Gern's Bugs II

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought I'd better start a new thread for this as it might get quite long .....

I started the Bug figures last night and I've made some changes to the figures as supplied. This is for two main reasons. Firstly I'm not that impressed with the 'ball and socket' joints the manufacturer used. The design is such that you can't position the legs so they face forwards and backwards - they will only fit sideways. Secondly, I wanted to try and get a closer match to my Kay Tee.

One good thing is that the legs are completely interchangeable. They all have three sections and the lengths of the top, middle and lower sections respectively are the same on all of them. There are four different legs so you can get a variety of different poses. If you wanted to go overboard, it would not be difficult to cut the legs apart at the joints and create new ones. I'll not be making a huge number so I don't need to go that far.

The corrections were not difficult and clean up of the pieces was straightforward as the plastic is hard - not that b****y awful polyethylene stuff! Lots of filler needed, but obviously some of that is down to the changes I made. Anyway, some pictures:

The original design

View attachment 91428

How they would look

View attachment 91429

How I changed them

View attachment 91427

The finished Bug

View attachment 91424

View attachment 91425

View attachment 91426

Apart from the issues with the leg joints, overall I'm well impressed with these kits. They have much more detail than the resin kit I used for Kay Tee - despite the fact that Kay Tee is about 6 times larger!

As for painting, I'll be trying to recreate Kay Tee's colours. More later ....

Bug done1.JPG

Bug done2.JPG

Bug done3.JPG

New joints.JPG

Original joints.JPG

Original legs.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I bought some Bugs ready-made from ebay. Even though they're not well made (maybe by a child who used them only as game pieces?) you can clearly see why I changed the ball and socket leg joints.

View attachment 91441

View attachment 91442

Some work is needed to get these to match the ones I'm building, but it shouldn't be any more difficult than building them from the kit parts. It's not as if I have to be perfect with all the joints and seams - and you can hide a lot with filler!

Built Bugs1.JPG

Built Bugs2.JPG

D

dubster72

They're evil-looking buggers even as models Dave!

"The only good bug, is a dead bug! "

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice work Dave, the improvements make it look much better, great work mate.

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

These are very nice Dave, can't wait to see them painted up.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nice work Dave, the improvements make it look much better, great work mate.Si:smiling3:
I think the censors have struck again Si! Your clip won't play.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Dave, cannot wait to see some color on the little critters, ;)

First Name
Richard
Cool Gern, loved the first Bug dio, but this is looking that good already.

Keep it up.

Cheers Richi

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks everyone.

I'm working on the Bugs and I've got three ready for paint. I've disassembled (?) the ready-made ones I bought as far as I can, and they're not going to be a problem to re-build. Meanwhile ....

I was struggling to find suitable figures to use for the Skinnies so I ended up going with these:

View attachment 91622

View attachment 91623

They're rather toy-like and made from Polyethylene which is a real PITA! However, I found some spare heads in my spares box (from the 1/72 Valiant figures) and gave them a paint job. Here's where I'm at with them:

View attachment 91624

A wash and matt varnish should put them about right for my purposes (Blue markings for ID again). I may add the transparent helmet covers - I'll see what I feel like when I put them into my dio. Now I got to find a vacuum cleaner - sorry, I mean a dropship or APC!

Mars1.JPG

Mars2.JPG

Skinnies1.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real like the look of them ,well done with matching bits , ;)

D

dubster72

Good work on the figures Dave! You've painted them excellently :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks folks. Your support is much appreciated.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I got 8 out of 10 built, just some touch up on a few seams and on the filler and then paint. I think I'll leave the other two in case I want to do another dio.

View attachment 91881

View attachment 91882

Hardly a swarm I know, but they'd be enough to scare the s**t out of me if I was facing them!

IMGP1503.JPG

IMGP1504.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Dave,cannot wait to see how you paint them, ;)

D

dubster72

I wouldn't take them on without a couple of MG42's on hand!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Not quite so frightening now:

View attachment 91983

One coat of Halfords white primer and some Vallejo yellow. I did one coat of their Lemon Yellow 952 but it came out a bit too pale - even though it covered the primer completely. I added one part Deep Yellow 915 to two parts Lemon Yellow and threw on a second coat. I like that much better. I'll use a toothpick to apply Vallejo Masking Fluid to mask off the yellow patches I want to keep, then I can spray all the rest black. I'm going to leave it to dry overnight though or I'll be risking pulling off the yellow when I remove the liquid mask.

IMGP1509.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Even less frightening now. Now we got polka-dot bugs!

View attachment 92138

Let's see now. Three spots on each lower leg section, two spots on each of the middle and upper sections, two spots on each arm and two on each upper and lower jaw. That's 36 spots on each Bug. Each spot needs two lots of masking (one each side of the limb/jaw) so that's 72 for each Bug. There's 8 Bugs so that's 576 separate blobs of masking added.

No wonder I got little green spots in front of my eyes!

Polka dot swarm.JPG