Noob, recommend me some "essential" tools?

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
As a newbie, well I made some models about 40+ years ago! I want to go down the realism route, so will be painting, weathering etc.
What are the absolute essentials that you consider would be needed for general scale modelling, aircraft, vehicles, motorbikes, etc?

I already have some basic modelling tools, including: selection of tweezers, small files, cutting knives, paint brushes, sanding sticks, small selection of paints, mostly Tamiya, thinners, glue (thin), primer (flat), some cocktail sticks and blutac to hold small parts. Also have a large self healing cutting mat and one of those small 2x croc clips with magnifying glass type contraptions.

I will be only painting models via brush at this early stage, although I may move on to airbrush at some stage.
Any help / suggestions on good starter kit / equipment appreciated, thank you.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Clothes pegs (wooden), cotton buds, cocktail sticks, low tack masking tape, scalpel and No11 blades, optivisor head magnifier, a suitable table lamp/light, paint pens (for doing control knobs, switches and dials), storage boxes or drawers for your gear.
This list is not exhaustive, as I am sure other members will demonstrate with their suggestions, but you should also equip yourself with patience, pragmatism and sense of humour.
Welcome back to the hobby and good luck. Be sure to share your builds with us.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Peter. I was going to say cutting mat. But see you have that.
I've found Tamiya tape also very helpful. Looking at your list it looks pretty comprehensive.
Good luck .

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A small selection of drill bits is pretty essential. I had to buy some for my 2nd ever model and have used them on the majority of models since. Certainly most aircraft will need some holes opening out here & there.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You seem to have most of what you'll need. Build up "stuff" as and when needed.
One thought on paint. Tamiya is a strange paint. It will thin with water or acrylic thinners but will also dilute with a lacquer thinner. When lacquer thinners is used it sprays beautifully through the airbrush. Unfortunately it is not a good paint to brush paint with. As you work the paint will tend to lift as you brush over it. It can be brush painted but it's difficult. A true acrylic like Vallejo Model Colour is better for brush painting.
There are a few threads about brush painting. Look especially for threads by Spanner570 (Ron) as he is an excellent brush painter.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
On the non tool front

Headache tablets
Swear box, large
Radio ( to drown out the swearing)
Open window to through bits out of
Bible to pray for safe return of missing parts.
Plasters for when the tools fight back

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
On the non tool front

Headache tablets
Swear box, large
Radio ( to drown out the swearing)
Open window to through bits out of
Bible to pray for safe return of missing parts.
Plasters for when the tools fit back
You missed adult bib for catching those fly away bits!!!
Also collects dribble when having a moment!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You missed adult bib for catching those fly away bits!!!
Also collects dribble when having a moment!!
WELL Bob matey youve said it all i was goin to say beat me to it you little devil lol oh an bandages as well as bri will atest to oh dear be carefull with cuttin knife oh dear an saftey glasses when usein luiqiud C/A as i found out an nr blinded myself when some filcked in my eye oh dear
chrisb

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Clamps. Just getting that one in quickly before I'm beaten to it. There are many different ones around. But something to hold bits together, so you don't have to would be a good idea.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Make sure if you wear them your reading glasses are up-to-date work at the same distance as you do to read if your optician has done his job properly thats all you need with some decent lighting/lamps no need to waste moneyfor strap on magnifying things ,most modeling lamps have a built in magnifier if real close inspection is wanted ,if your struggling you need glasses this comment will no doubt bring down much fury but honestly proper glasses not the one's you got ages ago and decent lighting .
20230121_173922.jpg
20230205_122401.jpg
20231214_160414.jpg
All done with a decent pair of glasses if you can't see what your doing you need glasses. Dave

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Thanx for all the great suggestions. :hungry:

It seems that I have most of what's been suggested, just didn't include in my original list, eg: as I also have clamps, cotton buds, pegs, masking tape, and I have a desk/chair in my old study. Used to use it when working from home, but now retired, so its not used. Also have couple of task lights and one of those small hand operated mini drills with a selection of small bits.

Not seen a razor saw, will have a look at one of those?
I do have other paints, Vallejo, Humbrol, etc as well as Tamiya, plus a few pigments, paint pens, carbon pencils, etc..
Also treated myself to some small paint mixing bowls and an electric mini paint mixer tool, you only live once, Lol! :thumb2:

I'm lucky that I have a lot of "normal" tools, as I have tinkered /fettled stuff for years, fishing gear, DIY, shooting gear, cycles, motorbikes, cars, etc, so have a full garage of normal tools, but have created my own little modelling tool kit now too.

At the moment I just have a black plastic storage box for it all, but I may invest in one of those purpose made modelling storage units, for paint, brushes, tool, etc.

Once again thanx. I'm sure this is one of those hobbies that will "grow", and cost me more money as I go along.... ;)

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Re Glasses, yes I do wear them to read / work on laptop, etc and I had a check up this autumn and have some new glasses. :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thanx for all the great suggestions. :hungry:

It seems that I have most of what's been suggested, just didn't include in my original list, eg: as I also have clamps, cotton buds, pegs, masking tape, and I have a desk/chair in my old study. Used to use it when working from home, but now retired, so its not used. Also have couple of task lights and one of those small hand operated mini drills with a selection of small bits.

Not seen a razor saw, will have a look at one of those?
I do have other paints, Vallejo, Humbrol, etc as well as Tamiya, plus a few pigments, paint pens, carbon pencils, etc..
Also treated myself to some small paint mixing bowls and an electric mini paint mixer tool, you only live once, Lol! :thumb2:

I'm lucky that I have a lot of "normal" tools, as I have tinkered /fettled stuff for years, fishing gear, DIY, shooting gear, cycles, motorbikes, cars, etc, so have a full garage of normal tools, but have created my own little modelling tool kit now too.

At the moment I just have a black plastic storage box for it all, but I may invest in one of those purpose made modelling storage units, for paint, brushes, tool, etc.

Once again thanx. I'm sure this is one of those hobbies that will "grow", and cost me more money as I go along.... ;)
Seems you have more than I have/had!!! Well certainly had when I started last March 23!
As for the costing more money - that goes without saying!! Nature of the beast!!!!

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Couple of photos of my kit / gear so far, and my first few kits.... I'm sure I will add to it as I go along! ;)
The space I have so far is basically half of the desk, as theres a monitor and laptop on the other half, but I think I will get rid of or move the monitor and laptop, as I can see that I will probably need more space, but we'll see.....
Modelling gear Dec23_ (1).jpgModelling gear Dec23_ (2).jpgModelling gear Dec23_ (3).jpg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wooden tooth picks...the ones that are sharp at both ends. Great for applying tiny bits of paint on instrument panels, good for removing excess over paint on transparent canopy parts, digging out goop from the bottom of paint bottle for pigment use, sometimes can be used as a glue applicator for CA, definitely one of the best tools for sculpting, helps unclog Vallejo bottle tips and used as pegs to secure polystyrene blocks being glued. As I build I'll find more uses for it.

Cheers,
Wabble

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Wooden tooth picks...the ones that are sharp at both ends. Great for applying tiny bits of paint on instrument panels, good for removing excess over paint on transparent canopy parts, digging out goop from the bottom of paint bottle for pigment use, sometimes can be used as a glue applicator for CA, definitely one of the best tools for sculpting, helps unclog Vallejo bottle tips and used as pegs to secure polystyrene blocks being glued. As I build I'll find more uses for it.

Cheers,
Wabble
Thank you.....Yep, I have already got some small toothpicks and also some larger BBQ type cocktail sticks and also some lolly sticks. :thumb2: