Gern's Bugs II

D

Deleted member 3568

Great inspired brilliant stuff will be following this.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for all the nice comments folks!

Si - There may be no loss of suction, but those beasties are too big to go up the pipe!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Bit more done on this one.

I think I've finished pimping the command turret so it's had a coat of Halfords primer. I don't think I'll bother with any sort of camo pattern - this works out at about 75ft wide, 70ft long and nearly 80ft high in scale - so it's hard to think of any sort of pattern that would help. I may even leave it as it is - any suggestions?

I got an old printer which I cannibalised for some more bits and there's still some more pimping on the hull section to do. It took me three attempts to fill in the inside of the big wheels at the back. I eventually ended up using a couple of old CDs fixed with Araldite as nothing else would stick.

I'm working on the Bugs but it's a PITA finding and then scraping off the Vallejo Liquid mask I used to keep the yellow patches. It might have been better so spray them black then paint the yellow on top - but I know how difficult it is to cover dark colours with light ones so maybe I did it right after all.

View attachment 92849

View attachment 92850

Overall2.JPG

Overall3.JPG

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that is great Dave so well done,lov the command turret,dose not look a hoover at all, so very good,

real looking forward to see how you tackle the bottom part ;)

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Oh b****r!

Got some pimping done on the hull and some extras to be added.

View attachment 93045

And the reason for the title ....

View attachment 93048

.... slipped out of my hands when I was trying to place it on the hull.

Oh well. I fixed it once so I suppose I can do it again. Consolation is that it's not critical to get it exactly the same so if I can't fix it I can re-design it.

View attachment 93046

View attachment 93047

Bits.JPG

Hull1.JPG

Hull2.JPG

Oh bugger.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good Dave I,real dont know how you have done this with a hoover,if i did not see it i would

not believe it, :cool:

great work on the guns and things , ;)

cannot wait to see whats next,:rolleyes:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well I primed it this morning and thought it looked dull. I figured that, while this is too big to hide, you might add some colour to at least try and break up the outline (I think that was the idea behind the black/white stripes on WWII ships - please correct me if I'm wrong). So:

View attachment 93615

View attachment 93616

View attachment 93617

View attachment 93618

View attachment 93619

It doesn't help that the scanner unit went kerblooie just before this mission started and had to be replaced with a plain one from the mother ship, but I think it looks better. Any comments would be appreciated before I finish it by adding the missiles.

VAC1000 APC7.JPG

VAC1000 APC8.JPG

VAC1000 APC9.JPG

VAC1000 APC10.JPG

VAC1000 APC11.JPG

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looks good Dave,the color has done the trick with the base part, ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That camo job looks great Dave. I'd love to camo my vacuum cleaner but I fear the repercussions...

D

dubster72

I like it Dave, camouflage works equally well on big things if it breaks up the outline - imagine it at 3 klicks away, it'd blend into the background nicely.

T

Tone M

Mate I have to take my hat off to you, turning a Vacu..... into an assault vehicle, true genius!!!!!

Looking forward to the next episode :D

D

Deleted member 3568

Top notch work there great imagination love it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys.

Can I pick your brains please? I've got some white metal figures to go with this (as well as the Bugs and Skinnies you've seen). They have bases which I'd like to hide when adding them to my planned dio. The Skinnies' bases can just be cut away with my sprue cutters and knife, but I can't see me working the same trick using even a tiny hacksaw on the white metal. I also think I'll have problems trying to bury the bases in something like a plaster layer spread on the ground area then painting over them - I'm sure to end up with them standing on little patches of ground that's a different colour. Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've got some missiles to fit and some Bugs to finish .....

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I planned to do this as a sort of follow on from my original 'Diplomatic Missions' Bug build:

View attachment 93651

You've seen the 'Mars Attacks' figures I've adapted, and the Bugs to go with this APC. These are the figures I completed a couple of months ago to represent the DM humans:

View attachment 93652

I did some checking to make sure I got the proportions of the figures the same as my original. The original sizes were 50mm, 75mm and about 175mm tall respectively.

My new 'Skinny' figures are 30mm tall and the Bugs are 65 - 70mm tall. If you do the arithmetic, this is a good match to the original, but the human figures are only 15mm which is much too small. Consequently, I had to go and find some more figures. I got these which are 22mm. Allowing for their tall helmets, they are closer to 20 - 21mm actual figure height which is just what I needed.

View attachment 93653

They don't look too bad and the little bit of clean up needed should be fairly simple.

Anybody need some 15mm Sci Fi figures?

All done3[1].JPG

Troopers 2[1].JPG

MI figs1.JPG

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just noticed my new 'Skinny' figures don't have tails! Gotta fix that.