Rick’s 1/48 Airfix Sea King HAS5

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great lessons here for those of us that want to build a Sea King in the future, fingers are itching but must control the urge untill current list of builds is complete.
Mike.
Thanks. It’s encouraging to know people are interested in my progress and hopefully will find something useful.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Great lessons here for those of us that want to build a Sea King in the future, fingers are itching but must control the urge untill current list of builds is complete.
Mike.
I’ve now dropped enough hints to SWMBO, No’s 1 & 2 sons. So if it isn’t under the tree at Chrimbo, some people ain’t going to be having stuffing with their turkey!!!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Glad you managed to scratch a rotor brake lever. Is your King going to be spread or folded?
You probably did say, but I’m in ‘senior’ mode today and very forgetful!!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have a mystery to figure out, what is this round fitting under the lower personnel door? I don’t recall seeing this on the HAR3’s I worked on and all references I can find suggest it was plated over on later marks of Sea King.
Not a big deal but there is no reference in the instructions and I’ll be posing the door open so it will be hidden.
As you can see, the glazing is attached and the closed option for the forward door is being used as a mask.
IMG_2161.jpeg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I have a mystery to figure out, what is this round fitting under the lower personnel door? I don’t recall seeing this on the HAR3’s I worked on and all references I can find suggest it was plated over on later marks of Sea King.
Not a big deal but there is no reference in the instructions and I’ll be posing the door open so it will be hidden.
As you can see, the glazing is attached and the closed option for the forward door is being used as a mask.
View attachment 492219
Can’t help you I’m afraid Rick.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Is it an earthing/grounding point?
Pete
No. The earth point is a brass stud and wing nut in the hull if I recall correctly. My thoughts are it is a vent for the avionics equipment compartment under the cockpit or a blow off relief valve for fuel over fill. It seems only applicable to early Sea Kings.
I’ve looked at HAR3’s, HC4’s and Mk43’s which all have a blanking plate riveted over this area.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I looked at my pics of RN Sea Kings and it appears some do and some don’t as you say. The avionics theory would be my guess!!!
Tbh, I’ve never heard of a blow off on the fuel system. We used pressure refuelling as you probably know and sensors in the tanks automatically shut off when the tanks are full.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I looked at my pics of RN Sea Kings and it appears some do and some don’t as you say. The avionics theory would be my guess!!!
Tbh, I’ve never heard of a blow off on the fuel system. We used pressure refuelling as you probably know and sensors in the tanks automatically shut off when the tanks are full.
I had a look at my course notes, it’s nothing to do with the fuel system (there are fuel vents but not like this). It can only be to do with the avionics cooling/ventilation.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This is just superb, brilliant modelling and reference material, can i ask a newbie question, what is the 'bean tin' and how did it contribute to the crash of the 819 helicopter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Reading 'Damian's', (XV666), history, it appears it was attached to HMS Tiger, 826 NAS, (@boatman), for a while, 1972 - 1974.

YIKES if Tiger had that devil chopper on board her no wonnder im gettin so much trouble on my model Aaarrrrrccchhhhhhhh lol
chrisb

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I’ve got all the basic airframe painted in Tamira XF-83 Medium Sea Grey. The next step will be painting some of the smaller bits, aerials, tyres, exhausts etc before a coat of varnish. But before I can make that progress I will be taking a break from the bench due to travel commitments. I’ll be away for two weeks then home for a weekend before going away again for two nights. I’m not happy but the bills need paying.
I have thought about glossing this tonight and taking it with me but I’m not 100% happy it would survive the baggage handling.

IMG_2177.jpegIMG_2178.jpegIMG_2179.jpegIMG_2180.jpeg