Mk1 Tiger 1/16 Diorama

J

John Huggins

Thanks Virgil

Iwill try ti keep it up, will post more pic,s as and when i build them.

Thanks again John

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking very good John, I'm surprised at how much detail there is inside the turret. There are a lot of very good Tiger I books out there but I expect the kit to at least be correct in it's rendition. The items you state are correctly found on the later production models and there were indeed only three rows of road wheels as opposed to four on the plain rubber shod earlier versions.

There should also be no air filter units on the engine deck as they did away with these on later versions but I'm sure the kit is correct with such things. If you really want to get geeky the tools mounted on the hull also changed position with variants but I would leave it up to the manufacturer to have done his homework or buy yourself one of the books.

J

John Huggins

Thank you Richard for your comments and info i'm new to this game .

How do i need to talk to to change my thread title from 1/6 to 1:1/6 as it seems to confuse some people.

Thanks again

John

B

Bunkerbarge

John, I have actually seen the gap you have filled in made to look like the surface of a weld, which it actually is, but as to whether it should be such a deep groove is questionable. Your filling it in is possibly closer to reality anyway as this drawing of the Tiger I turret weld shows:

Tiger 1 : Edge of 40mm roof

B

Bunkerbarge

You might also find this link very interesting:

Tiger 1 : "Tiger Tank partwork" scale model from Hachette Collections

I did and I'm not building the Hachette model!

J

John Huggins

Thanks again Richard,

I think it's a bit to much info for me to take in as a beginer, from what i can make out i've got a late turret with a mid production body, (i think).:smile12:

Theres not a lot a can do to change some of the detale on the turret except maybe sink the loaders hatch but this would be a bugger to do as the roof is firmly attached, i will have to think about it & way up if all the effort is worth it. Remember my skills are very limated and the turret is made of alumineum & not plastic, & would anyone even notice ??.

As for the rest of the tank i will have to see what comes with the kit & then decide.

Regards

John

B

Bunkerbarge

I completely agree John, I just thought you might find the links interesting rather than suggesting that you follow thier lead.

I quite often look at what others have done in awe but wouldn't dream of trying it myself.

J

John Huggins

Sorry Richard

I was not having a pop at you i was just going into overload. Thanks for the links they will be of grate help when building the rest of the tank.

Shame one of the blogs is in German as i dont speek the lingo but the pic's speek volumes, the Tiger partworks link is ace but most of the changes are to the inside of the tank which you dont see in a dio.

Had a look at your pic's of the snow tiger very nice, i just hope i can do half as well and i would be happy.

Thanks again

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice work on the turret John, coming along a treat with some nice weathering too..

Ron

J

John Huggins

Thanks Ron for ur comments, i think this is what i've been wating for, a little pick up so i know im partly on the right track, as i said befor it's my first time and i only have two brushes five pots of paint and what ever i can find around the house, all my wethering is done with a pencil & cottenbuds, i dont have a spray gun just a can of white primer i had left over from work i did on my 4X4 & body filler, (wife borrowed the 4X4 when it snowed say no more).

John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
John, to my way of thinking and what I have found in practice, good though they are, you don't neccessarily need all this and that pigment and other such stuff. Perfectly acceptable results can be obtained without them. They can aquired when you feel ready to.

Similarily an airbrush, I don't have one, but when you feel ready to get one the lads on here will tell you all you need to know about them.

You say it's your first time modelling, so the only advise I can give is take your time. Just look, learn and enjoy. That's why we are all here!

Don't get frustrated when your efforts are perhaps not what you wanted. You will do better with the next project.

The main thing, as John (Centurion3RTR) always says is...Have fun.

Ron

J

John Huggins

View attachment 24652 Thanks Ron i will take ur advice. this is what i was thinking of doing for my dio, sorry about the bad pic as i did it on my PC Paint and i'm not that good with it but it gives you some idea of what i'm thinking of. The tank is dug in and there will be a support team with it plus tank crew, ammo boxes and that sort of thing. what u think.

Hope u like.

John.

View attachment 30996

Untitled.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
welcome john im new to but the lads on here give some good advise so just ask away

T

travellingman49

Hi John,i've subscribed to the Tiger as well but i've only started the build(did the barrel then put all the other bits in a box until i can get some of my stash built and get some practice with the airbrush) so i'll be watching with great interest,cheers cliff.

J

John Huggins

Welcome Cliff, as im sure you know this will be a long thread, the tank is not hard to build, the only thing i can advise you on is drill out the holes a bit iff your screwing into Alumin as the holes are a bit to small and the screws wont go all the way in, other than that it's plain sailing (i hope).

John