I’ve managed to find a picture of. “Kate” in surrender markings, looks like it has been dumped among some other captured aircraft.

So on with the build which begins surprisingly not with the cockpit but the wings :surprised:

There are options for wings to be folded/unfolded and also holes drilled for the various weapon loads. None of which were needed for this build so it was a simple matter of cementing the wing halves together and building the cockpit up on top of the upper wing.

Progress so far :smiling:
View attachment 485550
View attachment 485551
View attachment 485543
View attachment 485544

That’s it so far, another update soon.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.
Excellent update Geoff :smiling3:
The kit looks really well detailed,hard to believe it's braille scale.... and all 3 aircrew provided, that's a refreshing change. ;)
Good, steady progress underway.
Great bit of info regarding the surrender scheme too,a very interesting read. :smiling3:
Top stuff mate!!