How far do you go

• Thread starter Deleted member 5496
  • Start date

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Generally, at my preferred scale of 1/72, scratch building is out of the question as it's just too small to be reasonable. Particularly inside cockpits where it is likely to never be seen, even by me!

I never start a model with the intention of scratch building, rather get in to it if I think the model will benefit from it or to replace something I have clumsily broken off. I'll also only undertake the work if: a) I think I can do it, 2) it improves the model, D) if I will enjoy the work.
None of my family or friends are interested in my modelling so I do it purely for my own satisfaction.

D

Deleted member 5496

Whilst ability comes into it all it is determination which sets your standards.

Not what others think it is what I think have I made as good a job as I can.

Laurie

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
it all depends

if you cant see it then i dont see the point...........rather spend my time on things you can see

done lots of cars which are curbside......if you cant see the engine then why bother even painting it let alone improving it........yet im currently doing a hot rod so im in the middle of scratching a distributer and wiring up the heads cos it will all be on view

seat belts are another thing.......im not a lover of PE but im getting into seat belts cos they do improve things

i do think that there seems to be a fad for companies to use pe simply to increase parts count or to make the kit look more appealing but that dosnt make it more buildable or enjoyable

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
i do think that there seems to be a fad for companies to use pe simply to increase parts count or to make the kit look more appealing but that dosnt make it more buildable or enjoyable
I don't think that it's a 'fad', it's been going on too long - Tamiya was using it as a 'selling point' years ago - I personally think that all manufacturers think that if they offer a 'basic' kit, and another manufacturer offers a 'more involved' kit that they'll lose sales, so out comes the microscope to make parts even more detailed!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This all reminds me of a conversation at some air show or the other. Some guy had flown in in his very well restored Spitfire. Among the crowd of onlookers some one had the nerve to inform the guy that he had painted the aircraft in the incorrect colours. To which the pilot/owner just looked at him and asked: "oh, and what colour is your Spitfire then?"
The crowed laughed and the guy turned red and walked away.... lol

D

Deleted member 5496

This all reminds me of a conversation at some air show or the other. Some guy had flown in in his very well restored Spitfire. Among the crowd of onlookers some one had the nerve to inform the guy that he had painted the aircraft in the incorrect colours. To which the pilot/owner just looked at him and asked: "oh, and what colour is your Spitfire then?"
Just love that Ian very funny. Sarcasm at it's best just loved to have been there. Darned quick thinking.

Laurie

Reactions: JR

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I do try to do a decent job, but I often find myself slipping into the 'that'll do' sometimes. The odd sunken seam that I swear wasn't there yesterday, oh well......

D

Deleted member 5496

I do try to do a decent job, but I often find myself slipping into the 'that'll do' sometimes. The odd sunken seam that I swear wasn't there yesterday, oh well......

Colin that will be the leprechauns .

They are rampant in scale model workshops. Not seen but boy they cause havoc at night. The devastation.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Difficult. I like lots of detail even if it is lost. Just love PE.

For me it is the enjoyment I get out of the detail. I get sad when I see a kit which has little detail.

Embarking on an Islander Iarcraft. All the seating in the cabin is there. I know I will enjoy fitting & painting it. Yet when all is finished not seen.

Think of it in these terms. Roast beef, roast potatoes lovley gravey, roasted parsnips, sprouts (or cauliflowere if sprouts are out) & a spot of mustard.

All eaten in less than 15 minutes after hours of preparation. Just like model making in some respects. Golly I do like roasted parsnips. Similar enjoyment I get from painting pilots. Except my wife does the cooking. :tongue-out3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I think back to all the detailing i do in Fw190 cockpits when in reality, when the cockpit is complete and added to the body. You can see hardly anything of it. But i suppose that is the part when i go. "I know it's there".

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Whilst ability comes into it all it is determination which sets your standards.
I disagree: it’s both. There is a skill in actually making the parts, and not everyone has — or can achieve — the same level of skill. But within your skill’s reach, it’s determination that decides how far you’ll take it. I often build models that I could do more work on, but I feel it’s not worth the effort it would take.

To put that other way, if it depended on determination only, all of us here could build to the standards of, say, @Neo or @Isitme. I have this feeling that I speak for most of us here when I say I can’t. Well, not unless I were to have enough determination to make tiny parts a couple of dozen times until they’re finally up to scratch, meaning a single model would probably take several years to finish. In that sense, yeah, it may be determination only. Well, and having non-shaky hands.

As for my own standards of how far to go: it depends a lot. Sometimes I add all the details and corrections I can to a model, other times I build things straight from the box despite knowing it’s got glaring errors. Usually it’s somewhere between those two.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm with Ron.

I build almost entirely OOB.

