Geoffers - Italeri 1/72 Wessex UH.5 - Royal Navy Rescue helicopter

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cheers Doug, that’s interesting to know, I might add a little bit more weathering to that area before the final photos :thumb2:
If it was my Wessex, (as in full size Wx), it wouldn't need too much weathering. I used to 'cheat' in an attempt to keep clean. A rag soaked in hydraulic oil would remove the grease very efficiently, then a quick buff with a clean rag and the perspex shone. (Downside - the Hyd Fluid crazed the perspex).
Because of naval aircrafts proximity to the sea, 771 Wessex were often 10 to 20 feet off the sea and its corrosive effects on the alloys used in the frames and skin. They were frequently washed with fresh water then coated with poor mans WD40 after. This occurred daily.
In the early days, 60's and 70's WD40 was used to protect the skin, it also gave the skin a nice shiny coat. The cheaper substitute MoD named PX24 didn't leave such a high shine! in fact it smeared terribly.
Another 'fact'. Not all SAR helicopters in the RN were of the Blue and DayGlo orange variety. 706 Squadron at Culdrose who did the night and long range SAR in their Sea Kings were all dark sea blue. As were 819 Squadron at Prestwick Ayrshire. (Thats the unit I did SAR duties on). In the early 90's 819 SAR Sea kings were replaced by a detachment of 771's Sea King 6's in the standard RN SAR livery of blue and dayglo!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Geoff,
Just had a good catch up, that is a great result mate very nicely done.