HMS King George V - 1/350 Tamiya

C

Caledonia

Thanks for viewing, and your kind comments Gents.

Finished the weathering, it's a bit more subtle than the photos suggest, the rust shows much brighter than in reality, and the grey shading is not very visible. Technique used is to wet the area to be worked on with solvent and use a fine tipped brush to add the artist oils, if you are not happy with it, wipe it off with a cotton bud and repeat. Very seldom is it right first time. When finished give everything a coat of Varnish to seal it in, I used the Humbrol aerosol as identified previously.

View attachment 100756

View attachment 100757

View attachment 100758

Started the rigging, first a comparison. The photo below shows from left to right a human hair, UNI-Caenis 20 Denier, the silk thread I used, and the Fine EZ Line.

View attachment 100759

Next photo shows the silk thread I used and shows the curl as it comes off the reel. In order to remove the curl, I put a small drop of fast drying PVA Glue on my index finger, and using my thumb also I run the thread through several times, rolling the thread slightly as it passes through, and then hold the thread in tension for a few seconds. You will see the straightened (but still flexible) thread below the PVA bottle.

View attachment 100760

View attachment 100761

Next I drilled three 0.7mm dia. holes as shown to receive the rigging. Obviously it is important to leave off the Captain/Admiral Bridge in order to gain access. Next I feed the thread through the 0.3mm dia. holes on the PE yards, until one side is filled. I then using PVA and the same technique, to glue both ends of each lanyard together. I then feed the five ends through one of the holes drilled previously and tension them in my fingers aided by tweezers. I then glue them at the hole with super glue gel administered on a sharpened cocktail stick. Finally I then cut the loose ends off with a sharp scalpel.

View attachment 100762

View attachment 100763

View attachment 100764

View attachment 100765

View attachment 100766

View attachment 100767

Next week I will do the between mask rigging. Note it is much easier to do as much rigging on the superstructure before fitting the superstructure to the deck. Derek

B149.jpg

B150.jpg

B151.jpg

B152.jpg

B153.jpg

B154.jpg

B155.jpg

B156.jpg

B157.jpg

B158.jpg

B159.jpg

B160.jpg

D

Dave Garrett

O M G that looks very fiddly you have the patience of a saint i think i will have a word with the guy in our local model shop and see how much he will charge to do the rigging for me

C

Caledonia

Hi Dave, It's not so bad, just do a bit at a time. If you get tired or fed up, stop. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Thanks Graham.

My elderly Sister came out of Hospital this week, so have been doing a lot of running around which reduced my spare time.

Anyway, have been proceeding with the forward mast upper yard halyards, also the aft mast halyards and diagonal stays. A bit disappointed that the aft halyards are a bit slack, used the same procedure as reported previously but the geometry does not allow for tails to tension the lines.

View attachment 101520

Added some range finders etc.

View attachment 101519

Been experimenting with the best way to do the between mast aerials which includes a branch down to the forward mast. still have not come up with a satisfactory conclusion. Derek

View attachment 101521

B163.jpg

B162.jpg

B161.jpg

C

Caledonia

Thanks Dave for your support.

Solved the aerial problem. Used the same thread as the Halyards and the same PVA glue identified earlier. Wound one end of the thread straight off the reel once around the aft yard, applied a small amount of PVA on a sharpened cocktail stick to the thread and waited a few seconds for it to grip. Repeated the process on the other yard applying slight tension to the thread to take out the curl. After the PVA has taken a grip, took a short length of the same thread, tied a knot where I wanted the branch and fixed it with a spot of PVA. Fed the other end of this short length of thread under the crotch of the tripod mast and applied PVA glue and tensioned he branch. Left it a few minutes to dry and trimmed off the excess.

A few photos to show the finished aerials, also the Captain/Admiral Bridges have been added.

View attachment 101707

View attachment 101708

View attachment 101709

There is a mark on one of the threads in the photo but it is not on the model, must be a reflection from the flash.

Derek

B166.jpg

B165.jpg

B164.jpg

D

Dave Garrett

wow looks good mate you have done a fantastic job of that rigging can't wait to see the final assembly and will be keeping a close on the build and will be referring back to it when i come to finish off pow

C

Caledonia

Thanks Dave, Going onto the final assembly, and I want to enhance the weathering a bit more so my next post may be longer than my usual weekly log. Hope things are improving with your personal circumstances. Derek

C

Caledonia

The model went together quicker than I thought, a few shots of the finished vessel. I will be moving on to the seascape, this will be based on the same method as my HMS Roberts, but as I want a different sea texture I will be using Scott's Porridge Oats Original. So I will finish this thread, here and will post the seascape in the Completed section in due course. Thanks to everyone who supported me throughout the build. Derek

View attachment 102241

View attachment 102242

View attachment 102243

View attachment 102244

View attachment 102245

View attachment 102246

View attachment 102247

View attachment 102248

View attachment 102249

View attachment 102250

View attachment 102251

View attachment 102252

B178.jpg

B177.jpg

B176.jpg

B175.jpg

B174.jpg

B173.jpg

B172.jpg

B171.jpg

B170.jpg

B169.jpg

B168.jpg

B167.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Derek, how about sublime? I can't think of a better word really!

I've been up in the gods, quietly watching your KG5 come together. It's been a great build to watch, and thanks for all the pictures and also the advise you've given along the way.

Ron

D

Dave Garrett

that has come together fantastically it looks like it should be in a museum i would be very proud of myself if my pow turns out like that

C

Caledonia

Ron/Dave, Many thanks for your kind comments and support during the build. Was looking at the model when I realised I had forgotten to add the life buoys and ships crew, so will add these before I post my completed section. Derek

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I have bought the Tamiya 1/350 ship's crew for my KG5....O.k., they are for the IJN, but at that scale?!
Careful Ron you are getting sucked in, first PE Handrails, you are getting corrupted ;)

Here is a shot of the RN Crew, as you say at that scale who is going to know. Derek

View attachment 102403

B182.JPG