New to this group build stuff but really looking forward to it!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Brilliant, That's me sorted then! One 190 under camo nets coming right up! That shot by the woods is cool too... I quite like the idea of the 190 emerging from cover maybe I'll go for some trees too.

Thanks for the reference - that's great.

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Here's a few more. That 190 is not far from those trees! Notice the heavily camouflaged accumulator trolley on the right of the photo. This is how you operate when the enemy has air superiority.

There is also a photo of a blast pen built from bales,bang goes some local farmer's harvest.

Finally one showing a substantial structure of camouflage netting.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23591

View attachment 23592

View attachment 23593

190woods.JPG

190 hay bales.JPG

190 and nets.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers for all the reference. I think I am going to go for the camo net/forest idea. I think it kind of tells it's own story - allied air superiority and increasing desperate measures by the German forces.

The first pic has a 190 with 2 drop tanks - where the hell is it going? a secret mission over the US!!! The 2nd pic - I don't think those hay bails are going to give too much resistance to a 1000lb bomb! Talking of which, they don't seem that bothered about where they leave their ordinance do they? check out the bomb in the foreground - just waiting for Frank Von Spencer to trip over it!

Superb pics though - it's shots like these that flesh out the 190 story for me.

Thanks again

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No worries ,I've enjoyed digging them out. Most of them are already scanned on my computer,it's just a matter of finding them in my rather arcane filing system! I did find this one,not nets but camouflage nonetheless. How many out of ten would you give this chap for this effort? He looks very proud of himself.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23596

190 branches.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
He looks proud but I spotted the 190 almost immediately!

:thumbs-up:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Me too. Today's prize for "most unimaginative use of camo net" goes to JG53. See if you can spot a Bf109G-6 hidden by this magnificent effort.

Steve

View attachment 23597

Bf109G_6 3.JG53.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That 109 looks like it's got a cold! Got a scarf on and a blankie to keep it warm! Aw, bless!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Just got myself ready for painting my 190. The scheme I've gone for is for Walter Dahl's Blue 13 - the chief reason I bought this particular model was because I liked the red band and blue numbers (I don't really know anything about FW190s). The strange space hopper undercarriage is actually white tac. I used this to mask the undercarriage bays with 2 more blobs to support the model so that I could rest the piece down without marking the paint.

View attachment 15312View attachment 15313View attachment 15314

View attachment 23683

View attachment 23684

View attachment 23685

All Primed.jpg

Paint scheme001.jpg

Strange undercarriage.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've now got some paint on the 190. The steps I took are pretty much shown in the photographs. This is my first attempt at preshading - a technique that I know some modelers don't like but I was keen to try. I've used it for armour models and wanted to see if I could achieve the effect on a 1/48 aircraft. I am quite pleased with the results and hope you like it too. I've still to touch in a few areas (like the tips of the exhausts which were impossible to mask) but once these small areas are done, it's on with a coat of Johnson's clear (for the gloss varnish) and then the decals.

View attachment 15316View attachment 15315View attachment 15319View attachment 15317View attachment 15318

Sorry Graham, I did try to slow down the build but just couldn't help myself!

View attachment 23686

View attachment 23687

View attachment 23688

View attachment 23689

View attachment 23690

Paintjob04.jpg

Preshading 02.jpg

Paintjob02.jpg

Paintjob03.jpg

Paintjob01.jpg

F

Fenlander

Coming on really well Paul. Nice looking scheme you have chosen to. Have to say I like the space hopper tip lol. Paintwork looks great. I always do the pre-shade but it doesn't always work ot. It all depends how thick the colour has to go on. I tend to find I lose most of it but then again subtlety is the key to pre-shading. I also find that sometimes it looks great on the model but is lost in the pictures.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Have you sussed out the pine trees yet? They are going to be tall in 1:48 1 to 2ft tall I would think......

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Graham

I wanted to keep the preshading subtle - I don't think it's too over the top. It did disappear a bit on the upper surfaces (especially the green) but I figure the upper surfaces would be less in shadow anyway. One thing I have learned is that preshading hurts! I've got a numb index finger on my right hand from holding the airbrush trigger down too long to get those lines down the panels!

For the Pine trees I think I'm going to adapt the excellent reference from Scott (noble). You're right I think the trees will end up about 16" high (they could be bigger but I think that will do). I would like to give the impression of being on the outskirts of a dense forest, so I may have to contain the diorama in a box with a suitable back drop forest print to give this enclosed feel. I haven't properly thought it through yet but you get the idea.

I tell you what I am finding really interesting is the number of different interpretations and schemes for this FW190 'brief' - it's amazing to see so many different takes on it. Brilliant!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking very good indeed. I'm also looking forward to these pine trees!

Cheers

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Here's the update on 'Blue 13'.

Got the decals on after the Johnson's Klear varnish...

View attachment 15360

Then I gave the surfaces a coating of Pro Modeller Dark Wash

View attachment 15361

then it was assembly time

View attachment 15362

Looking a bit too glossy at the mo so I gave it a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish and I'm almost there...

View attachment 15363View attachment 15364View attachment 15365

View attachment 23709

View attachment 23710

View attachment 23711

View attachment 23712

View attachment 23713

View attachment 23714

Decals On.jpg

Pro wash.jpg

Assembled.jpg

Nearly there01.jpg

Nearly there03.jpg

Nearly there02.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi paul , thats a superb finish youve got there, beautifully done! The decals youre having the dilemma with look to me like the ones on some a-8 s, like a black square with a point coming off it ,see the decal no 20 on the sheet, maybe this particular aircraft had this marking at some time ,i would imagine its an optional thing. Personally i would just stick to a bit of light exhaust staining as per the box art, ive looked at a few profiles of this aircraft and none of them had the black markings, thats not to say it never had them though . Congrats on a super build, cheers tony

F

Fenlander

I have painted it on my 'Green 3' as I had put on the PE panels and I didn't think the decal would go on right. I think it is just a bit of black paint to make the heat damage from the exhausts less noticeable and easier to re-paint rather than trying to cover damage on the camo finish. As Tony said, bit of a personal preference.

The aircraft is looking really good Paul, very sharp build and paint job. Another name for my list of "Who to send my kits to for painting"

Nice to see another one with the spiral on the spinner. Mine had the shorter spiral but I have to say, after reading all the problems putting the decals on, I was surprised how easily it did go on. I sort of dropped it in place and it fell into position. The secret I think is to paint the spinner with lots of water so it slides easily.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Tony, I'm glad you like 'Blue 13' I'm really pleased with the results so far. I think you're right about the decal I'm just going to do the exhaust stains. I know that some 190s had black panels (some shaped like birds of prey I think) but this just somehow looked wrong. Thanks for the compliments it means a lot. I'm really liking what you're doing with the Monogram kit - that harness is superb.

I'd like to get this finished for Friday as it's the model club meet and I'd like to take it along. I think it rates as my best aircraft to date - I made some mistakes in the build but I think overall it looks how I wanted it to.

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
I have painted it on my 'Green 3' as I had put on the PE panels and I didn't think the decal would go on right. I think it is just a bit of black paint to make the heat damage from the exhausts less noticeable and easier to re-paint rather than trying to cover damage on the camo finish. As Tony said, bit of a personal preference.The aircraft is looking really good Stuart, very sharp build and paint job. Another name for my list of "Who to send my kits to for painting"
Stuart? Don't worry I answer to anything me! Mush will do!

Thanks for the compliments Graham as I've said it means a lot from you guys.

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Graham - I thought about using the PE but decided against it. If I build another I think I'd fit the PE to the fuselage halves first thing and scrape the plastic away at the forward edge so they stick out at an angle. As it goes I've just depicted them closed. I say this now just in case anyone else wants to build the Eduard 190.

Paul