New to this group build stuff but really looking forward to it!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
First of all, hi everyone!

Although I've been registered with the site a while, this is my first venture into the group build forum. I'm really interested to see everyone's 190 take shape and, as I'm not usually an aircraft modeller, would appreciate any historic or technical advice on the subject.:bow::bow:

Anyhoo, the 190 I bought was the Eduard 190A-8 and I have to say that, looking at the parts in the box, this is an awesome kit! While I'm no expert on the 190 (I will be simply building the kit OOB) the parts show excellent detail with pre coloured photo etch and paint masks included.

Lastly I hope my finished piece is up to the standards set on this site and look forward to some modellng chat on all things Focke Wolf!:goodluck:

View attachment 22629

View attachment 22630

View attachment 22631

View attachment 22632

View attachment 22633

190A_8s01..jpg

190A_8s05..jpg

190A_8s04..jpg

190A_8s02..jpg

190A_8s03..jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi paul , nice choice of kit. Im sure youll make a great job of it, dont be afraid to ask away if theres anything youre not sure about, the GB is going to be a great learning opportunity for us all. good luck with the build , cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well Paul you've picked my fave FW190 of all. I love Sturmbocks/Rammjagers. The A-8 is just so much of a killer imho.

Looking forward to watching you build this. As Tony says. If you need any advice then just ask and we'll do our best to help :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

Nice one Paul. Glad you decided to jump in on the Group Build. You have a great kit there and I am sure you will get most questions answered. A lot are in the same boat as there are some great armour builders on here delving into the dark-side of flying things. That is what the Group Build is all about. Good luck with the build and keep us posted on your progress.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is a nice kit Paul. "Out of the box" for one of the Eduard ProfiPacks is really a kit with a lot of bells and whistles. You are sure to get a nice model out of it.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers everyone for the support. It's great to be aboard!

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Welcome the first GB, looks a nice kit too.

Have fun, John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
...it's just like waiting for a London bus - you wait weeks for a pic and then 10 come all at once!!!

View attachment 15177View attachment 15178View attachment 15179View attachment 15180View attachment 15181

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the kit - it is excellent. The only spot of bother I've had so far was when I mated the 2 fuselage halves together. In my eagerness to crack on with the build I didn't locate the cockpit properly and I had to dive in with a micro chisel and dig out the dry superglue (doh!) Luckily for me I managed to salvage the situation and I think I'm back on track. I'm now at the 'wings to fuselage' stage so I may be speaking too soon!

I love the cockpit detail in this kit - fantastic!

View attachment 23553

View attachment 23554

View attachment 23555

View attachment 23556

View attachment 23557

Engine finished..jpg

Mr Surfacer..jpg

Drybrush canons..jpg

Fuselage trouble&#46.jpg

Wings and fusela&#103.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That is coming along very nicely. As you say,they are lovely kits,you just need to take care with lining stuff up. You certainly don't look like you are having any trouble anyway.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fenlander

Great stuff Paul, good to see you back on the build. It is certainly coming along very nicely. Main problem I had was that the engine ended up being about a mm too far forward so the fan fouled the main cowling but I managed to sort it. I think I had the firewall badly positioned. As Steve said, you have to line everything up perfectly.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Steve/Graham

Re: the firewall. I think the next challenge is going to be getting the engine correctly mounted as you've said. My plan is to mount the engine to the frame (I've already built this but it did prove quite difficult to get the right angles on the 3 adjoining pieces) and then trim the frame a little if the engine doesn't quite fit. I've already test fitted these parts and it looks like I'm going to have the same problem. I still don't believe this is a fault with the kit, it's just that the tolerances within the kit are to scale too making any margin for error very small!

Graham - do you mind if I steal your open engine covers idea? It just seems a waste, after all this effort on getting the engine to look right and then fit in to the fuselage, to then cover it up. I plan to also open up one cannon bay and the upper cowling over the nose machine guns. I don't plan any figures though!

Thanks for the heads-up on the engine fit problems.

Steve, I think I read one of your posts that recommended brass tubing for gun/canon barrels - anyway, thought I'd give it a go on this build and (so far) it's going well - 2 more to go.

Cheers

P

F

Fenlander

Steal away Paul, I nicked it myself lol including the detailing for the inside of the panels. If you have some plastic card you can do a better job, I only had thin cardboard.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Graham, I do have some plastic card so I'll attempt the heat guards, but seriously, if my 190 turns out anywhere near the quality of your 'green 3' I am going to be very pleased.

I'm well impressed by everyones knowledge, skill and enthusiasm on this site - I'm learning quite a bit.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
View attachment 15200View attachment 15199View attachment 15201

After much swearing, wringing of hands, fitting/refitting (rebuilding from plastic rod!) I've finally managed to fit the engine to the fuselage. Graham, you weren't kidding about this stage of the build! You will also notice that I've completely and unashamedly ripped off your engine cover idea!!! There is still a mall problem with the alignment of the frame to the fuselage but I've decided to live with it (I don't think it's too noticeable anyway unless viewed directly above).

I feel I've broken the back of the build process, all the sub assemblies are complete and I've masked off the canopy in readiness for my favourite bit - painting!

All being well I should have some paint on it at the weekend.

by-the-way, I have been making use of the reference shots and advice of others - so thanks all for the info. If there's ever a group build on Panzer IVs , Shermans and the like I can return the favour!

Cheers

P

View attachment 23575

View attachment 23576

View attachment 23577

Engine fit.jpg

Engine covers.jpg

Wonky frame pointer.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks excellent paul ,great painting on the engine. Cant wait to see it with the camo on. cheers tony

F

Fenlander

Coming on very nicely Paul. Take your time, no rush. Like the exhaust pipe colour, what did you use?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks very good. It's a tight fit under the various covers as it was on the real thing. I'm glad you've found some useful references,it's something that makes a group build worthwhile.

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The exhaust pipes were first painted leather brown (vallejo) then given dark brown oil wash (with the rest of the engine) and finally given a wash of mig pigments standard rust. This rust wash is probably the most noticeable stage. Basically I just tried a few things until I was happy with the result.

I'm thinking, because everyone else has pretty much used up the figure sets available (and made a damn fine job with them!!!) I may try a kubelwagen. I also quite fancy the idea of having the 190 under a camo net but have no idea whether the airfields in Germany actually used nets to cover their aircraft or whether they were in hangers etc. Then again, I may just settle for the aircraft for now!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul. The Luftwaffe most definitely used camouflage netting as well as everything they could find to try to hide their aircraft. Aircraft were always dispersed around airfields and towards the end of the war the Luftwaffe was forced to operate from temporary fields (and I mean fields!) and even suitable lengths of autobahn. I've attached a few piccies showing netting and one of Hans Dortemann climbing into his D-9 which has been camouflaged with cut branches.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23586

View attachment 23587

View attachment 23588

View attachment 23589

View attachment 23590

190net.JPG

190net2.JPG

190 net3.JPG

190 net woods.JPG

190 camo dortemann.JPG