Revell Bismark. Any tips?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
No complaints from me!!!

First Name
Frank
Thanks guys.
The main problem is with the painting. Getting straight lines on adjacent colours on very small pieces is beyond me. Need much better brushes and a much steadier hand.
I've just reached the front capstans. Approx 1/4 inch high and instructions are to paint them in stripes of alternating colours.
I've done them all in black!!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Were the purists present, when the Bismarck was around? I think not! If you're happy with it, then it's right!!
NEVER be put off by any so-called expert - they're depending on old memories, old b & w photos, and documentation that is correct, depending on your point of view!! ( and who it was written by!! )
Dave

First Name
Frank
Given up on the roofer today. I presume he's busy.
This is a capstan. If you look very closely you can see vertical ridges. 12 in all round the circumference. They have to be painted in stripes - red/black or black/ green depending on port or starboard. I can't do that. Even with a magnifying glass I can't paint to that fine detail.
20211129_165348.jpg
(I prefer painting ceilings with a roller!!!)

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL lets be Frank about this if you Frank are enjoyin the build then carry on as on my tiger build i havnt got every thing right just do what you can an dont worry about any purists as i dont think there are any on here same as rivet counters we on here are just happy to see you enjoyin your build like we are enjoyin lookin at it so carry on my good chap as this is a meant to be an enjoyable hobby where all the worryies of the world just dissapear an you are in your own world modeling cant put it any simpler
ATB Frank an keep the build goin
chris

First Name
Frank
WELL lets be Frank about this if you Frank are enjoyin the build then carry on as on my tiger build i havnt got every thing right just do what you can an dont worry about any purists as i dont think there are any on here same as rivet counters we on here are just happy to see you enjoyin your build like we are enjoyin lookin at it so carry on my good chap as this is a meant to be an enjoyable hobby where all the worryies of the world just dissapear an you are in your own world modeling cant put it any simpler
ATB Frank an keep the build goin
chris
Thanks Chris.
Purely out of academic interest I have re-read Mullenheim-Rechberg on the subject of painting the boat. As you may know he was the most senior survivor and as Lindeman's adjutant should have some idea of what went on.
Apparently there were two forms of camouflage in use. The first was used during proving trials in the Baltic; this was subtly changed for the North Sea breakout. Unfortunately the pictures taken, especially during the breakout, are far from clear. The idea was to make observers think that this was a smaller ship than the (Illegal?) 55,000 tons of reality. There was a false bow & bow wave and a false stern painted on the sides along with shape obscuring lines on the superstructure. This pays some tribute to the British efforts in WW1 which were not wholly successful.
(As an aside one of the Mersey ferries is now painted in a modern version of this camouflage desinged by the Sgt Pepper album cover designer. And no it doesn't work!)
Be that as it may, M-R is adamant that all camouflage was painted out in the Bergen fjord, though he doesn't say with what. Ludovic Kennedy who was also in the action, and has written arguably the best British book of the chase, also refers to the painting. I assume his source was M-R with whom he seems to have had a close bond.
To contradict this Bob Ballard's photos of the wreck clearly show the swastikas on bow and stern. It is possible that one hasty coat of paint has washed off with tides and currents on the sea bed.
They may have been painted out or not, but the Swordfish from Ark Royal, on their first sortie, attacked HMS Sheffield a two funnel ship which they somehow mistook for Bismarck - a one funnel ship!

All in all nobody knows what paint scheme was on the ship when she went down. It is highly probable that the repainting in Bergen was somewhat hasty and anything that came to hand was used.

At the end of the day I don't really care that much. The painting is more or less finished, the construction might be finished today or tomorrow while waiting for our roofer. I am not looking for prizes or praise; this has been a bit of fun. Now that we are back in effective lockdown I may try another although SWMBO might have a different opinion on that!!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning

I am reading the huge book on the Bismarck, 600 pages, the research and detail is superb. The baltic stripes were painted over with grey paint, same colour as the hull, the swastikas covered with canvas but the bow waves left. They are still visable on the wreck, you can see the exit hole in the false wave where the shell went through the ship damaging a fuel bunker

If you look on sovereign hobbies site, they have the colour scheme..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This one not cheap but worth it! Took over 50 yrs of research, they spoke to many of the survivors on both sides. Very detailed and heavy, felt sorry for my postie lol. You can see my bookmark, at the stage where Bismarck is headed for the Denmark strait
20211201_171810.jpg20211201_172045.jpg
Above you can clearly see the false wave.

Hope this helps??

First Name
Frank
Thanks. That book is far more recent than any of mine. Presumably with better info after more research.
Previews available seem to have more up to date images. Maybe someone else has found it.
I see what you mean about the price. Wow!
£10 as a Kindle or £55 as hard back. I'll have to think on that one.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks. That book is far more recent than any of mine. Presumably with better info after more research.
Previews available seem to have more up to date images. Maybe someone else has found it.
I see what you mean about the price. Wow!
£10 as a Kindle or £55 as hard back. I'll have to think on that one.
No problem

I have most Bismarck books but this is in another league. Learning so much about not just Bismarck but the whole operation and only 100 odd pages in, about 500 to go!

First Name
Frank
Well it is done. As good as it will ever be. Won't win any prizes.
I gave over with the transfers. 1/4 inch strips of black to go on a dark background tested my dexterity to its limits. Can't do it and never could!
Now to find somewhere to store it out of reach of the all seeing eye that can spot a speck of dust from 2 miles away.
20211202_133602.jpg
20211202_135141.jpg
Thanks for the conversation and comments guys.
What will I do next?

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well it is done. As good as it will ever be. Won't win any prizes.
I gave over with the transfers. 1/4 inch strips of black to go on a dark background tested my dexterity to its limits. Can't do it and never could!
Now to find somewhere to store it out of reach of the all seeing eye that can spot a speck of dust from 2 miles away.
View attachment 439721
View attachment 439722
Thanks for the conversation and comments guys.
What will I do next?
WELL Frank i think it looks very sinister an meanacing just like the real bismark with the swaticas on but its realy set the ship off an i would be proud to have it on my mantel pisce very well built an yes it think its a prize winner just like ow m8ty BOBTHESTUG as he is now building to this standard an me bein a ship bulder it really up my street an love models like this an i enjoyed your build well done
chris ps next look for a very weid ship german it is an aircraft carrier called the graf zepplin as the real ship only got built but never left the dock yard an ive never seen a model of this built as on my other forum a german chappie is building a 10ft R/C model of it but you may be able to get it in a plastic 1/350th kit now that would be something different
chris