HMS Supply

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Steve. The kit planking was a bit brittle? Is it possible to soak them in an oil, perhaps linseed to make them more pliable?

J

John Huggins

Do you mean before you apply them, i dont know if this will affect the glue when you apply them.

I have only built one wood boat before & i soaked the planks in boiling water with no affect to the PVA glue.

In the old day's planks were steamed.

John

S

steve244

Hi all

well home again and looking forward to getting stuck in once again but will have to wait just a little longer as i have a few jobs around the house to do first and then i can get back to the planking

cheers steve

S

steve244

just a quick update as i have been quite busy this leave what with painting the spare bedroom fitting a new door in their also and having to do my xmas shopping as well due to being at sea this year for the festive season iv'e not had much chance to do anything on the supply apart from add a couple of planks and make myself a little something to help me with bending and shaping the planks, i have also decided to double plank the hull and so i have ordered some walnut veneer strips from cmb.

In hindsight it would have been better to have filled in the bow and stern with balsa blocks before starting the planking but constructing period ships is something new to me and i guess mistakes are going to be abound and after all this kit was bought to gain experience before starting my part work of HMS Victory which is going to be a mamoth task i know.

Im also going to have a go at making myself a ropewalk to make my own ropes to the scales/thicknesses that i may need in the future, i got the instructions from another site and some other useful bits of ms excel programs and pdf's from around the web.

cheers steve

S

steve244

well had a couple of nights where i could not sleep getting up at 2/3am so i put that time to good use and got stuck in to the planking and have nearly completed it,i have recieved my walnut strips ready for second planking and expect this to take longer as i intend to just use danish oil on it.

I just have to get the hull nice and smooth and have been using the dust from the mahogany strips that have been sanded as the filler and my little wooden jig has proven very handy for getting the planks the right shape

View attachment 56305

View attachment 56306

View attachment 56307

View attachment 56308

View attachment 56309

View attachment 56310

View attachment 56311

View attachment 56312

View attachment 56313

hms supply 001.jpg

hms supply 002.jpg

hms supply 003.jpg

hms supply 004.jpg

hms supply 005.jpg

hms supply 006.jpg

hms supply 008.jpg

hms supply 010.jpg

hms supply 011.jpg

S

steve244

ok thats the first planking finnished only took 26 hrs over that past couple of days, its amazing what you get done when you cant sleep lol, just got to sand her down and then give the hull a coat of diluted pva ready for putting on the veneer.

S

steve244

thanks for the kind words i just hope i can do the kit justice, im still in 2 minds wether to scratch build some of the fittings as they are cast metal and looking at the pics in the manual they were originally made of wood.

cheers steve

S

steve244

well its that time again and iv'e had to stop for this leave, got some of the walnut veneering on and its looking better already but want to take my time with this second planking and have cut the veneer down into more managable strips to work with and to get a better and cleaner fit.Im hoping that when i return in january i can get alot more done than what i managed this time but still no rush anyway.

So i wish you all a merry xmas and happy new year

cheers steve

F

Fenlander

You to Steve, take care and look forward to your return to the bench.

C

CDW

Looking good so far Steve.

Have a safe trip out, see you next year :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Seasons greetings to you also Steve and hope you have a safe trip out looking forward to you carrying on with this

S

steve244

thank you very much for your kind words gents,stuck at home at the moment due to problems with the rig and ship so just on standby until the ship gets into port anyway on another matter here are some pdf files that i have that may help some of you with your model ship lighting.

Hope this is ok and in the right place i had a look around and could'nt find anywhere else but please feel free to move these if they need to be

Electrics.pdf

Flickering_LED_Tutorial.pdf

LEDs Part 1.pdf

LEDs Part 2.pdf

led_lighting_for_model_ships.pdf

LightingExtra.pdf

S

steve244

hi all

Hope you all had a great xmas and new year and im back home again now so will be back to it again very soon

cheers steve

S

steve244

hi all i found this which may be of use to those who want to learn more about ships, could be a useful referance

Text-Book of Seamanship

cheers steve

S

steve244

ok well here are a few pics of whats been going on, i have completed one side of the veneering of the hull and just started the other a bit slow going but getting there and i have jumped the gun a bit and fitted the stem and keel. it all looks a little bit rough just now but should look alot better once it has all been put on and sanded and given a few coats of Danish Oil fingers crossed.

View attachment 56542View attachment 56543View attachment 56544View attachment 56545View attachment 56546View attachment 56547View attachment 56548View attachment 56549View attachment 56550View attachment 56551

When looking at the wood for the keel i found it had warped and twisted a little but as it turned out i only needed to put a small amount of preasure on it to fit it.

View attachment 56552View attachment 56553View attachment 56554

cheers steve

View attachment 58590

View attachment 58591

View attachment 58592

View attachment 58593

View attachment 58594

View attachment 58595

View attachment 58596

View attachment 58597

View attachment 58598

View attachment 58599

View attachment 58600

View attachment 58601

View attachment 58602

HMS Supply 001.jpg

HMS Supply 002.jpg

HMS Supply 003.jpg

HMS Supply 004.jpg

HMS Supply 008.jpg

HMS Supply 009.jpg

HMS Supply 010.jpg

HMS Supply 011.jpg

HMS Supply 012.jpg

HMS Supply 013.jpg

HMS Supply 005.jpg

HMS Supply 006.jpg

HMS Supply 007.jpg

J

John Huggins

Looking good Steve i'll be keeping an eye on this as im planking my ship.

John

S

steve244

hi john

i decided to double plank mine using a walnut veneer as my planking is still not perfect but i hope getting better, just remember to plank evenly on both sides as you go along john and take your time its a difficult job i think and needs patience.

steve

S

steve244

well not much to add as im still working on the veneer so no need for any pics, progress a bit slow at the moment and had a couple of days off. On another note because im over 50 i was given a free nhs check up and it turns out i have type 2 diabetes so just trying to get my head around that at the moment so for those of you in the same age bracket go and have one as like me you never know if anything is wrong with your body as i have not been feeling ill or anything so came as a shock and always best to catch these things early before things start getting complicated.

cheers steve