Not a Moment to Lose… Battle of the Bulge, Ardennes, December 1944

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
PXL_20230613_165041444.jpg

Well, I’m back! Rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated, etc…

Looking back I can see that it was November 21 that I finished my last project:

Coming before that one was this:

Sorry it has been so long. It’s all the usual excuses: work, family, life, etc. I haven’t even been much of a lurker…

But I have not been entirely idle!

When I was in my first modelling phase as a teenager back in the early 80s I had always wanted to build a Battle of the Bulge diorama. I can still recall the rush of excitement when I finally bought this book (published in 1984):

Then and Now Battle of the Bulge book cover.jpg

It was a HUGE inspiration. It also wasn’t cheap! As a comprehensive work of scholarship accompanied by all those maps and photos (many in the classic Then and Now format) I still don’t think it has really been surpassed, although there have been many excellent works published since.

Of course, there has been a lot more written about the history of this particular conflict since then, with the ‘Duel in the Mist’ series of books being a particular highlight.

We are all familiar with many of the images of the Ardennes offensive, such as a King Tiger crowded with Fallschirmjäger, or heavily armed Panzer Grenadiers posing in front of knocked out American vehicles at Poteau. Then there are the cine films showing the advance of Kampfgruppe Peiper into Stavelot.

It is worth noting that most of these come from the German side, taken during the early phase of the campaign. Ironically, many of these images survive today because they were captured by the Americans quite early on during the battle and then used in newsreels.

Then there are many more photographs taken later in the battle, mostly from the Allied perspective, usually showing destroyed German equipment and shattered buildings - often covered in snow (we will come back to that in due course).

Of course, there have also been a lot of dioramas inspired by these events - so many, in fact, that it might be said that the whole idea of depicting a scene from the Battle of the Bulge (a title that itself now seems somewhat dated) in model form has become something of a cliché.

So what to do? Well I am not going to lay claim to trying anything totally new here - but I am going to try and give it a slightly fresh spin. I am also going to avoid tanks, although, as you will already have spotted from the first picture, there is going to be an Sdkfz 250 Neu halftrack and a Schwimmwagen - plus a Jeep.

Officers at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads close up.jpg

Above: SS-Oberscharführer and SS-Unterscharführer of 1. SS-Panzer-Division 'LSSAH', SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 at the Kaiserbaracke crossroads on the road between Saint-Vith and Malmedy, probably 17th/18th December 1944

So the setting here is a moment during the first days of the German offensive - most likely the 17th or 18th December. Unlike my last diorama, this one is not based on any particular event, but a possible scenario. Elements of a German Reconnaissance Unit from 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler have pulled up in front of a farmhouse during the advance through American lines. Despite the breakthrough and the initial euphoria that many of the soldiers may have felt, the commanders already knew that things were not going to plan and progress has been too slow.

The Recce group have arrived in a Schwimmwagen and 250 halftrack and troops dismount. An officer studies his map and checks his watch. Meanwhile, out of sight behind the building, an escaping Jeep has broken down. Realising that the enemy has just arrived, the GIs abandon their vehicle and beat a hasty retreat away from the farm and up the hill. Hearing the noise, some of the German troops move to investigate.

So the title is supposed to reflect the predicament of both sides at a brief moment in time when the Germans seemed to have the advantage and the Allies appeared to be losing - and yet we all know how things were to turn out!

Here are few shots showing my early attempts to work out the composition.

PXL_20230115_121851021.jpg

PXL_20230115_121907844.jpg

Part of the challenge I have faced has been to position the farmhouse so that it screens the abandoned Jeep from the advancing Germans without cutting the whole diorama in half…

Once I had the general idea I laid out the vehicles (or at least their shells) and decided what size and shape the base should be. All my previous dioramas have been rectangular, but I felt it was time to try something a little more daring - so I drew a shape that had curved ends but a straight middle section (a rhomboid rectangle?)

PXL_20230529_101544441.jpg
PXL_20230529_101626518.jpg
PXL_20230529_101639880.jpg

Ignore the stray British infantryman - he's just there for a bit of scale.

On the plus side the choice of shape means that I will have less corners to fill. On the downside, making the edging is going to be a nightmare!

I also started to construct a mock-up of the building. As you can see, this is just a rough cut from cardboard off-cuts held together with masking tape - but this was enough to convince me that the shape and dimensions of the base were more or less correct.

Having worked out the dimensions of the base I then cut out two pieces of card and used double-sided tape to attach these to both sides of a piece of low-density foam (the sort used for ceiling insulation which can be picked up for free from most building sites).

I have used this foam for both my previous projects because it is a) very cheap (i.e. free) and b) very easy to carve. However, it is also very messy. First I used a saw to carve the block into the approximate shape and then sanding blocks to refine it.

PXL_20230613_140317917.jpg
PXL_20230613_140456174.jpg

It is at this point that I find myself getting excited - and nervous. Basically, you have everything you need in front of you, but you also have to get rid of what you don’t!

After an hour or so of sawing, sanding, chiseling (and goodness knows what else) I ended up with this:

PXL_20230613_165041444.jpg
PXL_20230613_165047388.jpg
PXL_20230613_165102729.jpg

There is still a long way to go, but at this point I could see the whole thing beginning to look something like what I had in my mind's eye. You will also notice that the 250, Schwim and Jeep are also starting to take shape.

More to come…

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll grab a seat ( one with conversion into a bed ) Think this could take some time going on the last couple of builds.;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Officers at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads close up.jpg

Above: SS-Oberscharführer and SS-Unterscharführer of 1. SS-Panzer-Division 'LSSAH', SS-Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 1 at the Kaiserbaracke crossroads on the road between Saint-Vith and Malmedy, probably 17th/18th December 1944
I’ve never seen that picture, but that would be the same spot where the photos of Peiper pretending to try to find the way were taken:

Bulge - SS Amphib Jeep.jpgW-Stoumont-1-crop-lead-760x428.jpg

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve never seen that picture, but that would be the same spot where the photos of Peiper pretending to try to find the way were taken:

View attachment 488144View attachment 488145
Thanks Neil.

I will be dealing with more of these images later in my post - but the one above is often mis-identified. It's not Peiper!

In fact, he's the same SS-Unterscharführer on the right in the image of the officers standing in front of the 250 halftrack. These guys were from either Kampfgruppe Hansen or Knittel who were following up behind Peiper.

I'll grab a seat ( one with conversion into a bed ) Think this could take some time going on the last couple of builds.;)

Thanks John. Yep, it's going to be longer than Oppenheimer!

Great to see you back Tim, I love your epic builds. This is looking exciting already.
I'm sitting next to JR right up front.

Thanks Neil. This is going to be a diorama of the old school...

Lurking with interest
Steve
Thanks. Hopefully it will go to plan.

Welcome back Tim. This'll be good.
Pete
Thanks. Glad to be back!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome back Tim, will drag up a seat once I get the Belvedere out of the way. Not touching another dio after the last jungle escapade. The plan looks good.
As it is you've done Mediterranean and jungle and now snow.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the one above is often mis-identified. It's not Peiper!

In fact, he's the same SS-Unterscharführer on the right in the image of the officers standing in front of the 250 halftrack.
I thought as much, but that didn’t fit with the common identification of the officer in the Schwimmwagen, as I’ve never seen him captioned as anything but Peiper. Of course, everyone who looks into historical things will know how mistakes propagate …

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good information.......looking forward to seeing this come together.....this particular battle is my main area of interest when it comes to modeling. ;)

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always enjoy your blogs.

Thanks. Hopefully this one won't disappoint!

This looks like a very interesting project to follow. Hammock, hot tea and ice creams ready at hand.

Hammock may be esssential given my usual pace...

Welcome back Tim, will drag up a seat once I get the Belvedere out of the way. Not touching another dio after the last jungle escapade. The plan looks good.
As it is you've done Mediterranean and jungle and now snow.

Cheers,
Wabble

Yep, far less greenery here. However, sadly there was no snow on the ground during the first few days of the campaign!

Good information.......looking forward to seeing this come together.....this particular battle is my main area of interest when it comes to modeling. ;)

Great. Feel free to point out any mistakes!

TIM FORSTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Either Obersturmführer Leidreiter or Goltz.jpg

A bit more historical context before I get on with the build.

All of the above contemporary images come from cine film and stills taken by the Germans around the Kaiserbarracke crossroads. The footage was later captured by the Allies and still images have appeared in many books and all over the internet ever since.

The complete film sequence can be found here:

The date quoted for the footage is 18th December 1944. This appears correct because the crossroads were captured at around 5pm on the 17th (by which time it would have been dark) and the well known 'Ambush at Poteau' (after which more famous images were taken, including that iconic shot of a smoking Panzergrenadier) actually occurred at around 7am on the 18th December.

Poteau was only a few miles West of the crossroads and various sources say that this engagement (in which several US vehicles were left abandoned and burning on the road) involved Kampfgruppe Hansen, one of three other Kampfgruppes (along with Knittel and Sandig) that were following in the wake of the spearhead of Kampfgruppe Peiper.

So it looks as if the some of the vehicles shown in the footage (all those travelling from right to left past the signpost and tree) were heading in roughly the same direction - but presumably after that battle was already over.

