HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:thinking: Same here....wonder if you could mix a little grit (very fine sand) in with it and try tinting it to a more grayish appearance?
Rick I thought the colour looked ok, suppose it depends on the original sand colour and the age being bleached by the sun.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don't mix paint successfully as I'm somewhat color blind. I have to consult SWMBO for anything outside the Crayola Eight. You'll remember The M.O.W. yard had three different colored concrete areas as I struggled to find a suitable color to my eye. The parking lot/supply area had the best, but I couldn't duplicate it as I'd forgotten how I arrived at it years ago.
I looked back & found I'd used Polly S "Old Concrete". Alas, no longer available.

Last edited:

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Fourth layer for road, looks like ready for paint. Tried to help out concrete look w/some weathering.
100_4033.JPG
100_4032.JPG
The label was missing, but I think this is the grey they paint aircraft bottoms with. What do you guys think? Did it help or hurt?
100_4031.JPG
C&Cs encouraged.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Concrete Paul looks ok, remember it all hinges on the amount used in the mix, length of time it's been exposed to the sun .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on a treat is this Paul. Always something new to catch up on.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thinking about foam between road & wall for trees & gardening plus big massif of rock as excuse to veer around w/track. Foam pcs. dedicated for use are in various states of readiness. Siding didn't leave enough room for anything else, so I did away w/it.
100_4041.JPG
100_4040.JPG
100_4039.JPG
Three hoppers have coal, red clay & tan clay for respective bunkers. Banding & banding tools are in central shack & ready bricks are not banded till ready to load.
100_4038.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks a lot cleaner and now there is a definite yard lead.......less confusing, to me anyway. Rocks and scenery should make it "POP"! ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Paul, it looks okay to me. Concrete generally doesn't dry in a single color so variations in tones ought to look right close to marbling.
Haven't seen this for a while...it's a massive diorama.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This just gets better and better Paul. A great deal of work but the details your putting in make it so worthwhile.