Rick’s 1/48 Airfix Sea King HAS5

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
More bits added and the problem of the nick on the RH engine exhaust cowl. I gently eased the part away enough to get a half round file in to smooth it out.

IMG_2101.jpeg

The engine bay fire wall area has all been added. Maybe this area could be super detailed with scratch or AM resin engines in future.

IMG_2105.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

The dog kennel roof is a nice fit but needs a bit of technique to insert into position. I should have taken pictures to demonstrate this but forgot. Basically, the roof part is inserted at an angle with the round section in the lead until it is in the dog kennel (the slang name for the main rotor gear box fairing). It’s then tilted so that the round section fits into the inside and the top curved roof drops into the aft part.
IMG_2104.jpeg

The keel is a good fit and clips into position. I had a little gap to squeeze together. The paint you can see was a trial to see what shade would look right.
IMG_2103.jpegIMG_2102.jpeg

And some additions to the tail with the tail rotor driveshaft tunnel fairings and radome base. One of the tunnel covers needs the GPS fairing filed off - PITA.
IMG_2099.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
More lumps, bumps and panels added. The engine cowls and panel over the exhausts (which in real life also cover the rotor brake and blade fold positioner disc) don’t quite align neatly, however in real life these panels are all over the place.
The radome doesn’t have any guidance on the correct installation, there are several mouldings to represent the fasteners but no clue as to which way they should point. This is really annoying given that Airfix added a tiny arrow to the refuelling point blank.
I’ll leave off the engine intakes for ease of painting and add them after the boring grey.

IMG_2119.jpegIMG_2115.jpegIMG_2120.jpegIMG_2118.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As I continue to add the glazing and smaller parts to this I picked up on something unique to scheme B in this kit. The rescue winch is not fitted on this version which means the holes in the fuselage for the winch frame needs to be filled.
IMG_2116.jpeg

It’s no big deal but the instructions aren’t clear about it. Because the winch is not fitted the hydraulic and electrical connections will need to be replicated. I did this on a 1/72 HC4 I built last year.
Another detail Airfix have almost missed is the crewman’s grab rail above the main door. I say almost because it’s included in the kit, just not referenced in the instructions.
Masking for the clear parts is complete(ish). The main canopy needs a green tint on the two upper quarters. To do this I masked the inside of the glazing that needs to remain transparent and sprayed Tamiya clear green. This may take a couple of coats until the correct opacity is achieved so I have left two small areas on the outside of the green windows unmasked. When I am happy these areas will be filled in with tape then they can be fitted to the model.
IMG_2128.jpeg

Wipers and screen wash nozzles are unmasked.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thats strange Rick. ALL the SK's I flew in were winch fitted!! It was SOP that we were all SAR capable. Most ASW sorties were 'nearly' always multi aircraft so we conducted mutual SAR for each other.
It seems strange no winch specified!
Also, no grab rail on ASW cabs.
Pic of all 819's Mk2's and 1 x Mk 5, (first in stack).
819-1 first mk6.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
According to Airfix they based this scheme of XV666 on a photo of it without the winch but with a yellow blade - which I find odd. However, I’m also scratching my head as to why the grab rail would removed regardless of role or with/without a winch. But then again my experience of these cabs is limited to a narrow period and number of airframes.
If only Airfix shared their photo reference.
Regardless of the scheme I am doing the instructions make no reference to the grab rail. I feel an email to Airfix coming on.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
According to Airfix they based this scheme of XV666 on a photo of it without the winch but with a yellow blade - which I find odd. However, I’m also scratching my head as to why the grab rail would removed regardless of role or with/without a winch. But then again my experience of these cabs is limited to a narrow period and number of airframes.
If only Airfix shared their photo reference.
Regardless of the scheme I am doing the instructions make no reference to the grab rail. I feel an email to Airfix coming on.
Even more mysterious if they are using 'Damian' as a model for the model!! (Oh that's bad). As Damian was a 771 NAS aircraft which was dedicated SAR operating out of Culdrose and Prestwick. The only time I could envisage removing the hoist would be handing over to HeliOps!
I flew in Kings from 81 through to 91, covering as I mentioned all the ASW Mk's. Everyone had a hoist fitted.
(There was an occasion when we were to take a training (706 Mk2) flight and the hoist had been removed for servicing. As it was a Go- No Go item the sortie was delayed until the hoist was refitted).

I guess it was who Airfix liaised with on the day of the modelling parameters. You'd think though they would check their facts before something like this went global.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Even more mysterious if they are using 'Damian' as a model for the model!! (Oh that's bad). As Damian was a 771 NAS aircraft which was dedicated SAR operating out of Culdrose and Prestwick. The only time I could envisage removing the hoist would be handing over to HeliOps!
I flew in Kings from 81 through to 91, covering as I mentioned all the ASW Mk's. Everyone had a hoist fitted.
(There was an occasion when we were to take a training (706 Mk2) flight and the hoist had been removed for servicing. As it was a Go- No Go item the sortie was delayed until the hoist was refitted).

I guess it was who Airfix liaised with on the day of the modelling parameters. You'd think though they would check their facts before something like this went global.
I’m contemplating fitting it now. And painting the yellow SAR blade. Which reminds me, the Airfix paint guide shows this blade painted yellow on both sides for some of the schemes - I have never seen that in real life.
As scheme B is dated 1988 the Heli Ops theory doesn’t fit. The only thing I can think of is a ferry or test flight following heavy maintenance until a serviceable winch was produced by the winch bay or robbed to service another cab. The Airfix reference photo would be helpful, it would reveal if the cab was in flight or was parked.
Maybe I’ll have to make a decision based on an educated guess using your experience and my rigger’s logic.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I went though a pile of piccy albums last night and not one image of a King without a rescue hoist fitted!!
Maybe Airfix reference pics were of XV666 as you say just out of an overhaul at say Fleetlands.
I’ll check my bible of FAA helicopters and see if there are any clues about Damian’s history!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Reading 'Damian's', (XV666), history, it appears it was attached to HMS Tiger, 826 NAS, (@boatman), for a while, 1972 - 1974.

Will post the full history when the pics of its history sync with my Mac.

In short, transport in 87 from Portsmouth to Culdrose by road.
May 88, it was at Portland for respray.
July 88 NASU Culdrose.
Then transferred to 771 NAS with C/S. 823.
In 1991 it was transferred to AMG Culdrose. (Aircraft Maintenance Group) from memory, that usually meant heavy maintenance.

Lots more info but that's the gist of the 1988 period! Apparently, it wasn't nicknamed Damian until 1989!!!!

Extract from FAA Helicopters since 1943 by Lee Howard, Mick Barrow, Eric Myall
IMG_1012.JPG
Bottom 3 lines refer to XV667
IMG_1013.JPG

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I found this photo online - https://www.helis.com/database/cn/14721/ - no winch fitted. This looks like it might be the photo Airfix have mentioned as the aircraft code and sqn crest match. It is also recorded as being at RNAS Portland. Maybe the winch was removed for the duration of the visit to Portland.

What's the wiring harness for along the side? It isn't SACRU.

Inkedseaking_xv666.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Apparently, it wasn't nicknamed Damian until 1989!!!!
Funnily enough, Nimrod R1 XW666 was also nicknamed "Damian". My claim to fame is performing the bay maintenance and stripdown of the chemical toilet while it was undergoing major maintenance. For those interested in such things, the toilet fitted to the R1 sneaky beaky Nimrod was bigger than those fitted to the MR2 maritime Nimrods. Draw your own conclusions as to why that might be!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I found this photo online - https://www.helis.com/database/cn/14721/ - no winch fitted. This looks like it might be the photo Airfix have mentioned as the aircraft code and sqn crest match. It is also recorded as being at RNAS Portland. Maybe the winch was removed for the duration of the visit to Portland.

What's the wiring harness for along the side? It isn't SACRU.

View attachment 491697
Not 100% on this but it is SACRU related I believe. It's in the right place for the pilots foot jettison. We used to have a metal can we placed over it when not in flight mode! (Nick named the 'bean tin' because of its size). Don't know if your Mk3's had similar?
In this link, 819 crash, the 'bean tin' wasn't removed and the crew subsequently paid for it. 1 dead and 3 seriously injured. The aircrewman was the chap who was my replacement a month before!! Believe it or not, there is a 12 foot high 'chacon' (storage container), under the wreckage!

If the image was at Portland it would have been removed for the respray it had about 1988.
I also see it has a step and rail above the rear cabin door. Never seen one on any of 819's or 706 training squadron at CU.

Edited bit.
Thinking about the rail and step, if at that time 'Damian' was destined for 771 then the step would have been fitted to be able to despatch the SARD. (SAR Diver). He needs the step to ensure his bottles don't hit the aircraft once he jumps!! The rail would enable the crewman to lean further to observe the diver entering the water. (There is no requirement for a SARD to surface to indicate he is OK!!) they're in the water and gone, followed by a Smoke and Flame Float which burns for about an hour and acts as a datum for his recovery!!)

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No bean tin on HAR3's that I recall. There was a crew man operated manual release handle in the cabin along with the pilots release control on the cyclic. According to my course notes it looks like the manual control was modified by the time HAR3's were built.

So, after all that, no winch to fit. Still not sure about the yellow blade though. There may be a hint of yellow reflected on the underside of No 2 & 3 blade but it is far from conclusive that this cab had a yellow blade fitted at the time of the photo. No yellow blade either.
The step is in the instructions.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
When I started this build I wanted to keep it as out of the box as much as possible. Obviously the lack of seatbelts is a simple addition but there are one or two other things I want to correct/improve on.
The lack of a rotor brake handle at the pilots overhead console has been addressed. I cut a sliver of plasticard in roughly the right shape (the real thing has a slight bend) and added the round nob end (no tittering from the back) with a blob of dissolved sprue. All painted and ready for glueing to the panel.
IMG_2141.jpeg
With the omission of the rescue hoist some detail needs to be added to replicate the mounts and connectors for the hoist. Using plastic rod sliced thinly for the connectors these are glued to the fuselage red for connectors and blue for mounts cut from thin plasticard.
EDIT: after taking a second look at the hoist attachment points I realised that the recess in the dog kennel shouldn’t be filled if leaving the hoist off.
IMG_2140.jpeg

Other achievements today are fitting the case drains on the hull and maskol in the compression strut recesses. I do this so I have bare plastic for the two parts to glue together instead of paint.
IMG_2138.jpeg

Last edited:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Another correction to the kit are the pair of door restraining stanchions for the lower personnel door. Cables are attached to the door frame and run over the tops of the stanchions and attach to the door to restrain it in position. Curiously, Airfix included them in the 1/72 kit but not here.
When time comes to fit the upper door a piece of plastic rod will be made for the hold open strut.
IMG_2142.jpegIMG_2144.jpeg