HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
......because the infrastructure (yard mules & piggy-packers) to handle them is now in this yard Chris.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Paul. Enjoying watching this come together. :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just keeps growing. A huge amount of work both on the planning and the building.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As you mention, the planning is complicated by the age difference between what I have in the stash & new stock that has changed either by material or dimension. You also may have noticed all the newer bench work is made from scraps/leftovers from previous projects.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Roughing in the extension for the TOFC yard. You'll notice I've moved into the Man Cave Annex due to the availability of heat, as 55F is not good for the application of paint or adhesives. Combination yard mule garage, trailer repair & office bottom right foreground. Trackage includes mainline, runaround, siding & assoc. turnouts to service the yard. Runaround & siding compressed due to space constraints.
100_4082.JPG
100_4081.JPG

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Just had a good read through of your project - fantastic work Paul.
All that wiring and live soldering irons - just be thankfull JR and myself are not helping, more flames that you can handle...
As an aside, I had an email from one of the stores I deal with in the UK, and they had just recieved a new stock of Hornby engines and scrolled down to see them, nearly went blind at the prices of the locos.... In my day of railway building, for the price of one of thos loco's you could get a whole layout....
Mike.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just had a good read through of your project - fantastic work Paul.
All that wiring and live soldering irons - just be thankfull JR and myself are not helping, more flames that you can handle...
As an aside, I had an email from one of the stores I deal with in the UK, and they had just recieved a new stock of Hornby engines and scrolled down to see them, nearly went blind at the prices of the locos.... In my day of railway building, for the price of one of thos loco's you could get a whole layout....
Mike.
Agreed Mike.....same here in the States, it is prohibitive.....I have Brass Steam locomotives that cost less than what they charge for a plastic kit with a "hair clipper" motor in it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Roughing in the extension for the TOFC yard. You'll notice I've moved into the Man Cave Annex due to the availability of heat, as 55F is not good for the application of paint or adhesives. Combination yard mule garage, trailer repair & office bottom right foreground. Trackage includes mainline, runaround, siding & assoc. turnouts to service the yard. Runaround & siding compressed due to space constraints.
View attachment 499133
View attachment 499134
Track work looks good Paul...your latest iteration of the C&O just keeps growing....

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Paul.
Any one see Portello on the tv at the rail way museum in California yesterday, massive layout , just not long-enough to enjoy .

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Conrail 80s/90s actually, though after the resale they reverted back to old pre-consolidation markings sometimes.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yard lined using chart tape from back when charts were home made. Mule storage, trailer repair & office building not placed yet. I still see some Chessie, Southern, & PennCentral markings on CSX & Norfolk Southern train cars.
100_4087.JPG
100_4088.JPG

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Taping completed, structure placed, & ballasting started. Most TOFC spine cars are 4 or 5 trailers long so my runaround & load/unload areas are that long. Storage areas extend further to the south & east.
100_4090.JPG
100_4091 - Copy.JPG
C&Cs encouraged.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Paul, starting to take real shape now:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

I watch Jaw Tooth on the tube, the length of trains in the US is something else.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Added some lighting, some more taping, some details to the structure, & laid out the hard top road crown. Here I'm trying to show operations as mules take unloaded pigs to storage & customers pick up their trailers from storage. Last pic shows trailer in shop for minor repairs.
100_4094.JPG
100_4092.JPG
100_4093.JPG