Having watched this many times and taken some screen shots I have found many interesting details which I will be incorporating into this diorama. However, my scene will be showing a moment in the advance which followed.

Taking timings from the clip above:

00:45 - we see the well-known signpost to Malmendy and St Vith. Note that the upper sign is crooked and the US Ordnance Depot sign is still there at the top.

01:02 - after several 251 halftracks (all heavily camouflaged with conifer branches) roar past, the camera pans left and you can just see a Schwimm parked facing the camera on the left. I suspect this belonged to the SS photographers.

01:03 - this clip shows a Schimm parked in front of the sign (still crooked) whilst an Obersturmführer studies his map. Note that he is wearing a grey M43 field cap, camo smock and leather gloves. His rather young looking driver appears to wear a greatcoat and sidecap (and gloves). What I find interesting is the fact that they are not dressed for immediate combat (no helmets for instance), although the officer is wearing full webbing.

The officer has been identified in various sources as either Obersturmführer Leidreiter, commander of the 3. Kompanie, or Obersturmführer Goltz, commander of the staff company of the reconnaissance battalion. I believe that both were part of Kampfgruppe Knittel, so perhaps it matters not. Obersturmführer, by the way, is the rank equivalent to a 1st Lieutenant (US) or Lieutenant (UK).

01:14 - as they drive off you can just see a Panzerfaust secured in the rifle rack on the left side of the vehicle. The Schwimm is also covered in conifer branches.

Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 3.jpg

01:17 - one of the cameramen then straightens the sign with a rifle and discards the US one at the top. From now on the sign remains in this state. As he does so a heavily camouflaged 250 halftrack passes by.

01:35 - a Stoewer 1500a then passes towing a 12cm heavy mortar, turning left (to our right) - presumably in the direction of St Vith (which lay to the South). In the background we can see two 250 halftracks.

250s and Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads.jpg

01:43 - at this point we can see another Schwimm coming along the road. If we look closely we can see that this is the one which we have all seen many times, with a driver wearing a flying helmet. Note that there is also a panzerfaust in the rifle rack, just like the last one!

250 and Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 2 close up.jpg

The next sequence shows Tiger 222 trundling past with a load of Fallschirmjäger aboard. This is probably where some of the confusion has arisen as to which Kampfgruppe is being shown here, because that Tiger was part of Kampfgruppe Peiper and ultimately ended up being knocked out near the bridge in Stavelot on the 19th December. However, when it was spotted pasing through the Kaiserbaracke crossroads it was simply in the process of catching up!

For my purposes, however, I am far more interested in what is going on in the background...

01:53 - just after the Tiger passes we can see a 250 parked on the other side of the road. This is seen again in the sequence showing two officers walking past at (02:02) with a beaming soldier wearing a field cap and greatcoat.

250 and officers at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads.jpg

Draped in conifer leaves, this is going to be the basis for the 250 in my diorama, along with a composite of the Schwimmwagens seen at the same time.

02:04 - the sequence that follows shows the well-known Schwimm with the cigar-chomping officer and driver wearing a flying helmet.

Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 5.jpg
Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 7.jpg
Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 10.jpg
Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 11.jpg
Schwim at Kaiserbaracke Crossroads 6.jpg

Of note are the fact that this vehicle has already 'been through the wars' (it has a broken windscreen for a start) and is covered with mud (as are the crew). Also, like the officer we saw earlier, this one (an Unterscharführer or Sergeant who has never been identified as far as I know) is wearing a camo smock and webbing - but no helmet.

There is also no MG mounted either fore or aft and no visible camo paint and it seems to have been common practice for these vehicles to have a two-man crew.

Also (and this is important) there is no sign of any snow at this point. The terrain is muddy, but not water-logged. It appears to be 'chilly' rather than freezing.

Many of these details (and more) are thus going to form the basis for my LSSAH recce group plunging into enemy-held territory!

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Tim,
You're right about not snowing in the early part of the campaign so it'll be muddy and cold then. When did the snow start falling? They always get it wrong in movies.

Cheers,
Wabble

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A very interesting project Tim. You've clearly done plenty of research. It may not have snow but everything is filthy dirty with mud!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Tim,
You're right about not snowing in the early part of the campaign so it'll be muddy and cold then. When did the snow start falling? They always get it wrong in movies.

Cheers,
Wabble
There is some patchy snow on the ground in places.......3:19 into the video shows a building on the other side of the road and beyond it you can see the results of a previous snowfall, also in the foreground on the camera side of the road is also snow covered.
Should make for a very contrasty and interesting bit of weather conditions for the dio. :thumb2: