Rick's 1-87 Scale Luftwaffe Phanomen Granit 25H Ambulance

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Having finished the Airfield Tanker, it's time to turn my full attention to this little "Beauty" of a resin Kit......never thought I'd say that, and it may be short lived. We'll see how this goes....since it is going to require modification instead of just building it OOB. Once I have cleaned up what little flash there is and filled a couple of very small pin holes I will be attempting to carefully cut out the back doors to expose the interior. In the diorama I have planned this Ambulance will be in the process of unloading casualties into the plane for evacuation to a hospital in the rear. I suppose I could have chosen another model but I like this little guy and they were very much used by the Luftwaffe.......here goes.P1012635.JPGP1012636.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And here's the first update....the driver's side running board is the product of a stingy pour. it came out about .005 inch thinner than its opposite. built up with a strip of .005 styrene and CA to hold . when this has set up I will be adding styrene underbracing to both running boards and I'm also going to add .004 etched brass tread plate to the upper surfaces to further strengthen them. That block of resin next to the metal clamp will be removed once the running boards are strengthened.P1012654.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jim, I think it's going to be a fun build if I can keep from breaking it. I need to carefully cut the back doors open and they are only .020 inch thick! Sorta like trying to model with an egg shell. :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Never fails to amaze me of the size you work in Rick.
Just repeat " I love resin , I love resin "
Seat by the door in case you throw it !;)

Biscuits ?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
But of course JR......you must have smelled the Hobnobs, they are just cooling a bit on the rack so you don't burn yourself at first bite! A seat by the door is always good.......early warning, in case Matron shows up. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Take a stab at it Richard....just a matter of how involved and detailed do you want to make the kit. Looking at this one, it is very basic. Didn't even come with a spare tire. I'll scrounge one up add some pioneer tools, wipers for the wind screen, exhaust system, side mirrors a spot light and scratch out an interior from photos I grabbed of the i-net. Nothing to it, really! ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy, I used some .010X.018 inch brass and formed some support straps for the underside of my newly resurfaced running board.....stiffened it right up. etched brass safety tread will not be necessary, I checked my reference material and it wasn't present on the original so it's good to go. The body to frame/fenders fit was off a little and required filing and scraping to get a much better fit. The bottom of the radiator then collided with the body/fender pan requiring the pan to be drilled out and filed to allow the radiator and hood sides to settle down onto the frame/fender assembly. I then cut a piece of strip styrene to cover the new recess from the bottom side leaving a nice pocket for the radiator to nest into.P1012655.JPGP1012658.JPGP1012657.JPGP1012656.JPG......tricky little thing, these resin kits. ;)

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Here's the latest.......I wasn't sure about this when I started this project, because the whole thing depends on getting the ambulance rear doors opened up to load casualties onto the JU to get 'em out of "Dodge". So I set to work with just a little more than trepidation. Using the old Carpenter (joiner) trick of using me pinky as an edge guide, I carefully scribed my way around the outside perimeter if the doors, leaving them joined in the middle. I sort of figured that the sill plate would not survive so my contingency plan went into effect....BRASS! yup, I relieved each lower corner and then sawed into the body just deep enough to let in one leg of a .030X.030 angle, .015 inch thick.......fit like a glove and the opening is within .002 inch of square....close enough for me and the "Krauts"! :nerd: P1012659.JPGP1012660.JPGP1012661.JPG

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave, you have no idea how relieved I am that the ordeal was short lived!....I am now in the process of separating the rear doors from each other....stay tuned. ;)