Revell Bismark. Any tips?

First Name
Frank
GOOD FOR you Frank nothing like getting stuck in an nice work by the way very clean model just needs a little filler near the prop shafts well done i'll be following your build every day as im on here a lot
chris
Don't build your hopes up too much.
This may all end in tears and I will toddle off into the sunset and never be seen again!!!

First Name
Frank
Well I've not been on the bike today so filled my time here.
Hull sanded, prop shafts fitted and first coat of paint on hull, base and deck.
Prop shafts still turn too!
20211122_153515.jpg
I'm going to have some fun with masking tape when I want to paint all those deck hatches
Aircraft under construction
20211122_153540.jpg
Four main gun turrets completed and guns still move
20211122_152540.jpg

I never knew glue sniffing could be such fun

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Frank
Looks a nice kit. Quite a biggie as well. You're off to a good start - neat and tidy. Sometimes masking fluid is better than masking tape. May be useful for some of the smaller details.
Main thing is you're having fun.
Jim

First Name
Frank
Hi Frank
Looks a nice kit. Quite a biggie as well. You're off to a good start - neat and tidy. Sometimes masking fluid is better than masking tape. May be useful for some of the smaller details.
Main thing is you're having fun.
Jim
Masking fluid?
Tell me more. I'm well out of touch with modern techniques and gear.
Sounds as though it might be better then cutting endless small strips of paper.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Frank

Welcome aboard, like you new to ships, i usually make armour. Will watch with interest, will try to help were are can

There are some excellent ship builders on site!

First Name
Frank
Just the two hours masking the deck today. But it's done and one coat applied. Waterline on hull too.
Lots of fiddly construction. Glue everywhere except where it will do most good.
20211123_162843.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Frank
All looks good. Great job of the masking.
THIS is masking fluid. It is like a rubbery paint. You paint or apply with a cocktail stick onto the area you don't want the paint to go on. It dries quickly to a thin rubbery film. When the paint is dry you can just rub it off and hey-presto (hopefully) you have an unpainted area. Very useful for small details and can be used with masking tape - tape up the main area and the masking fluid can be used to fill in corners etc.
Jim

First Name
Frank
Hi Frank
All looks good. Great job of the masking.
THIS is masking fluid. It is like a rubbery paint. You paint or apply with a cocktail stick onto the area you don't want the paint to go on. It dries quickly to a thin rubbery film. When the paint is dry you can just rub it off and hey-presto (hopefully) you have an unpainted area. Very useful for small details and can be used with masking tape - tape up the main area and the masking fluid can be used to fill in corners etc.
Jim
Thanks.
I googled masking fluid, but the comments were somewhat less than flattering. From what I read getting it off without damaging the existing paint could be problematical, so I just bit the bullet and started cutting thin strips of tape.
Seems like there are a couple more section of deck still to do so this has been good practice.

First Name
Frank
Hull is now complete and has been put in a safe place to protect the propellers.
20211125_185412.jpg
I'm building up a box of bits that are getting ready for painting.
20211125_185457.jpg
I thought about painting them on the racks but decided I'd have to go over them again once glued so took the easy option. Colour scheme probably won't exactly follow the suggestions in the box: but who knows exactly what colours were where?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
COR Frank she's looking good now an menacing with swiasticas carry on im following
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It's slow work, Chris. But then you know that.
YES you are right Frank but there is a bit more to my model isnt there as ive been at it now for nr 3yrs but you are doin great on your bismark i tell you id love to have built a bismark in 1/72 scale what a model that would be wow
chris

First Name
Frank
YES you are right Frank but there is a bit more to my model isnt there as ive been at it now for nr 3yrs but you are doin great on your bismark i tell you id love to have built a bismark in 1/72 scale what a model that would be wow
chris
I did see another model, maybe 1/72 - my memory fails me - that I half jokingly pointed out to SMBO. It was over 4 feet long with a price tag of some £500.
I couldn't do that justice, and I wouldn't know where to build or store it.
This will do me.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I did see another model, maybe 1/72 - my memory fails me - that I half jokingly pointed out to SMBO. It was over 4 feet long with a price tag of some £500.
I couldn't do that justice, and I wouldn't know where to build or store it.
This will do me.
WELL Frank you just keep plodding along on the bismark you have as you are doin a good job an im enjoying whatching it come togeather like Bobthestug is doin he's now started the KGV battle ship an will do a good job like you will im sure
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Frank!

Keep up the great work and a belated welcome to the forum.

Andrew

First Name
Frank
I'm beginning to think the instructions in these kits have been written by Frank Hornby.
It is widely rumoured that he deliberately gave incorrect instructions on the original Mecanno kits to make us think a bit about what we are doing.

I'm at that stage now

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I'm beginning to think the instructions in these kits have been written by Frank Hornby.
It is widely rumoured that he deliberately gave incorrect instructions on the original Mecanno kits to make us think a bit about what we are doing.

I'm at that stage now
You wait until you try a kit by a dragon then…..like Frank on steroids they are ;)