Mk1 Tiger 1/16 Diorama

J

John Huggins

Hi all,

This will be my first attempt at a diorama so i have chosen eastern front 1941/2 using a 1:1/6 Mk1 tiger.

Sorry to say im building the hachette tiger, "i know" its expencive but it's the only way i can afford it . the turret is all but finished and yes the barrel was in two parts but im pritty good with the car body filler so you could not tell it was made in two parts.

All models i have built before look like new with no wethering or battle damage so this will be a challange for me, so i will need all the help i can get.

Will try to add some photo's later but the ones i have the files are to big to down load, so i will get my son to help do it.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this, what ever they are.

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A 1/6 Diorama. That's going to be both big and interesting!

Hope you get the photo thing sorted as it will be interesting to see the Hachette tiger being built.

Almost forgot; Welcome to the forum John. Have a look around and dont be afraid to ask. No question is to silly, but you will with out doubt get some silly replies!

Ian M

J

John Huggins

Thanks ian as soon as i can i will post the pic's.

Thanks for the welcome.

S

sprayman

Welcome John...1/6 dio....wow, look forward to the pics and build.

J

John Huggins

Thanks sprayman,

Got lots of idea's on the build but it's going to be a long haul, i've built weekly models before like the DeAgasine spitfire and i still got the photo's of the build, and it flew very well, made lots of mods to it to make it look more like the real thing.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Just posted pic's of spitfire & mozzy in my album.

Last edited:
J

John Huggins

Thanks Andy, it's going to be a long haul this one just started to fill in the joints where the turret sides and top screw together using body filler, the gapes are rather big. As i'm not sure of the exact size of the tank when complet i will start on the base, all i can say is it's going to be "big". I lay awake at night thinking of things i could do, i've seen a VW Kubelwagon 1:1/6 on ebay i would like to use so i will need a lot of room.

B

Bunkerbarge

Would I not be correct in saying that the Hachette Tiger I is a 1/16th scale model? A 1/6th Tiger I is four foot six inches (1373mm) long and any form of diorama would end up being rather huge.

Are we talking 1/16th here?

J

John Huggins

Yep thats the one but i did'nt think it was that big the total leanth of the turret & barrel is only 16 3/4" or 42.5cm so i cant see how it's going to be that big ??. I will check on there web site & get back to you ok.

J

John Huggins

Just checked there web site and yes it's a 1/16 scale Tiger Mk1 Auf.E. Panzerkampfwagen v1 (Sd.Kfz 181).

B

Bunkerbarge

In which case your hull will be around 15 inches long, which seems a bit more feasible!!

Don't worry it's easy to get mixed up with scales, we all do it.

J

John Huggins

No prob, gave me a bit of a fright at 4'6" thats one hell of a dio.

B

Bunkerbarge

\ said:
No prob, gave me a bit of a fright at 4'6" thats one hell of a dio.
That would have been the size of the Tiger!!!:laughing:

J

John Huggins

After a little research into my Hachette Tiger i have found it to be a late production model, (1944-) it has Zimmerit anty-magmetic past and the new cupola with side-swinging hatch, the turret has a monocular sight (single hole to the right of the main barrel, also has steel road wheels and notched hull extensions on the front where the tow cables attach. bit techy i know but i like to get it right dont want to put an late Mk1 tiger in a dia 41/2 if the tank wernt built yet.:nonono:.

D

Doctor Cranky

Wow, what a scale. The details look so good. I hope to see more of this one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
After a little research into my Hachette Tiger i have found it to be a late production model, (1944-) it has Zimmerit anty-magmetic past and the new cupola with side-swinging hatch, the turret has a monocular sight (single hole to the right of the main barrel, also has steel road wheels and notched hull extensions on the front where the tow cables attach. bit techy i know but i like to get it right dont want to put an late Mk1 tiger in a dia 41/2 if the tank wernt built yet.:nonono:.
John, remember 'cos it's a late steel wheel version, the outer road wheels will be left off....Unless anyone knows different! lol

Cheers,

Ron