Noob, recommend me some "essential" tools?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The best tool of all is not to compare with what other people do most have been at it a long time and are still learning enjoy what your doing do it for pleasure ,look and learn most things dont go as explained but you will find your way of doing it every body on here will be more than willing to help but there is nothing like finding your own way we can all only try and point you in the right direction. Its chill out pleasure time even when it goes breasts up wich happens to us all but were still here. Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Thanx for all the great suggestions. :hungry:

It seems that I have most of what's been suggested, just didn't include in my original list, eg: as I also have clamps, cotton buds, pegs, masking tape, and I have a desk/chair in my old study. Used to use it when working from home, but now retired, so its not used. Also have couple of task lights and one of those small hand operated mini drills with a selection of small bits.

Not seen a razor saw, will have a look at one of those?
I do have other paints, Vallejo, Humbrol, etc as well as Tamiya, plus a few pigments, paint pens, carbon pencils, etc..
Also treated myself to some small paint mixing bowls and an electric mini paint mixer tool, you only live once, Lol! :thumb2:

I'm lucky that I have a lot of "normal" tools, as I have tinkered /fettled stuff for years, fishing gear, DIY, shooting gear, cycles, motorbikes, cars, etc, so have a full garage of normal tools, but have created my own little modelling tool kit now too.

At the moment I just have a black plastic storage box for it all, but I may invest in one of those purpose made modelling storage units, for paint, brushes, tool, etc.

Once again thanx. I'm sure this is one of those hobbies that will "grow", and cost me more money as I go along.... ;)
John at the Scale Model Shop will be able to cater for most of your tools including the razor saw which you can get in Fine, Medium and Coarse blades..

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
The best tool of all is not to compare with what other people do most have been at it a long time and are still learning enjoy what your doing do it for pleasure ,look and learn most things dont go as explained but you will find your way of doing it every body on here will be more than willing to help but there is nothing like finding your own way we can all only try and point you in the right direction. Its chill out pleasure time even when it goes breasts up wich happens to us all but were still here. Dave
Could not have put it better, and the most sensible advice.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ordered a few bits off the Scale Model Shop already, one of those rotating disc things and a couple of weathering bits....
Already well down the rabbit hole of buying tools, etc.... Lol! :tongue-out2:
Be very careful with that 'rotating disk thing' not only can they cut plastic they can melt it and also launch it across the room at impressive speeds, never to be seen again.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Be very careful with that 'rotating disk thing' not only can they cut plastic they can melt it and also launch it across the room at impressive speeds, never to be seen again.
HI Peter can you put on a pic of this rotatein thing as would like to see ?
chrisb

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Peter,
It looks like you've got all you need already - DON'T rush out & buy things. unless you have a real need for them ( I had a Dremel, that was used a few times, and sat in the toolbox for many years ). Also, it's plastic. or resin you're working with, you don't need professional tools that can work with titanium!
One thing - eye protection - always use when drilling/sanding/cutting with a power tool
Dave

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
They can also cut flesh, if I remember correctly one of our members got attacked by one a few years ago, grabbed him by the thumb...

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Peter,
It looks like you've got all you need already - DON'T rush out & buy things. unless you have a real need for them ( I had a Dremel, that was used a few times, and sat in the toolbox for many years ). Also, it's plastic. or resin you're working with, you don't need professional tools that can work with titanium!
One thing - eye protection - always use when drilling/sanding/cutting with a power tool
Dave
I use a Dremel for drilling but now seriously looking at a pin vice device. The Dremel even at it slowest setting is too fast for both control and possible melting the plastic!!
That said, I will be using it to remove up detail prior to fitting after market parts.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Peter,
Dave
Agree with Dave. There are loads of tools that you think you need…..you buy ‘em, use them once or twice and then put them back in thier box. I too have a dremel type drill, it’s one of my oldest, yet least used, tools. I’ve never yet needed an etch bender either. A good bench vice and top quality smooth jawed pliers will cover 95% of the bending you will ever need. Don’t fall for the hype.
Good advice on hand tools is buy the best you can afford from the most reliable makers and they will last a lifetime. I have some, like pin vices and my bench vice that have been used a lot for forty years and are still as good as the day they were purchased.
Last thing is if you buy tools for modelling, keep them for modelling. Real world large tasks are usually death to good fine tools.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Agree with Dave. There are loads of tools that you think you need…..you buy ‘em, use them once or twice and then put them back in thier box. I too have a dremel type drill, it’s one of my oldest, yet least used, tools. I’ve never yet needed an etch bender either. A good bench vice and top quality smooth jawed pliers will cover 95% of the bending you will ever need. Don’t fall for the hype.
Good advice on hand tools is buy the best you can afford from the most reliable makers and they will last a lifetime. I have some, like pin vices and my bench vice that have been used a lot for forty years and are still as good as the day they were purchased.
Last thing is if you buy tools for modelling, keep them for modelling. Real world large tasks are usually death to good fine tools.
Again, agree with Tim. For etch, after advice on here, I use Stanley blade, a steel 6 inch rule and a decent pair of smooth jawed pliers.
These guys know their stuff! (Especially if your a tight wad like me :thumb2: :smiling2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Again, agree with Tim. For etch, after advice on here, I use Stanley blade, a steel 6 inch rule and a decent pair of smooth jawed pliers.
These guys know their stuff! (Especially if your a tight wad like me :thumb2: :smiling2:
Don’t know about that, I just think it’s because I was using etch long before those bending things were invented :smiling:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Problem with the Dremel was the power cord, I couldn't leave it set up, not enough room, I finally bought this:
DSCF3551.JPG
Rechargeable cordless - fine for light work. It sits on my bench ready for instant use. I think I use it more in a week, than the Dremel in 5 years! Cost? You can pick them up from Amazon for around £10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeab...9&sprefix=rechargeable+rotary,aps,370&sr=8-11 All the Dremel bits fit this - most cost effective tool I have!
Dave
ps. My Dremel has retired to Cornwall, to live with my brother

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Lol, sorry miscommunication here I think. I'm not talking about a dremel type drill (I do have one, maybe two! of those) I'm talking about a small circular rotating turntable, to aid viewing, painting, photographing, etc. Sorry! ;)

Last edited:

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh a turn table. That makes more sense lol

pjgtech

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter,
Dave
Too late, after years of DIY, car/bike modding, cycling, fishing, shooting, RC models, plumbing, tiling, carpentry, gardening, and general shed / garage fettling, I am already a tool hoarder! I've had a few dremell type drills and find them very useful, but yes I agree, probably overkill for plastic model kits. But i do have a nice collection of small files, sanding blocks, knives, etc.... ;)