Me 109 4/7 collours

M

msm2

What would be the closest colour match for the dark grey, Vallejo 71052 German Grey orVallejo Dark Grey Blue 71054?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I don't know Tony but we shouldn't beat ourselves up about exact matches on our models. Establishing the nature of the original colours is interesting from a research point of view but frankly any dark blue/grey colour will do for RLM 66 on a model.

RLM 02 was rather inconsistent the first time around in the 1940s. The RLM actually told contractors not to worry too much about it as,despite being used as a camouflage colour,it was never officially approved as such. It was always considered an interior primer colour. So much for german efficiency! Again a greyish green or greenish grey (depending on your eyes) will do.

Cheers

Steve

M

msm2

RLM 66 will do for me. Looks like I have to do a little more respraying. Oh fun....

T

T. van Vuuren

I just looked at the IPMS Stockholm site and the RM02 has no standard collour in either Humbrol or Tamiya!

I would have thought that such a widely used collour should have a "one tin" aplication, not to have to mix it yourself.

I will have a look at some online pix and try to mach it as best as I can.Thanx for the effort lads.

T

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Theuns,I'd say that's a decent representation of the colour you are after. Given the vagaries of photography and computer monitors you might lighten it a little for your model.

Tony where are you putting RLM 66 on your model? If it's the E you showed us earlier you are safe with an RLM 02 interior as in Theun's piccies above.

There is a good article by Dave Wadman (respected researcher) on the camouflage and markings of the Bf109E which he put online. It's a good synopsis of a huge subject and at the end he covers the interior conundrum under "canopy framework".

Here's a link,it saves me typing it out lol.

The 109 Lair- The Online Source for Messerschmitt 109 information

Click "articles" then go to "camouflage" on the drop down menu. Finally click "Bf109E" on the next drop down.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

msm2

RLM 66 on the cockpit instrument panel and seat if that is correct,this is for the Trumpeter 109E I have started a while back.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Tony the instrument panel would be a darker grey,probably RLM66. Leave the seat in RLM02.

The only other place where you might find RLM66 would be the canopy framing on an E-4 or later but the outside might well have ended up in the camouflage colours. Again,unless you want to refer to werk nummers and production blocks you won't know what dash number your aircraft was ORIGINALLY built as. They sent them back for upgrades! Don't worry too much about it,there isn't a right or wrong here.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Xtracolour do a good range of RLM colours in gloss enamels.I buy mine fromWonderland models on the Internet.I wouldn't recommend their clear varnish though.I bought some and it looks yellowish brown in the bottle.I use Revell or Humbrol clear varnishes as I only use enamels.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Forgot to add, i am using "ME 109 aces of north Africa and the Med" as my referance. T
Just re-read this. Is that the Osprey Aircraft of the Aces book?

I've just dug it out and it has some good profiles. The one of Muncheberg's "White 12",which is one of the kit options,is correct. It has the white vertical gruppe bar behind the cross and not a white theatre band. I'm guessing Tamiya wrongly call for the band as I see a few models with it!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

T. van Vuuren

same book Steve, look at the middle pix on P12 of black/red #8

In this pic I can clearly see the mottle edges are actually very soft.I have been to the shop and the only correct RLM02 I could get was way to expensive for me! I desided to try and mix my own by using a cockpit green with some light grey in it......will have to see how it comes out though, stay tuned!

T

ps. what is the posibility of my plane ever having been in the 2 tone collour as on the book cover????(yellow 14)

T

T. van Vuuren

If I look at the pix I posted it allmost seems to my untrained eye that the 02 was more greenish then grey.But then I would also assume that the exact collour would be hard to mach as it would fade ligter in the African sun?

Wold the inside of the canopy frame also be this 02?

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Theuns,very hard to judge photos of colours on a computer screen but I would say you need to chuck some more grey in. I've brushed out two of the colours I use and I'll post a piccy as soon as they dry.

The inside of the canopy frame could be 02 or 66. I'd go for dark grey 66 on an E-7 but there isn't a definite answer without a good photo.

The scheme of your aircraft was applied in the field. It was supposed to match the desert/scrub terrain which it did well. The Es usually had a high demarcation line for the sand colour and then the green mottle. It was prevalent at the beginning of the Luftwaffe's North African campaign in 1941.

The aircraft on the cover is one of Marseille's Fs. These arrived in theatre in that standard two tone scheme (the demarcation line did vary from time to time) and replaced the Es. There are some examples of Fs and even early Gs on which a mottle has been applied but they were not the rule.

Here's a better version of one of the photos in your book which shows the mottle quite well. It is sprayed but is much tighter than the sort of cloudy overspray you'd see on a typical BoB aircraft in Europe.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The daylight has gone here and I can't get a decent photo. The colour Tony has posted above looks spot on to me. Anything like that will be fine.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

It is rather difficult to compare the pix on the screen to the example in my hand:smile13:

I will add a few drops of dark grey to it and see if that looks better, otherwise I will tell people the paint was faded! LOL

First I will do a bit of an experiment and drybrush on smoe grey to see if it makes it look more like 02

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Well ,I have got it as close to the pix as I can with mye untrained Mk-1 eyeball.I will stick to what I have got and start assembly on it.Luckely as Steve said - the RLM standards might have been "interpreted" differently by the paint Co's LOL

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It'll be fine Theuns. It's a model and no inspectors are coming round with chips for comparison! Don't forget to keep us posted.

Cheers

Steve