Geoffers Airfix 1/72 NakajimaB5N2 “Kate” (Club Edition)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looks very I really like the office nice details

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

Sorry for the long gap since the last update. I have had a real mojo crash and couldn’t garner enough interest to carry on with the build.
However with Autumn rolling on my mojo has improved so I’ll see if I can get it finished before the closing date

With the construction more or less completed it was time to get some paint on my t.
I’ve painted the underside in Vallejo model Air 71. 302 sky type S which is a reasonable approximation of the Airfix call out. It will have white painted on top so it doesn’t need to be too accurate.

IMG_2986.jpeg

The upper side has been painted with Vallejo Model Air 71.124 usaf green with a drop of black added 10/1 to darken it to closer match the IJA green/black recommended in the colour call out.

IMG_2987.jpeg
Some seams need a bit of attention before it gets another spray over with Green.

Once these have had sufficient time to cure it will get its final overcoat of white.

It’s a lovely little kit but one disappointing thing I’ve found is some hair like markings on the canopies.

IMG_2985.jpeg

I was going to have a completely closed canopy but am not happy to use this now. The semi-open canopy option has similar distortions but not as obvious so I’ll use that instead :rolling:

Thanks for looking, another update soon.

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hey hey.. Geoffers is back!!;)
No need to apologise mate,it happens to all of us:thumb2:,
Looking very nice there ... shame about the crack in the canopy bit, nevermind though, I'm sure it'll all be fine :cool:.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Glad the mojo is on the up. Painting looks good. Shame about the marks on the canopy. If it's not actually a crack it might sand/ polish out. Open canopies look good anyway.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely! I really need to finish mine!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hey hey.. Geoffers is back!!;)
No need to apologise mate,it happens to all of us:thumb2:,
Looking very nice there ... shame about the crack in the canopy bit, nevermind though, I'm sure it'll all be fine
Glad the mojo is on the up. Painting looks good. Shame about the marks on the canopy. If it's not actually a crack it might sand/ polish out. Open canopies look good anyway.
Coming on nicely! I really need to finish mine!

Cheers Andy, Jim and Andrew :thumb2:

Fortunately there are x3 canopy options included so not a disaster :smiling4:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Quick up date,

I’m hsvto get a bit of a wiggle on to get it finished but so far so good.

The seam’s that revealed themselves after the upper coat of paint have been filled and sanded and another top coat added.

IMG_2991.jpeg

I’m quite pleased with the finish but it will be covered up soon with the all over white coat. I’m going to try and leave a hint of the original colour showing through as I’m pretty sure the white finish would have been quite rudimentary.

Canopy is also nearly masked so that will be painted up soon too.

Another update soon, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
A bit more progress today.

Construction completed apart from the smaller parts which will be left off until the end.

Canopy masked and cemented into place and the engine and cowls have been added.

IMG_2994.jpeg
IMG_2995.jpeg

Paints not very tidy on the underside but it will been over painted with white so I’m not overly bothered.

IMG_2997.jpeg

I’m going to leave it overnight to settle then all being well it will be given it’s final top coat tomorrow :smiling4:

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Late to the party as usual for me Geoff...apologies. But good thing there was a mojo stall that let me catch up.
Interesting on the surrender markings. Also the progress and cockpit look great. Bought the Pearl Harbour version of the kit 7 years ago and kicking myself for not starting on it. Have to bump it up on my list after seeing your build.

Cheers,
Wabble

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Late to the party as usual for me Geoff...apologies. But good thing there was a mojo stall that let me catch up.
Interesting on the surrender markings. Also the progress and cockpit look great. Bought the Pearl Harbour version of the kit 7 years ago and kicking myself for not starting on it. Have to bump it up on my list after seeing your build.

Cheers,
Wabble

Thanks Richard :thumb2:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Phew, finished at last :smiling6:

Thanks to Andy for running the GB.

Not my best work but I’m pleased to get it done before the end date.

After the last update it was given an all over coat of Vallejo Model Air 71.279 Insignia White which I really struggled to get this down well, it didn’t flow well at all and I’m toying with the idea of changing from acrylic paints. after all the frustration :confounded:

The canopy is a bit messy too, so overall I’m a bit disappointed with the finish. The kit itself though is very good, builds nicely and has a lot of detail, well done Airfix.

Once dry it had the few transfers added. (thankfully no stencils :smiling4:) before I finished it off with a matt coat.

It’s had minimal weathering as I thought they were freshly painted then hardly used after the surrender process. I used oil paints to add a bit of interest.

IMG_3006.jpegIMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3007.jpeg
IMG_3009.jpeg

I’ll post some more pics on the completed aircraft section soon.

Thanks for looking and the encouragement during the build :thumb2:

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Geoff,
Firstly, thanks to you for joining in on this GB :thumb2:.
I think that's turned out very nicely indeed mate,an unusual scheme which adds that extra "something" to the gallery of completed aircraft that have graced this team effort :cool:,
I look forward to seeing more pics in the "completed" section :hugging-face:.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hi Geoff,
Firstly, thanks to you for joining in on this GB :thumb2:.
I think that's turned out very nicely indeed mate,an unusual scheme which adds that extra "something" to the gallery of completed aircraft that have graced this team effort :cool:,
I look forward to seeing more pics in the "completed" section :hugging-face:.

Thanks Andy, glad it looks ok in the pics. It certainly looks different in the cabinet :smiling5:

Geoff,
That's a great result and very unusual with those markings.
Cheers Scottie, yes they are unusual and something I’d never come across before :thumb2:

Geoff.