I will add a harness(es) to aircraft if not provided in the kit and I will use aftermarket masks in place of decals, particularly in larger scales.

Other than that I have only used after market stuff to convert a kit to a version I want to build and that on just one occasion.

I'm prepared to spend money on relatively expensive large scale kits, I'm not prepared to double the price with after market stuff to improve the wheels, exhausts or other stuff that I really don't care about! There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing it if you want to, it's just not for me.

My models end up on a shelf or, ultimately, in the loft. The only people who see them don't know much about them and certainly are not experts on the different Spitfire wheels :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 5496

I disagree: it’s both. There is a skill in actually making the parts, and not everyone has — or can achieve — the same level of skill. But within your skill’s reach, it’s determination that decides how far you’ll take it. I often build models that I could do more work on, but I feel it’s not worth the effort it would take.

To put that other way, if it depended on determination only, all of us here could build to the standards of, say, @Neo or @Isitme. I have this feeling that I speak for most of us here when I say I can’t. Well, not unless I were to have enough determination to make tiny parts a couple of dozen times until they’re finally up to scratch, meaning a single model would probably take several years to finish. In that sense, yeah, it may be determination only. Well, and having non-shaky hands.

As for my own standards of how far to go: it depends a lot. Sometimes I add all the details and corrections I can to a model, other times I build things straight from the box despite knowing it’s got glaring errors. Usually it’s somewhere between those two.

Mmmm. For me, Jakko, my determination pushes me to the limits of my ability. That has been with me all my life.

Laurie

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Then you’re proving my point, I think :smiling3: At least, I expect you to sometimes see models of which you think that they’ve been made better than you could — I know I do, anyway.

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Ian,
Reminds me of the time when we had Vulcans on active service. As a military spotter/photographer I along with a friend were invited up to Waddington for a base tour. When we got there we found severl other enthusiasts, plus the usual down pouring of rain. Airfix had jusr released their original Vulcan in 1/72 scale and we were being show the tail area when one clown piped up the the rivets on the real Vulcan were wrong and that Airfix had it correct.......

Last edited:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I was going to ramble on about skills and OOB and etch and scratchbuilding and dioramas and figures and on and on, and how I wish I could do some of the things you guys put together. I cannot because I have either not the need, nor the requirement, and that is what you should be looking at, not excusing yourself because you cannot do this or that. We can all draw a straight line on a sheet of paper, we can all use a ruler and in a sense that is the starting point to scratchbuilding and adding all those extra details you think you cannot add, first point to learn, do not use a point on your pencil, shape the point to a chisel shape V, you get a much finer line. Now the rest is up to you.....
Do not keep putting yourselves down, work within your skills, but on the side practice what you would like to achieve.
I get complemented a lot on my modelmaking skills (thank you all), but there are more wasted efforts in the trash can which failed, but eventually I get there. And if I get frustrated then I walk away, I have walked away from this hobby on more than one occasion untill I get my head back in the right place. We all have our own skills, some are painters, some are detailers, one I know of can build a Toon that makes me drool at the imagination that goes into it.
And if all else fails and you are still not happy - there is always bus spotting....

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Did once build a model speedway bike - turn the rear wheel and it will drive the piston (bit arsey varsey there :tears-of-joy: ) and yes, I did build it all the way, though the crankshaft and piston can't be seen - I know that it's doing it.

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I will give it a bash. If it doesn't work I'll paint over it and move on.

I like to set my ambitions high, but not my standards. If my ability does not meet my ambition, I don't find it hard to move on.

Perhaps if my ability were higher I might make more effort!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My wife taught me a very good lesson about the right approach to things. Now we are both keen golfers and play a lot. However a couple of years ago we went to play the TPC Scottsdale course, where you are obliged to take a caddy along when you play a round. Now these guys are all good golfers and many have been around for years. After two or three holes our caddy pulled my wife aside and started to explain to her how she could improve her game by using a certain club as opposed to another etc etc. She stopped him in mid sentence and came back with...." hold on a minute you seem to be confusing me with someone who gives a s..t!"

Now that is the right attitude when you are doing something for fun.

John

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My wife taught me a very good lesson about the right approach to things. Now we are both keen golfers and play a lot. However a couple of years ago we went to play the TPC Scottsdale course, where you are obliged to take a caddy along when you play a round. Now these guys are all good golfers and many have been around for years. After two or three holes our caddy pulled my wife aside and started to explain to her how she could improve her game by using a certain club as opposed to another etc etc. She stopped him in mid sentence and came back with...." hold on a minute you seem to be confusing me with someone who gives a s..t!"

Now that is the right attitude when you are doing something for fun.

John
John
Love it, my sentiments exactly.
Mike.