Geoffers - Italeri 1/72 Wessex UH.5 - Royal Navy Rescue helicopter

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Geoff, but I'm even later than Andrew! Did a good ketchup and can only marvel at your work in this tiny scale. The extras, including the yellow suit are most excellent Sir. paint looks tops too!!! I'll try to keep up now, to the finish line. Between naps of course.............

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Geoff!

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking the part now.

Andy.
Thanks Andy :thumb2:

Sorry Geoff, but I'm even later than Andrew! Did a good ketchup and can only marvel at your work in this tiny scale. The extras, including the yellow suit are most excellent Sir. paint looks tops too!!! I'll try to keep up now, to the finish line. Between naps of course.............

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen, no problem better late than never :smiling4:

Coming on nicely Geoff!
Thank you Andrew :thumb2:

Ooh nice!
Cheers Neil :smiling:
Looking really good Geoff. Excellent progress - a really smart looking Wessex.
Cheers
Paul
Thank you Paul :thumb2:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Hello chaps,

The finish line is definitely in sight now :smiling4:

Thought you may like to see it now all the transfers are on.

As previously mentioned some of these have been tricky and have not gone on as well as I would have liked.

It’s also had a satin clear coat to seal them ready for weathering.

84031030-4DAA-424A-9849-08B6317ACED2.jpeg
89AEDA14-8522-471C-B51E-8A8C271C8263.jpeg
F2076CAB-4987-4E75-AE8A-C3054621F8ED.jpeg
1C1D6B0E-FD13-4594-A423-736C54978E09.jpeg

Looking at reference photos the real XT471 was kept pretty clean so I’m going to keep the weathering quite light.
Once that’s completed it will be final assembly of all the smaller parts and the rotors.

Should be finished by the end of next week, fingers crossed.

Thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Geoff I like that inside equipment pics and how you made them very impressive. I’m glad I dropped by before this goes across the finish line.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have had the privilege to have flown in 524 at Culdrose. (771 NAS). Even jumped out of it into the sea, (Falmouth Harbour actually).
Nice to see someone do a replica of the, what was then, work horse of the Royal Navy). (Not only was 771 a SAR unit it was also responsible for the training of the RN's aircrewmen).
Superb job, @Geoffers you have done the aircraft and 771 proud.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Fantastic build.Ive got 2 to build myself.Ones half constructed and ive had the Modeldecals sets for years so im not hopeful.We had an RAF visit our school in 1983 when i was 14.Seem to remember it was grey and green one from lord knows where.
Lovely model!!!!!.
Richard

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Geoff I like that inside equipment pics and how you made them very impressive. I’m glad I dropped by before this goes across the finish line.

Thanks Lee :thumb2:
I have had the privilege to have flown in 524 at Culdrose. (771 NAS). Even jumped out of it into the sea, (Falmouth Harbour actually).
Nice to see someone do a replica of the, what was then, work horse of the Royal Navy). (Not only was 771 a SAR unit it was also responsible for the training of the RN's aircrewmen).
Superb job, @Geoffers you have done the aircraft and 771 proud.

Thank you Doug. Wow I feel humbled, I’m very glad it passes muster :smiling4:

Fantastic build.Ive got 2 to build myself.Ones half constructed and ive had the Modeldecals sets for years so im not hopeful.We had an RAF visit our school in 1983 when i was 14.Seem to remember it was grey and green one from lord knows where.
Lovely model!!!!!.
Richard

Thank you Richard, fingers crossed your Modeldecal sheet is a better example than mine was :thumb2:

Geoff.

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
And we’re done :smiling4:

75B089BC-A47B-489F-B8C6-8575C5992318.jpeg

So as you can see it’s finally completed.

The rotors turned out to be a bit tricky, being very fragile. Three of them snapped at the join to the rotor head while I was assembling it. I had to pin them with a bit of brass rod after some careful drilling :fearful: otherwise it all went together well.

I think it was kept pretty clean looking at pictures of the real 524. I’ve kept the weathering light with this in mind just giving it a wash/filter of highly diluted Abteilung 502 oil Abt510 Starship Filth followed by a coat of Vallejo satin varnish to seal it all in.

The windows were all unmasked, always a worry cause you never know what you will find underneath :cold-sweat:

Fortunately the masking had done it’s job for the most part with just a tiny bit of bleed through which was carefully removed with a cocktail stick.

Then it was just a case of adding all the ancillary parts. The only hitch was the instructions showed the ? Ariel masts in the wrong location compared to the reference photos of the real machine so I put these in the correct place (hopefully).

I’ll take a full set of photos and post up a final reveal thread next week as I haven’t got a lot of spare time this weekend and don’t want to rush and spoil them.

I might add some Ariel wires depending if I have the correct gauge rigging thread.

4EB49000-2BFC-4798-BA07-D44439A7AA9F.jpeg

Hope you like the final result, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Geoff,

That's brilliant! An exceptional finish. Very well done indeed!

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks very good :smiling3: I wouldn’t have guessed the rotor blades had broken, so the fix clearly went well.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
And we’re done :smiling4:

View attachment 477773

So as you can see it’s finally completed.

The rotors turned out to be a bit tricky, being very fragile. Three of them snapped at the join to the rotor head while I was assembling it. I had to pin them with a bit of brass rod after some careful drilling :fearful: otherwise it all went together well.

I think it was kept pretty clean looking at pictures of the real 524. I’ve kept the weathering light with this in mind just giving it a wash/filter of highly diluted Abteilung 502 oil Abt510 Starship Filth followed by a coat of Vallejo satin varnish to seal it all in.

The windows were all unmasked, always a worry cause you never know what you will find underneath :cold-sweat:

Fortunately the masking had done it’s job for the most part with just a tiny bit of bleed through which was carefully removed with a cocktail stick.

Then it was just a case of adding all the ancillary parts. The only hitch was the instructions showed the ? Ariel masts in the wrong location compared to the reference photos of the real machine so I put these in the correct place (hopefully).

I’ll take a full set of photos and post up a final reveal thread next week as I haven’t got a lot of spare time this weekend and don’t want to rush and spoil them.

I might add some Ariel wires depending if I have the correct gauge rigging thread.

View attachment 477774

Hope you like the final result, thanks for looking :thumb2:

Geoff.
Wow! Excellent stuff Geoff. :smiling3:
.... Especially in that scale ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a great result Geoff. You've done an excellent job. You are right to keep the weathering light as I'm sure these were very well maintained.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That is a great result Geoff. You've done an excellent job. You are right to keep the weathering light as I'm sure these were very well maintained.
And also heavily used!! Wessex were renowned for throwing grease off the rotor head onto the upper cockpit perspex and down the tail cone!!! Not so much exhaust marking but definitely off the head!!! (It was a pig of a job greasing it - 56 grease nipples all requiring masses of XG284 which had to be purged i.e. totally replace the old grease). There lies the tale of someone wo has done plenty of rotor head greases over the years!!!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Superb Geoff, that is a spectacular result. A stunning looking Wessex and one to be proud of.
Cheers
Paul

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Geoff,

That's brilliant! An exceptional finish. Very well done indeed!

ATB.

Andrew
Thank you Andrew :thumb2:

That looks very good :smiling3: I wouldn’t have guessed the rotor blades had broken, so the fix clearly went well.
Cheers Jakko, it turned out ok but it was a bit worrying at the time :cold-sweat:

That looks superb Geoff, excellent work :thumb2:
Thanks Mark :thumb2:

Wow! Excellent stuff Geoff. :smiling3:
.... Especially in that scale ;)
Cheers Andy :smiling4:

Thanks Jim they it certainly looks so from the photos I’ve seen :thumb2:

And also heavily used!! Wessex were renowned for throwing grease off the rotor head onto the upper cockpit perspex and down the tail cone!!! Not so much exhaust marking but definitely off the head!!! (It was a pig of a job greasing it - 56 grease nipples all requiring masses of XG284 which had to be purged i.e. totally replace the old grease). There lies the tale of someone wo has done plenty of rotor head greases over the years!!!

Cheers Doug, that’s interesting to know, I might add a little bit more weathering to that area before the final photos :thumb2:

Superb Geoff, that is a spectacular result. A stunning looking Wessex and one to be proud of.
Cheers
Paul

Thanks Paul, yes I’m pleased with how it’s turned out :smiling4:

Geoff.