M10 LEND LEASE BY ACADEMY 1/35 AMBUSH .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've seen them stored three to box fully assembled. I may remember three heads in a rack like MG small ammo cans, but I'm unsure.
Many thanks Paul.
After a search I've found that although a new charge head could be fitted after firing normally the stick part was thrown away. They were a cheaply made item, mass produced and expendable.

Plenty of Biccies here did a double batch of HobNobs so dive in and enjoy the build!! ;)
Great news Rick. That should keep the troops happy . I was going to offer Marmite sandwiches as well !

Blimy John straight on with the next one no holding you back ,my only worry for you is it probably came in olive drab I doubt they would have resprayed 4bo no doubt one of the fonts of knowledge will help here also did it come with a 50cal? Just some thoughts looking forwards to your adventur with this one. Dave
Hi buddy, I did check on the colour, it did only come in Olive Drab. I have bought an AK 3 rd gen Olive drab set including high lights !
Not checked on the gun yet, will do later when I get up :smiling:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Heavens above , nearly a full house. :surprised:
Good to see so many here .
Been finishing the German figures, you might have noticed that I've built them all with their kit . In the past I've tried doing weapons and kit separately. The trouble came when attempting to fit to a painted surface . Just found it awkward, the paint got damaged and it needed so much after care . This way at least the kit is well fixed , no doubt the painting when it comes to the kit will need care .
In the spares box I found some Panzer faust, what better for the ambush . Changed weapons on two of the figures and gave them the Panser faust . Any one know how spare explosive heads were boxed, or was the stick part just discarded after firing ?
Would be grateful for any help on that .

John .
Hi John.
They were single shot chuck away jobs.Cheap as chips as David dickerson might say.
Rich

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John.
They were single shot chuck away jobs.Cheap as chips as David dickerson might say.
Rich
Hi Rich, found that out, second charge was a bit risky because of the cheapness.

There were three different sizes, progressively larger, as time went on. Another reason to toss the launcher.
Yes, and they kept manufacturing them even after the end of ww2, used in Greece.
1690647902434.jpeg

1280px-Panzerfaust_helsinki.jpg

Found this photo of the box.
Thanks both.:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yesterday I attempted to CA a strap to a rifle.

2022_9.jpg
Even managed to a piece of wire in to replicate the strap end.

This was the ca I was using.

2022_26bnm.jpg
Brand new bottle used for this and regardless of that it didn't hold well, I roughed up the aluminium foil as well .
Am I using the right CA or is there a better one that is quick ?

Appreciate your thoughts.

John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
As you know I like VMS products. I have used this successfully. It says it's for PE. I don't know if I'm being conned into paying over the odds for ordinary CA but I'm happy with it.
1690648744165.png

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As you know I like VMS products. I have used this successfully. It says it's for PE. I don't know if I'm being conned into paying over the odds for ordinary CA but I'm happy with it.
View attachment 487244
Jim thanks, I had some of this some time ago, all gone now alsa, time to get some more it think .That Loctite is ok on some things, esp fingers and tools :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Opened the box this afternoon

Brief History from Wilki.
Specifications (3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10/M10A1[2])
Production history
Service history
peTank destroyer
Place of originUnited States
WarsWorld War II
1948 Arab–Israeli War
DesignerU.S. Army Ordnance Department
Designed1942
ManufacturerFisher Body division of General Motors
Ford Motor Company
Unit costUS$47,900 (equivalent to $857,908 in 2022)[1]
ProducedSeptember 1942 – December 1943
No. built6,406
Variantssee Variants
Mass
  • M10 – 65,200 lb (29.1 long tons; 29.6 t)
  • M10A1 – 64,000 lb (29 long tons; 29 t)
Length
  • 19 ft 7 in (5.97 m) hull
  • 22 ft 5 in (6.83 m) including gun
Width10 ft 0 in (3.05 m)
Height9 ft 6 in (2.90 m) over antiaircraft machine gun
Crew5 (Commander, gunner, loader, driver, assistant driver)

