Noob, recommend me some "essential" tools?

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Agree with Dave. There are loads of tools that you think you need…..you buy ‘em, use them once or twice and then put them back in thier box. I too have a dremel type drill, it’s one of my oldest, yet least used, tools. I’ve never yet needed an etch bender either. A good bench vice and top quality smooth jawed pliers will cover 95% of the bending you will ever need. Don’t fall for the hype.
Good advice on hand tools is buy the best you can afford from the most reliable makers and they will last a lifetime. I have some, like pin vices and my bench vice that have been used a lot for forty years and are still as good as the day they were purchased.
Last thing is if you buy tools for modelling, keep them for modelling. Real world large tasks are usually death to good fine tools.
Lol, as above, too late! I stopped being a plumber about 30 years ago, but still have most of my tools, and they are still in good order and get a bit of use now and again. As an ex tradesman, yep, I know the old saying of buy cheap buy twice!
You know the other old addage....
Ideal number of tools, knives, cars, bikes, fishing rods, etc, etc = n+1
Good advice about the only use model tools for modelling and thats one of the reasons I have so many tools already, cos I've had lots of hobbies, and have separate tools / tools kits, tool bags/boxes for each!!!
Cheers

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
From the Scale Model Shop - see linky:
Pic here:

View attachment 498951
Ah, gotcha! I use a Tamiya turntable, well two, one large like the one you have and another with an adjustable wire system for hold various items.

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Problem with the Dremel was the power cord, I couldn't leave it set up, not enough room, I finally bought this:
View attachment 498939
Rechargeable cordless - fine for light work. It sits on my bench ready for instant use. I think I use it more in a week, than the Dremel in 5 years! Cost? You can pick them up from Amazon for around £10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Engraving-Accessories-Polishing-2-3mm-3-2mm/dp/B0CC2247Q2/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1HAIKURNEHYVM&keywords=rechargeable+rotary+tool&qid=1704282189&sprefix=rechargeable+rotary,aps,370&sr=8-11 All the Dremel bits fit this - most cost effective tool I have!
Dave
ps. My Dremel has retired to Cornwall, to live with my brother
Cheers, but I was talking about a turntable, my bad!
But I do have a couple of dremel type drills though, as well as normal mains drill, and two cordless and a big ole SDS jobbie, probably not suitable for models kits though, Lol.....

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
But I do have a couple of dremel type drills though, as well as normal mains drill, and two cordless and a big ole SDS jobbie, probably not suitable for models kits though, Lol.....
PM me your home address I have a spare you can have, no problem,
Mike.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ah, gotcha! I use a Tamiya turntable, well two, one large like the one you have and another with an adjustable wire system for hold various items.

I looked at this. Did anyone else get an email supposedly from John saying it had been added to my basket? I logged on to the shop yesterday and it wasn't there.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I looked at this. Did anyone else get an email supposedly from John saying it had been added to my basket? I logged on to the shop yesterday and it wasn't there.
I've had that, in fact I had 10 such emails on Xmas eve saying items I'd viewed had been saved to my basket (but they hadn't). I figured it was some kind of bug as it hasn't happened since

IMG_20240105_170048_(600_x_1300_pixel).png

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You missed adult bib for catching those fly away bits!!!
Also collects dribble when having a moment!!
one of PE parts went into hyperspace after pinging off my tweezer at light speed - I’ve no doubt that it’s probably orbiting a distant star somewhere out there

IMG_4011.jpeg

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've had that, in fact I had 10 such emails on Xmas eve saying items I'd viewed had been saved to my basket (but they hadn't). I figured it was some kind of bug as it hasn't happened since

View attachment 499124
I think it’s just a subtle hint to buy more stuff (‘are you sure that’s all you want to buy?’ kind of thing) :smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hate to say this Paul, but you'd get much better illumination from that light if the bulb was facing the desk and was switched on!

As for pinging parts, you seem to be ahead of us! Most of ours fall into the gaping maw of the carpet monster!

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hate to say this Paul, but you'd get much better illumination from that light if the bulb was facing the desk and was switched on!

As for pinging parts, you seem to be ahead of us! Most of ours fall into the gaping maw of the carpet monster!
Guilty! Although the light was facing the desk and I wasn’t at the bench but your consideration is appreciated! Now get ye back to the store and shop some more! (Hint! hint! - Tell Andy to do the same smh) :smiling5:

Bri L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bri