How far do you go

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5496

Perhaps, like me, you do not see other peoples models. Yes on a forum & photos.

Living in Jersey there is no scope, sadly, as I have not seen one model in the Island. I have seen at one show when on holiday models for the first time.

How far do you go. A little scratch, most would not see, the underside of a model no body will ever see.

I get frustrated as I think oh no got to put that right.

In the end I have an in house chat with myself is that it should be OK.

Often I look after the event & think what on earth was I getting excited about. I see the model finished & think OK not perfect but satisfied.

Just wonder & think is this typical.

Laurie

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I like to add some details but generally don't go overboard. That being said. I have some planned builds that will include a massive amount of aftermarket and also some scratch building.

Horses for courses really.

First Name
Carl
I’m certainly aware when o make mistakes and although it slightly Bothers me that I didn’t get it perfect I try to put it down as the continuous learning curve and do better next time. In reality most people and particularly non model makers would never notice anyway.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rather lazily, I adopt the principle 'If it ain't seen it don't get done' However, I do admire folks who do it even if it ain't seen!

Trying to get things perfect never enters my head. Simply because there is no such thing on the planet. We are all on a learning curve until we pop it! I try and build to the best of my ability and not push my luck.

I never let a model get me down. (Been close a few times, mind!) It's just a bit of plastic after all.

I often read comments on here where folks are getting all up tight and frustrated. Particularly where 'Added detail' is concerned. No thanks, I'll pootle along OOB.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very typical Laurie. I’m exactly the same. I used to go overboard adding everything I could, working in dead scale railway models at 4mm/foot scale. However, In the end I found that I was never satisfied, thinking I could and should do better every time. Trouble is, you can’t. This led to less and less progress being made and the resultant dissatisfaction made me give up the hobby for about ten years. When I came back to it a few years ago I decided near enough would be good enough and am much happier as a result. After all, I only build for me, and if I’m happy enough with the build then that’s all she wrote!
One thing I do find though is that towards the middle of any build or project I get discouraged and am tempted to rush to get on to the next one. If I resist this feeling I get a second wind and finish properly If I succumb to it, the build still gets finished, but I’m never so happy with the result.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Personally I really enjoy the construction stage. I built RC stuff way before I got into model building, simply because I like the mechanics of it all.
So I’m happy to spend hours assembling a gear box no one will ever see again, just because I enjoy it.

The other aspect is the challenge factor. Sometimes I’m up for something of a challenge and I’ll Chuck some PE on it. Sometimes I just want to stick it together as it comes.

As long as I’m happy and enjoying it I’ll do what I want regardless :smiling4:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL with me guys if its gonna be seen i'll try an get it as nr as possible but if not gonna be seen then i'll just get it built an yes a good ole talk to myself soon rights the matter lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Personally I really enjoy the construction stage. I built RC stuff way before I got into model building, simply because I like the mechanics of it all.
So I’m happy to spend hours assembling a gear box no one will ever see again, just because I enjoy it.

The other aspect is the challenge factor. Sometimes I’m up for something of a challenge and I’ll Chuck some PE on it. Sometimes I just want to stick it together as it comes.

As long as I’m happy and enjoying it I’ll do what I want regardless :smiling4:
WELL Si as long as you are happy thats all that matters isnt it same for us all
chris

D

Deleted member 5496

Do not feel so bad now. :tongue-out3:

Always remember a bod living opposite my mother & father's house. He spent ages filling sanding painting redoing the part below the roof while the rest of the place went to rack & ruining (spelling is that correct).

Laurie

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I don't think anyone is ever completely satisfied with a build, you look back and think I could have done that or this. At the end of the day its the enjoyment of creating something for yourself.
None modellers will look and say oh that's nice, but have no idea of the effort that goes into a build.
Probably one reason why we like to be on here with fellow minded people.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Personally, I like to do 'the best I can' - this kit (Tamiya BMW) that I've started after a looooong break from modelling is now starting to slightly annoy me - they've missed a load of 'bike bits' (which as a past long time sidecar rider I know should be there) but am I up to scratch building the bits? Probably not now (so out of practice), so I'm going to build as per 'box' (sort of!), but it'll probably 'niggle' me every time I see it!
Always willing to learn 'new tricks' so that I can try to apply them later.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I don't think anyone is ever completely satisfied with a build, you look back and think I could have done that or this. At the end of the day its the enjoyment of creating something for yourself.
None modellers will look and say oh that's nice, but have no idea of the effort that goes into a build.
Probably one reason why we like to be on here with fellow minded people.
HOW VERY TRUE John you hit the nail on the head with your post brilliant
CHRIS

First Name
Andy
I get most enjoment from the act of building the model, the finished article will never be seen by anyone other than a few pictures I put up on here. I do try to do the model justice but my finishing skills are nowhere as good as I others I have seen on here and elsewhere and if I am happy with it that is all that matters to me.

Andy.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
For me it all depends on deciding how difficult the extra detail is going to be and whether I'm capable of doing it at the point of time. Meaning I have stopped projects and renewed them when my skill sets had improved or the bulb lights up in the old noggle with a gee so that's the way to do it comes up. I try never to bin a kit and I'm used to building old kits with bad fitting with simplified details crying out to look better. So when I come across a new kit and find that someone still has a problem with just putting fuselage halves together amazes me...the new generation of modelers are really spoilt.

I do believe in whats not seen be left alone but when you're having fun there aren't any emergency brakes. Obviously its sad when it gets closed up and all you can tell people is there's a detailed glove compartment in there.

It's a challenge to build OOB...I hide much of my references, tools and spares away to avoid temptation to scratch. A weekend OOB build can easily escalate to a few months or years build if I'm not careful. :tears-of-joy: ...I'm beyond help. Dioramas are a mine field...there's always a better composition just round the corner.

Cheers,
Richard

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For me it depends on a few things. If the model is very basic and looks wrong but is the only one available I could find myself going to town with extras. Also if is was for a GB I could also give it a bit more. But only if really needed. In fact several PE sets have been put away with many parts still in the frame as they just dont make a difference or are never seen.
I would say that about 70% og the things I build are OOB with maybe a bit of wire here and there. Also things like handles and bars that are badly formed get swapped for plastic rod or wire.
If its close enough its good enough. its not like any I know are going to look at them and say "thats wrong".

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
For me it all depends on deciding how difficult the extra detail is going to be and whether I'm capable of doing it at the point of time. Meaning I have stopped projects and renewed them when my skill sets had improved or the bulb lights up in the old noggle with a gee so that's the way to do it comes up. I try never to bin a kit and I'm used to building old kits with bad fitting with simplified details crying out to look better. So when I come across a new kit and find that someone still has a problem with just putting fuselage halves together amazes me...the new generation of modelers are really spoilt.

I do believe in whats not seen be left alone but when you're having fun there aren't any emergency brakes. Obviously its sad when it gets closed up and all you can tell people is there's a detailed glove compartment in there.

It's a challenge to build OOB...I hide much of my references, tools and spares away to avoid temptation to scratch. A weekend OOB build can easily escalate to a few months or years build if I'm not careful. :tears-of-joy: ...I'm beyond help. Dioramas are a mine field...there's always a better composition just round the corner.

Cheers,
Richard
YEA Richard very well said if there is a problem with the fit of a model stick at it an not just bin it as this is what modelings all about an you are certainly capable of doin most awkward kits after seeing your work on that spyship an in that tiny scale WOW
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
If its close enough its good enough. its not like any I know are going to look at them and say "thats wrong"
(Ian qoute )
AN Ian yes what you say is very true If its close enough its good enough. its not like any I know are going to look at them and say "thats wrong"
but ive had a person off one of my ships models when in a model show come up an say youve got that wrong mate an i said whats wrong an apperantly he was a crew member off the real ship of my model as it was in dock in malta an i said well whats wrong then an he said oh youve got your crew members in yellow windbreakers an black trousers an we are waering whites an shorts so i said well yes you are in malta where its bloomin hot but my ship model was done from a R/N picture of my model in the solent comein into port at portsmouth an there was a very cold wind blown there well he shut up like a clam an walked off an never see him again what a day that was
chris