Rick's 1-87 Scale Kitbashed Brockway Shovel

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pretty certain I used the thread they came with, just routed it more accurately. Might have beeswaxed it, don't remember.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Paul, I looked at it and thought it was a little oversized......now I'm not sure what (if anything) I can use to get a decent representation. Did you just glue it down on the underside of the spool or did you drill and then fix it in place so you could "tension" it up as you went......sort of mystified by this......not sure where to look for some reference to route the dang string when I do find some I think will work. Any suggestions? :thinking:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
A bit, but thought w/i reason. Yes, for both main winch & boom tension. Second one, used for drag control & bucket bottom, just glued.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Wonderful to see the 'ole gal' with some paint. Looks great. I am sure you'll figure out the cables. Hope the wedding went well or if I'm too early I hope it goes well :tongue-out3:
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Rick

Despite your own opinion of how things are going, I like the other think it's coming on really well, despite your problems.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Paul......Maybe I'm overthinking it....just have to roll up my sleeves and fit 'er done!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jim and Andy, Wedding went well and I'm just on the verge of getting this little drama wrapped up.....think I might be getting antsy to start something different. Cheers!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Getting closer to the end of this little preoccupation (you can laugh now......) I must admit it has been a real chore at times, but worth sticking at it. I tried some rattle can gloss coat from Rustoleum and found that it dries real quick. decaled over that and then sealed it with Krylon clear flat........also a rattle can. It gave a superb finish and it was dry to the touch in 15 min. Most all the detail painting is done now and I'm down to the "rigging" I'm thinking about trying to use Monofilament fishing line. P1012350.JPGP1012348.JPGP1012352.JPGP1012355.JPG I have some that is 3lb. test that is .005 inch diameter......looking to do better if I can find some 2lb. test line it may be even thinner hopefully around .003 to .004 in diameter....also hoping to find it in Black, then I won't have to paint it. Here's some pics. of where I'm at presently.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Steve, not looking forward to it but it's got to be done....just hope I can find something suitable to work with.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What about Eezyline? As it's elastic, with the proper length could you use the weight of the boom and shovel to keep it taut?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm with Dave on this EZ line would be my go to as well. The build is looking might fine mate.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Brilliant Rick. That's really looking the bees knees!

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow!.........Thanks All for the nice compliments and the great suggestions. Not having done this before, it is great to know that there are options available to choose from. The next post up on this thread will be a teaser of the completed model.