Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Mark.
I see you have learnt very quickly the "start at the end of the rails that have the most bends in or the fitted lengths" lol. I learnt this trick AFTER I tried gluing railings to a painted deck. Did not end to bad. Jut had to start again and repaint the deck.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Excellent PE work Mark. Working out and adjusting the uprights on PE railings is always difficult. Looks as if yours are sorted.
Thanks Jim
Looking very good Mark.
I see you have learnt very quickly the "start at the end of the rails that have the most bends in or the fitted lengths" lol. I learnt this trick AFTER I tried gluing railings to a painted deck. Did not end to bad. Jut had to start again and repaint the deck.
Thanks Ian, should have been a perfect fit think trumpeter got their measurements wrong,that was the only place i could cut and join,if i folded that end first and cut down the other end i would have been half way between the uprights

BigGrandad

Comfortably Numb
First Name
Graham
Hi Mark
i’ve always done ’paint first PE after’ where railings are concerned. Having seen the fit you’ve achieved (despite the obligatory mistake on a long run) I think I will try this approach on my next build. Looking good.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Mark
i’ve always done ’paint first PE after’ where railings are concerned. Having seen the fit you’ve achieved (despite the obligatory mistake on a long run) I think I will try this approach on my next build. Looking good.
Cheers,Ive usually done it after painting but i always drop it out the tweezers and end up with a blob of ca somewhere i dont want it,there will be some parts that will have to be fitted after painting but after watching some u tube vids of people doing it this way thought i would give it a try.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
So i got a bit more done,a bit more etch ,not perfect but itll look ok with a coat of paint and put a first wash on the main deck using oils ,first time ive used oils and liked them from the first time the brush touched the deck :smiling: needless to say i need some practise with them, dosnt show up well in the picture but looking ok so far.20230223_212724.jpg20230223_213149.jpg20230223_213606.jpg20230223_214315.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Excellent work Mark. Great etch work, especially. Ship modelling is an art that really needs etch to get the best from it.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Excellent work Mark. Great etch work, especially. Ship modelling is an art that really needs etch to get the best from it.
Thanks Tim, as much as etch is a pain a ship has gotta have railings at least or it will just look half finished.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Tim, as much as etch is a pain a ship has gotta have railings at least or it will just look half finished.
YES Mark thats why i have fitted all my railings on tiger as i was goin to leave them off untill she had her first vouge but now they are on as you say it looks finished an very wel done on your ship also
c/j

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
YES Mark thats why i have fitted all my railings on tiger as i was goin to leave them off untill she had her first vouge but now they are on as you say it looks finished an very wel done on your ship also
c/j
Thanks Chris :thumb2:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
A quick update,so this is the first time ive really put any effort into weathering a deck and the first time ive ever used oils so im pretty happy with the outcome albeit i still need plenty of practice, think ive given it the greyish worn look and took the edge off the tan.
I mixed a reddish brown wash first to bring out the plank detail then randomly placed small blobs of neutral grey and a greyish tan colour over the deck and just sort of scrubbed it all in with a brush. Finished with a coat of vallejo matt clear,when thats nice and dry i will begin the lovely job of masking the deck leaving what needs painting grey exposed. The hull will be painted black,bootline masked over,lower hull painted red then ill fix the deck railings and paint the upper hull and deck parts grey.20230225_150347.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW Mark them p/e railins look really good as it was a bugger tryin to thread 1mm brass rod through 1mm holes on the stantinations an hard work on the ole eyeballs on my tiger but yours come complete dont they ? but very nice work n your ship indeed Sir
chrisb

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Cheers Chris, yes these railings just need bending to shape, my yamoto has separate stantions with 0.1mm wire to thread through them, cant say im thrilled at the thought of doing them!