Revell Bismark. Any tips?

First Name
Frank
Hi there. I'm new here.
One of Boris's so called vulnerable age group. Very active with models when young then drifted away, as you do.

Anyway, I've recently read a couple of books about the chase for, and hunt to find, Bismarck so reverted to my youth and bought the Airfix kit.

A big disappointment. Very poor quality right from the off, when hull needed massive amounts of filler just to make it look like one piece. Some parts were almost impossible to fit together, and I gave up trying to get propellers to either have three blades or to fit on the shafts.

Wifey decided to play with Google/Amazon and turned up a Black Friday deal on the Revell 1:350 model of the ship.

Initial impressions are positive. The whole kit just seems more sorted than Airfix.

So, a question if I may.....are there any special hints or tips that might come in useful? Any pitfalls to avoid?

I'm reasonably practical with hands and tools so no fears there. Paint will all be done with brush and I hope it doesn't finish up looking how Bob Ballard found it!

I presume some of you must have done this so can I pick your brains, please?

Last edited:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
First of all welcome.
I have built two versions of this kit and had no problems although I the area around the propshafts needs some filler but I would suggest a rattle can on the Hull as it's a large area to paint by brush I found that Halford primer is good colour other than that you are welcome to have a look at my threads for both builds.
To be found on page 5 and 8 of ships under construction.

First Name
Frank
Thank you. Good to know problems are few.
I'll have a look at your threads before I start my build.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Frank an a welcome from me also an i have built bismark also but many yrs ago but i had no probs on it but on any build of a plastic model or like my hms tiger build peter above says use halfords paint an his chiose but i think humbroll rattle cans allways give a nice finish an they are meant for plastic models just my opinion but just try your best an enjoy the build thats what this forum is all about
ATB
chris

Last edited:
First Name
Frank
Thank you too.
The initial idea is to make this a winter afternoon project. I'm prepared for a longish haul in order to get it right.

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Again frank here is a shot of my big 1/72 scale radar in P/E in you got to be very carefull how you handel it but looks very good
chris IMG_5418.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN what it looked like when built much better than a plastic one an it fits on my 1/72 hms tiger main mast
chrisIMG_6109.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BUT Frank as you are just comein back into modeling if it was me id get a bit more exsperience before you buy this P/E as Peter says it can be exspensive an quite fiddley to build but the results are really worth it as my radar came from makers called cammet but im not tryin to put you off the P/E just sayin walk before you run as we all went an go through this period
have fun moddeling
chris

First Name
Frank
Agreed. I've no idea how this will progress so don't really want to jump in at the deep end.
Maybe if I become hooked again....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Agreed. I've no idea how this will progress so don't really want to jump in at the deep end.
Maybe if I become hooked again....
WELL Frank if you want to pass these ole winter afternoons this modeling lark is very satisfying an when you have made a model you will get a sence of achivement an think well that came from my very own hands an you will be happy in my opinion there is nothing like it to feel good
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome Frank.
I built the Airfix 1/600 Bismark you mentioned. A pig for sure!

The build for this is on page 2 in 'Ships under construction' All brush painted and might be of some help to you. The finished model is in, believe it or not, 'Ships completed'!

No offence to Peter and Chris, but a brush will produce an equally good finish on large areas of plastic. Just use a wide flat headed brush and apply two or three light coats of thinned paint.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Frank,
the Bismarck in 1/350 is a big hunk of plastic for a 'first' build - may I suggest you dip your toes in the water with something a little smaller? Maybe a 1/700 waterline model? Revell & Aoshima both do the Bismarck at this scale, or there are any number of other ships - HMS Rodney, if you want a Bismarck connection! You can pick then up on ebay for reasonable prices ( c.£15 ).
Dave

First Name
Frank
Frank,
the Bismarck in 1/350 is a big hunk of plastic for a 'first' build - may I suggest you dip your toes in the water with something a little smaller? Maybe a 1/700 waterline model? Revell & Aoshima both do the Bismarck at this scale, or there are any number of other ships - HMS Rodney, if you want a Bismarck connection! You can pick then up on ebay for reasonable prices ( c.£15 ).
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for your advice, but...as I mentioned I have already had a go at a smaller version. A £15 Airfix model. I must agree with the above comment:-
Welcome Frank.
I built the Airfix 1/600 Bismark you mentioned. A pig for sure!
Cheers.
Ron

Whilst I finished it without too many real problems the small size and arguably poor quality of the kit pieces left me feeling underwhelmed. Granted it looks fine from a yard (or should that be a metre?) away, but a with a close inspection I can see the imperfections. In my youth, my bedroom was full of these things so I'm not a total newbie., and I do have a bit of OCD and like things to be right.

My main hobby/recreation/pastime is cycling - I've just done 55 miles this morning - but winter and a possible lockdown is upon us so I will have plenty of spare time, and wifey gets upset when I'm bored because I get under her feet. I'm sure you know the feeling!!!

This might not work, but I think it will. It might be the first of many, or it may just be a one off to scratch an itch.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Dave,
Thanks for your advice, but...as I mentioned I have already had a go at a smaller version. A £15 Airfix model. I must agree with the above comment:-

Whilst I finished it without too many real problems the small size and arguably poor quality of the kit pieces left me feeling underwhelmed. Granted it looks fine from a yard (or should that be a metre?) away, but a with a close inspection I can see the imperfections. In my youth, my bedroom was full of these things so I'm not a total newbie., and I do have a bit of OCD and like things to be right.

My main hobby/recreation/pastime is cycling - I've just done 55 miles this morning - but winter and a possible lockdown is upon us so I will have plenty of spare time, and wifey gets upset when I'm bored because I get under her feet. I'm sure you know the feeling!!!

This might not work, but I think it will. It might be the first of many, or it may just be a one off to scratch an itch.
WELL one things for sure Frank if you dont do something then you will for sure get under your wife feet so in my opinion build a 1/350 th bismark an the parts will be big enough to see an more detailed an when you look closely at it all that detail will stand out which in a small ship it wont as you have said an you said that you want a fair long build so that in my opinion is all or most of you answers
chris