Geoffers - Italeri 1/72 Wessex UH.5 - Royal Navy Rescue helicopter

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm next to Scottie in the front please Geoff. :smiling3:
Always liked these things since going to "Navy Days",(anyone remember that?!! Used to be on for 3days,so many Ships,Subs and Army/Marine's displays.... It was AWESOME...these days we could stage the equivalent in my back garden!! :sad: ),In Devonport as a little'n, even was given a short trip in one with my Dad,not cos we were special... Just cos it was offered to all who wanted to queue up.... No such,unnecessary mamby Pamby Health and safety intrusions back then!!
Anyway,rant over...
I'm in :smiling3:
.... Could've just said that in the first place eh?!! ;)

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Geoff,
I will follow along if I may.

You are very welcome Scottie :thumb2:

Always liked these things since going to "Navy Days",(anyone remember that?!! Used to be on for 3days,so many Ships,Subs and Army/Marine's displays.... It was AWESOME...these days we could stage the equivalent in my back garden!! :sad: ),In Devonport as a little'n, even was given a short trip in one with my Dad,not cos we were special... Just cos it was offered to all who wanted to queue up.... No such,unnecessary mamby Pamby Health and safety intrusions back then!!
Anyway,rant over...

Those were the days, rant fully justified :smiling:

Glad to have you along :thumb2:

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You are very welcome Scottie :thumb2:

Those were the days, rant fully justified :smiling:

Glad to have you along :thumb2:

Geoff.
They certainly were :smiling3:
However, enough of my rants now,
.... Looking forward to your build...
.. What are the details like?! :smiling3:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looks ok Andy but I haven’t opened the bag for a good look yet .

I may have a look for some pe to ‘bling’ it up a bit depending on what I find.

I’m just hoping it goes together better than the last Italeri helicopter I tackled, the MH-53 Sea Dragon which was a bit of a challenge :confounded:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

Finally got chance to have a good look at the spurs and get a few pictures.

7221FB24-A013-42B5-9D66-E93F106DB1F7.jpeg8F47F92D-F32B-4CE2-A384-C38512511082.jpeg
3D1EEFE7-E859-497C-AE66-0F8EEEF65769.jpeg

Only x2 main sprues and x1 clear sprue.

Not bad detail for the scale.

525F84F7-B1CA-4B12-B1EA-9D558E7CA4C1.jpeg

A722C532-3039-42FB-8B32-D8C8897B9A12.jpeg

487B857C-C7FF-4F8C-96F9-00DD4439685F.jpeg
Some nice ejector pin marks to sort out :confounded:

I’ve ordered a pe set to jazz it up a bit so will hold off starting till it arrives.

I’m hoping to have the door of the cabin open but am struggling to find any pictures of the interior of a rescue version of the Wessex, could anyone point me to any online pictures please.

Another update once the build starts.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m hoping to have the door of the cabin open but am struggling to find any pictures of the interior of a rescue version of the Wessex, could anyone point me to any online pictures please.
Do these help?
Not sure it’s actually a SAR variant, or how that would differ from the normal one on the inside, though …

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hello chaps,

Finally got chance to have a good look at the spurs and get a few pictures.

View attachment 470979View attachment 470982
View attachment 470983

Only x2 main sprues and x1 clear sprue.

Not bad detail for the scale.

View attachment 470991

View attachment 470992

View attachment 470993
Some nice ejector pin marks to sort out :confounded:

I’ve ordered a pe set to jazz it up a bit so will hold off starting till it arrives.

Another update once the build starts.

Cheers,

Geoff.
I agree with Jim,the detail looks pretty good.
A shame about the pin marks,but I'm sure you'll be able to sort them out easily enough :smiling3:
Looking forward to seeing this one come together.....
...Some nice refs from good old Jakko there too,you can usually rely on him to come up trumps with stuff ;)

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Do these help?
Not sure it’s actually a SAR variant, or how that would differ from the normal one on the inside, though …

Cheers Jakko they are great, may need to add some rivets and internal wiring by the look of it :surprised:

I was wondering in particular if the SAR version kept all the seats in or removed some to make room for stretchers. I haven’t been able to establish that yet but I’ll keep looking.

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
That looks a nice kit Geoff. The detail seems decent. I'll join the watchers.
Glad to have you along Jim :thumb2:

I agree with Jim,the detail looks pretty good.
A shame about the pin marks,but I'm sure you'll be able to sort them out easily enough :smiling3:
Looking forward to seeing this one come together.....
...Some nice refs from good old Jakko there too,you can usually rely on him to come up trumps with stuff ;)

Cheers Andy.

Geoff.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
may need to add some rivets and internal wiring by the look of it :surprised:
Just a little, was my first thought when I found them :smiling3:

I was wondering in particular if the SAR version kept all the seats in or removed some to make room for stretchers.
I wish I knew, but I suppose they would have kept at least some seats? Perhaps seats on one side, room for a stretcher on the other?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
IM in as well looking forward to seein this come togeather after building seaking x3 for achange
chrisb

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Anyway,rant over...
Used to love going to these as a Kid. Mum and Dad usually timed our camping holiday to time on the right week. The Commando’s (42 I think) were doing rides round the docks on their Rigid Raiders…we were on the last ride of the day and the 10 min cruise turned into a half hour adrenaline ride right round the sound. Those boats can travel! We were soaked by the end. One of the marines also gave me and my brother a good handful of spent blanks cartridges with the words ”you didn’t get these from me”, absolutely made our day!

Sorry for the hijack Geoff, build is looking great so far!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Anyway,rant over...
Andy , Navy Days were awesome! And how about the Field Gun Race (even the smaller Brickhills Run!)? 'Elf & Safety - you don't know what you've done to us!
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I can remember the yellow version flying along the shore line at Frinton and the guy in the cabin would wave way back in the 60's
Will follow along please.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Used to love going to these as a Kid. Mum and Dad usually timed our camping holiday to time on the right week. The Commando’s (42 I think) were doing rides round the docks on their Rigid Raiders…we were on the last ride of the day and the 10 min cruise turned into a half hour adrenaline ride right round the sound. Those boats can travel! We were soaked by the end. One of the marines also gave me and my brother a good handful of spent blanks cartridges with the words ”you didn’t get these from me”, absolutely made our day!

Sorry for the hijack Geoff, build is looking great so far!

No probs Jack, interesting memories :smiling4:
Andy , Navy Days were awesome! And how about the Field Gun Race (even the smaller Brickhills Run!)? 'Elf & Safety - you don't know what you've done to us!
Steve

Navy Days sound like they were a lot of fun.
Never had chance to go to one unfortunately :worried:
Looks interesting. Always thought there was something of the dragonfly about these. Good looking paint scheme as well.

Yes Tim, I agree they do :thinking:

I can remember the yellow version flying along the shore line at Frinton and the guy in the cabin would wave way back in the 60's
Will follow along please.

Welcome along John :thumb2:

Geoff