HMS Supply

S

steve244

Hi all

Well since i finnished my Billings Boat model i have been contemplating what to do next and was thinking of building a trawler, but since then i have changed my mind again and gone for a period ship build and bought this kit today. This will be my first attempt at building an old sailing vessel and so the most daunting task ahead of me at the moment will be when i come to do the rigging and sails i think.

Ok more about the kit itself, it is from Artesania Latina and upon opening the box things look good it has a comprehensive set of instructions for the rigging and a basic set of instructions for the building side of things in multiple languages plus a small booklet with pictures of each step inside and full scale colour plans which is a big improvement on Billings. Alot of the fittings are cast metal which look like good quality but i may change this to reconstruct my own in wood i will make my mind up about that at a later stage when i see how they look after being painted, if they dont look right then i will redo them.

so here are the pics of the kit

View attachment 53639

View attachment 53640

View attachment 53641

View attachment 53642

View attachment 53643

View attachment 53644

HMS SUPPLY 010.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 011.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 012.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 013.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 015.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 016.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like some hard work ahead of you Steve will watch this if your posting WIP looks a good kit also

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice!

I don't think you will need to change anything regarding the fittings in the kit. Artesania are pretty much museum quality stuff.

I for one hope that you do a build thread on this! I have seen the kits, I have seen them finished but have never seen one being built!

Ian M

S

steve244

I do intend to do a build thread and your right Ian the fittings are of a good quality having had a proper look at them, i will probably be starting this after the weekend at some point and i just hope i can do the kit justice this being my first attempt at this type of model.

cheers steve

S

steve244

Well i've started,the first thing i noticed was that the main frame had a sleight curve in it but this was not bad enough to stop me straight away and i have now got the bulkheads and false deck fitted.

View attachment 51066 i dry fitted everything first to make sure that it would all line up and thankfully it did so glued all the frames in with pva and pinned and glued the false deck so everything is square, this little book with the photos in is a first for me.

here are some better pics of the fittings that come with the kit

View attachment 53674

View attachment 53675

View attachment 53676

View attachment 53677

View attachment 53678

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Boat building is something I've never been brave enough to try. I'll follow your build thread with interest.

Tony.

S

steve244

You should Tony it very satisfiying, this kit is for beginners i believe it has a lot of pre cast fittings that you would normally be expected to construct yourself

S

steve244

here are a couple more pics and should be ready to begin planking the deck shortly, i have planked the fwd and aft bulkheads that are at deck level with the Mahogany strips and given them a coat of Danish Oil and intend to give them another 2 or 3 coats.The lower part of the hull is also all planked with Mahogany and im hoping i can do a good job with that as i intend to oil and polish it rather than paint the hull, if i can i want to keep the painting to a minimum on this ship.

View attachment 53707

View attachment 53708

View attachment 53709

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

S

steve244

I have got the main deck planked and now started the treenailing using a 0.3 drill and some copper wire and once this is done then i will seal the deck probably by staining and then varnishing it to stop it getting marked, i have given the fwd and aft loft bulkheads 3 coats of Danish oil and polished them and very pleased with the outcome.

View attachment 53765

View attachment 53766

View attachment 53767

View attachment 53768

View attachment 53769

View attachment 53770

View attachment 53771

View attachment 53772

View attachment 53773

View attachment 53774

View attachment 53775

HMS SUPPLY 001.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 002.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 003.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 004.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 006.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 007.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 008.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 009.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 010.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 011.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 012.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I'm watching this build too Steve, thanks for sharing your progress. This is something I would like to possibly try one day soon too.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Steve some very nice work so far, the treenailing seems a very time consuming job, but looking good, keep up the good work and keep those pictures comming.

S

steve244

thanks for the encouragement lads and i will be posting pics as things progress, the treenailing is going to take awhile but it is going easier than i thought after buying an achamedes drill to hold the fine drill bits. the wire has come out of some old tv cable that i had lying around.

S

steve244

Over the past couple of days i have stained the deck a little diluting it with some water just to take the colour out of the wood as it was pure white and since the time period for this model she would have been 30 yrs old so just wanted to take the edge off, still got a bit of treenailing to do and i have just about finished the planking for the upper part of the hull and going well so far.

View attachment 53855

View attachment 53856

View attachment 53857

View attachment 53858

View attachment 53859

View attachment 53860

View attachment 53861

View attachment 53862

View attachment 53863

View attachment 53864

View attachment 53865

View attachment 53866

View attachment 53867

View attachment 53868

HMS SUPPLY 001.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 002.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 003.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 004.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 005.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 006.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 007.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 008.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 009.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 010.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 011.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 012.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 013.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 014.jpg

S

steve244

thanks lads for the comments n yeh i think the batts need changing in the camera, either that or my eyes are going lol

S

steve244

Well been a bit slow going since i started planking the hull, the mahogany strips are quite brittle and iv'e had to give them a good soaking to make them more pliable as broken a few even when using a hot soldering iron, they seem a bit thick really at 2mm. I will see how things go over the next day or so then that will be it for this leave as back to work again on monday and im thinking that if a cannot get the finnish that i want then i shall double plank the hull and use a walnut veneer.

View attachment 54146

View attachment 54147

View attachment 54148

View attachment 54149

View attachment 54150

View attachment 54151

View attachment 54152

View attachment 54153

HMS SUPPLY 008.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 009.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 010.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 011.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 012.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 013.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 014.jpg

HMS SUPPLY 015.jpg

S

steve244

ripped off the hull planks and started it again as not happy with the way they were laying and this time putting in droppers and stringers to get a better shape to the planks and they should reduce the chance of getting the clinkering effect that was developing.

S

steve244

well things gone a little better this time but still not happy with the way the planking is going so will have a rethink and maybe just plank it as best i can and then get it sanded to see how it looks and maybe put on a second walnut veneer planking which should make it look alot better, no pics to show as only got as far as where i was before stripping the old planks off and also been busy with other things including a new arrival of a grandaughter.

Back to sea again tomorrow for a month so things will be quiet here until i get back home but i can see this build is going to take some time, but then again im not in any rush and i need the practice ready for my next build which is the part work kit of HMS Victory already got my first 2 issues and the next will arrive before i get home again and is a big model at 1/84 scale with an overall length of 4ft 2in.