HMS Supply

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Steve, sounds like you a quite a full life to lead lol, slow down old boy.

Cheers

Andy

S

steve244

Hi Andy glad i could be of help caught me just in time, i have to go to sea for a rest lol

cheers steve

S

steve244

Home again and should be able to carry on with this next week

cheers steve

S

steve244

Well been very quiet for me on the model front but have finally got all my jobs done and can now get back to some more important stuff like carrying on with my build as of today, just started getting everything ready and while i have been absent these past few weeks my little brain has been working overtime on a couple of things the first being how to best start tapering my masts and spars.My first idea was to just buy a small lathe and then thought about useing a drill and sanding it down that way as doing it by hand is a slow process and quite messy with the dust getting everywhere and so i bit the bullet and have purchased a lathe that i can use in the garden and easy to manage as i dont have any kind of workshop and this is due in the next hour or so.

The other thing i have been contemplating with is making a ropewalk for myself and what i have come up with is easy and very cheap and works fine for what i want, have gone to the shop i bought a pack of picture hooks/wall hangers and some different threads and screwed 3 of the hooks into the back garden gate and placed another in my multi tool and then cut up some thread and began to make a small lenght of miniture rope and with in a couple of seconds i had it but the only problem i had was when i released the tension it unravelled, but at least i knew it worked so for my next attempt was to dip what was going to be the middle strand in a 50/50 mix of pva and water then had another go and it worked perfect just leaving the multi tool hanging until the solution had gone off and so far have made 2 ropes one of which is a black and white one that i shall be useing for puddening the eye in the end of the anchors when the time comes.

cheers steve

S

steve244

Well been busy with my new lathe and been turning down my masts works great and a will be a big time saver when i get used to it as never used one before so plenty of practice required and did intend putting up some pics of what i have been doing but cant find it so they will have to wait for now,and my little rope making experiment has enabled me to make ropes upto about 5mtrs in length knowing this will now help me in my next/future projects the only thing i need to understand now is working out different scales

cheers steve

S

steve244

Decided to make a couple of changes and scratch build some more parts that are in metal instead of wood as shown in the instruction manual just concentrating on the foremast for now and that also gave me the chance to try out my dremel scroll saw

View attachment 68788

View attachment 68789

View attachment 68790

View attachment 68791

View attachment 68792

View attachment 68793

well at least thats a start after such a long break and cant believe its been nearly 1yr since i started this build wow gone so quick and also the change to the look and feel of the forum is good.
cheers steve

hms supply part2 001.JPG

hms supply part2 002.JPG

hms supply part2 003.JPG

hms supply part2 004.JPG

hms supply part2 005.JPG

hms supply part2 006.JPG

S

steve244

Thanks gents pleased with the way things are going (even the wife likes it lol) now im working on the masts she is starting to take shape and beginning to look more like it,still have a good way to go tho yet what with all the rigging to do should test my patience lol and will post some more pics later

cheers steve

S

steve244

well would you believe it spent yesterday scratch building the new fighting tops and mast bits taking pics as i went along and intended putting those up and they've all dissapeared off the camera so just been out and bought a new one and taken a couple of pics with it

View attachment 68857

View attachment 68858

View attachment 68859

View attachment 68860

View attachment 68861

View attachment 68862

done a little bit of painting on the foremast as you can see and thats that one nearly done i think but will have to double check iv'e not missed anything before fixing it in place,may even find it easier to put on all the blocks and things first thinking about it
cheers steve

hms supply 002.JPG

hms supply 003.JPG

hms supply 004.JPG

hms supply 005.JPG

hms supply 006.JPG

hms supply 007.JPG

S

steve244

Not got alot done over the weekend as the boss found more jobs for me around the house but decided it would be better to fix the pulley blocks to the mast before fixing it into the deck to make it easier and so i have started on the foremast first,it seems as tho some of the cord is the wrong size as to what should have been supplied with the kit instead duplicating them.The first thing i looked at was which would make the best choice for hanging the blocks from and using the thickest twine still did not look right to me it just wasn't heavy looking enough but fortunately i had liberated the last few meters of whipping twine out of our deck store awhile back and brought that home instead of being thrown in the waste skip.

View attachment 69049

it does have the downside of being a bit fluffy but once i had run it across one of my bees wax blocks it soon smoothed out and also the wax helps protect the twine and make it a little stiff and sticky which was ideal for wrapping around the block and holding it in place so that i could use the black thread for binding it to the block.
View attachment 69050

View attachment 69051

View attachment 69052

View attachment 69053

View attachment 69054

View attachment 69055

View attachment 69056

View attachment 69057

hms supply 011.JPG

hms supply 002.JPG

hms supply 003.JPG

hms supply 004.JPG

hms supply 006.JPG

hms supply 008.JPG

hms supply 010.JPG

hms supply 012.JPG

hms supply 013.JPG

S

steve244

Thank you very much gents your making me blush now lol,such words from 2 skilled modellers is praise indeed i just hope i can do this model/forum justice with my limited level of skills, but i am very pleased with the way things are going even tho i can see this is going to slow down now im getting to the rigging stage as this is new ground for me never having built any kind of sailing ship before just rigging up the pulley blocks is a bit of a challenge so god knows what im going to be like when it comes to the rest of it, but each new thing is a new skilled learned i supose so that cant be a bad thing.

cheers steve

S

steve244

Well had my sailing orders and off upto aberdeen on sunday to join my ship for another 4 weeks and so just have these last few pics to put up before i go, these first 2 show my attempt at making my own rope the multicoloured one maybe used for the eye on the anchor if it looks right

View attachment 69287

View attachment 69288

i have also redone the blocks on the foremast with a thinner rope as after looking over the mast again the first attempt looked too heavy, and looking over the plans of the rigging it showed that some ropes will pass through some eyes in the deck around the mast which the instruction book shows no mention of ? so im glad i did not fix the mast in yet as this would have proved a problem later on.
View attachment 69289

View attachment 69290

View attachment 69291

View attachment 69292

View attachment 69293

View attachment 69294

View attachment 69295

hms supply 032.JPG

hms supply 033.JPG

hms supply 001.JPG

hms supply 003.JPG

hms supply 004.JPG

hms supply 005.JPG

hms supply 006.JPG

hms supply 007.JPG

hms supply 008.JPG

G

Graham D

Nice progress, it is looking good. I have built a couple of wooden boats, and the worst part of the rigging is the ratlins.

S

Sky Raider

Sure is looking good Steve. I think you might finish this one before my Scout.

Andy