Armor0.375 to 2.25 in (9.5 to 57.2 mm)
Main
armament
3-inch gun M7 (76.2 mm) in Mount M5
54 rounds
Secondary
armament
.50 caliber (12.7 mm) Browning M2HB machine gun
300 rounds
Engine
Power/weight
  • M10 – 12.68 hp (9.46 kW)/metric ton
  • M10A1 – 15.50 hp (11.56 kW)/metric ton
TransmissionSynchromesh, 5 speeds forward, 1 reverse
SuspensionVertical volute spring suspension (VVSS)
Fuel capacity
  • M10 – 165 US gal (620 L)
  • M10A1 – 192 US gal (730 L)
Operational
range
  • M10 – 200 mi (320 km)
  • M10A1 – 160 mi (260 km)
Maximum speed
  • M10 – 25–30 mi (40–48 km)/hr on road
  • M10A1 – 30 mi (48 km)/hr on

Then this from Scalemates.

The Lend-lease program supplies allies of the US with various materials including weaponry, which is the subject of this M10. While most of the M10s went to the UK (1648) and Free French forces(443), 52 of them went to the Soviets, which is the subject of this vehicle. According to material written in 1982 by Hero of the Soviet Union Ivan Ivanovich Finyutin, he “speaks glowingly of the M10's firepower, excellent optics, and easy turret traverse. He does complain about the open-topped turret and compares the M10's mobility and armor unfavorably with the T-34, although it was certainly no worse than the SU-76. He also praises the usefulness of the .50-cal heavy machine gun, which he specifically mentions as being mounted atop the turret counterweights.” Finyutin was a driver of one the the M10's in his unit, who became Heroes of the Soviet Union following an action in which they engaged and knocked out a column of 6 Panthers in dense fog . Apparently they hid until the Germans had passed by, then came out and took the last tank out followed by the others in quick succession.

Right this was first made in 2001, this version came out in 2018 including some new parts. It's certainly a cleanly produced kit, I couldn't see any flash any where. The tracks are one piece, not popular with many I know apparently these vinyl tracks are made of a somewhat rigid material that gave good detail definition and paint adhesion . The only seem mentioned of course is the two part barrel.
Laid out the sprues and marked up .

2022_14.jpg2022_15asdf.jpg2022_16.jpg
Included is a Master box set of figures, might be able to use, might not as these seem to be relaxing.
2022_12sed.jpg

2022_20.jpg
Track look ok to me, in fact anything is better than separate links ;)

2022_21 vbg.jpg
The instructions look uncluttered, so hopefully I'll be ok.

2022_22.jpg
2022_25bhy.jpg
For Dave , yes it does have a 50 cal.

Photo and written information from Scale mates and Wilki for discussion only.

Thanks for looking in.
John.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John at the Shop sells quite a range of VMS CAs. Not sure what he has in stock though.
Thanks Jim, the last time I bought any it was from their Ebay shop.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks a more than decent kit. Interesting that the M10 was another armoured vehicle obtained by the fledgling state of Israel in 1948.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks a more than decent kit. Interesting that the M10 was another armoured vehicle obtained by the fledgling state of Israel in 1948.
Just hope I can give it a decent build Jim, going to take my time on this. Expecting a load of xps sheet and basswood , foam board on Monday , decided it's time to do better builds now I have more experience .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Quick tip: if you can, you may want to leave the roadwheels free to rotate on their axles, at least until after painting. That way you can paint the rubber tyres far more easily than having to get your brush in between the suspension arms and bogies and all that. The roadwheels are the only ones with rubber tyres, BTW — the return rollers and idler wheels are all steel.

It’s also easy enough to leave the whole bogies separate from the hull until after painting, to make painting the tyres less difficult still. Just build the complete bogies, paint them, then scrape the paint off the mounting plates on the hull and the backs of the bogies, and you can glue them into place.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Quick tip: if you can, you may want to leave the roadwheels free to rotate on their axles, at least until after painting. That way you can paint the rubber tyres far more easily than having to get your brush in between the suspension arms and bogies and all that. The roadwheels are the only ones with rubber tyres, BTW — the return rollers and idler wheels are all steel.

It’s also easy enough to leave the whole bogies separate from the hull until after painting, to make painting the tyres less difficult still. Just build the complete bogies, paint them, then scrape the paint off the mounting plates on the hull and the backs of the bogies, and you can glue them into place.
Thanks for that, will do . :thumb2: