New to this group build stuff but really looking forward to it!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hiya Paul,just saw this (tea time). As far as black "chevrons" or birds of prey go some had them and some didn't. I can't check on your aircraft as I'm away from home but I'd go with Eduard's profile.

Steve

BTW Exhaust staining followed an extravagant path (attached) and yet in nearly all the photos I have it has been cleaned off and is barely discernable. You takes your choice!

View attachment 23717

190 exhaust.JPG

F

Fenlander

Good info as always Steve. Just one question. Why is Stephen Fry in that aircraft?????

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It is him isn't it!!!! took time out of his busy QI series to shoot down a few B17s!!!

:thumbsup:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Paul, that's looking very nice. It's probably the angle of the photograph or how I'm looking at the picture, but your gun cover on the fuselage behind the cowling looks much too big to fit in the space available?

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

It's not glued down as I'll be displaying it open with the guns being serviced. You may also notice 2 canons are missing! Not finished yet but hopefully soon.

Cheers

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

I've just about finished 'blue 13' but I have one last question. The aerial wire from the canopy - how slack is it when the canopy is drawn back? If anyone has any reference I would again be very grateful.

Cheers

Paul

F

Fenlander

There has been discussion on this. Some have a system that tensions the wire and some don't. Full thread Here

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Perfect! Excellent reference - thanks to all on that!

Cheers

P

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry, one last question - the wire that runs down to the fuselage - where exactly does it enter the fuselage? Again help much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Paul. Your subject would have had the tensioning system so the wire ran through the canopy over a roller and doubled back into the fuselage. It would have remained tight with the hood slid back.

I'll try to dig out a picture to answer your second question.

I've not managed to locate a photo of your aircraft but you'll be glad to know I have found a couple of profiles....no chevron behind the exhausts. They disagree about the colour of the B-17 in the cross hair logo but hey ho! I'm sure Eduard have made a good guesstimate.

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The wire is usually not very visible in period B+W photos so I've attached a schematic and a picture from a walkaround. The close up shows where the wire passes into the fuselage just to starboard of the centre line and just infront of the first panel line infront of the fin. I think that there is an insulator missing (going by what I've seen on Bf109s) but this won't effect your model. The vertical wire was twisted around the horizontal with the twists running to the rear along the horizontal wire.

The schematic gives a good profile view.

BTW I never said that your model looks superb, I for one am looking forward to seeing it c/w finishing touches.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23754

View attachment 23755

190 antenna entry.JPG

Fw190A_8.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve

You are the font of all knowledge - no question!!!

This might seem a bit dim of me but the wire wants to enter to the right of the centre line when viewed from the tail end? Is starboard the right of the plane when facing forward?

I'm glad you like 'Blue 13' - it has been a pleasure to build and I've enjoyed the banter in the group build. Hopefully I can get round to taking some pics at the weekend and then I may transfer the diorama build to the diorama section as it seems that a few people are interested in how to make the fir trees (me included as I haven't worked it out yet!)

BTW - you have helped me out enormously with this. Thank you so much

Cheers

P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
No such thing as a dim question! What might seem obvious to some may not be at all to others. The right (starboard) side of the aircraft would be your right if you were sitting in the cockpit. Here's a profile which has got it correct...a lot don't. I'm glad to have been able to help in a small way.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23756

untitled.JPG

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent! I kind of knew the starboard thing but wasn't a 100%

Again, thank you so much. I'll get on now and finish it off.

Cheers

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Following our earlier conversation I finally found the right book. Many images of JG 300 with single red band. Apparently they only changed to Blue/white/blue in "early '45" (my money's on February following the order I sent you) to "avoid confusion with JG1" who were assigned a red band at that time.

Here's a piccy of "Red 1", Wk-Nr 682204, the aircraft of Leutnant Klaus Bretschneider who was Staffelkapitan of 5./JG300. It is quite aptly running up in the woods and clearly has a single coloured band.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23757

red1_JG300.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Steve, thanks for looking that up you've gone to a lot of trouble.

It's great that JG300 are operating from woods - means my dio may even be historically accurate (with some artistic license).

That's all worked out fantastically well for me - more luck than judgement on my part but I'm pleased non the less.

I'll keep you posted on developments

Paul:banana: