RNLI WAVENEY CLASS SCOUT 1:12 SCALE

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Alan. I can assure you it is a nice subject and I have pics of the suppliers completed model but it isn't of the build standard that I am capable of so I wont spoil the surprise for you, I will however put up a comparison pic at the end of the project.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Who took the peanuts!

Good start Andy.

So this is going to be clean and shiny then. :smiling3:

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Ian. It will to a degree but I don't think it would do it justice if it looks like it has come out of a box so I will have to think hard on weathering this one. There will be very little but at least something just to add that realism.

Cheers

Andy

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think that that will be the challenge for you with this one. As far as I am aware, RNLI boats are probably the cleanest and most well kept boats in British waters. I could be wrong.

I would suggest a good look around and see what the normal is for them.

I am sure that you will do it well and it will be in no way a toy from a box.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just been woken up by his good self busy at the work bench!

Andy, have a look in Google Images. There are some nice close up walk arounds of RNLI boats, which show weathering...and what little there is, is below the waterline!

Where is your nearest all weather life boat?....Probably a bit away from Walsall, but could be worth a trip out.

Ron

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry I'm late joining this one Andy, but the queue at the popcorn stall is huge, got my seat at the back as usual, stops that Ron throwing the popcorn at me

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If when you google it, leave off the RNLI bit and there are quite a lot of other counties that use them. US coast guard, and the Canadian life boat service to name just two...

Having said that the orange/blue of the RNLI boats, together with the honour they deserve. I would still do it as one of theirs.

Ian M

M

mobear

okay zedbeds at the ready,and a flask of tea with some richtea biccies lol

mobear

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I've just been woken up by his good self busy at the work bench!Andy, have a look in Google Images. There are some nice close up walk arounds of RNLI boats, which show weathering...and what little there is, is below the waterline!

Where is your nearest all weather life boat?....Probably a bit away from Walsall, but could be worth a trip out.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I don't quite know where the nearest would be, I know they have a pier at Wigan, Perhaps the Council might be thick enough to have a boat to go with it lol.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys I hear where you are all coming from on this, I will make a collection of pics from my searches for references.

Keep watching guys. Welcome to the later comers lol

Cheers

Andy

C

CDW

Slightly off subject but ....

Did I see you driving the huge bus of yours yesterday, northbound on m1 just South of Sheffield?

If not there's another pimped hummer nicking your ''bling look''

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Slightly off subject but ....Did I see you driving the huge bus of yours yesterday, northbound on m1 just South of Sheffield?

If not there's another pimped hummer nicking your ''bling look''
Wasn't me Colin but the guy I brought it off has 2 more and he lives Nottingham way, Might have been him.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 4

Well it was a day sanding the hull ready for a primer. I keyed the hull and as its white I looked like a flower grader when I came out of the workshop lol. The next job was to fit the rudders and it recommended that 2 blocks be stuck in place to support the rudder tubes, these were not included so if you had no wood around you were stuck. After that I had to fit the linkages and join them with a piece of rod, guess what ? not included. Once this is done I need to mount the rudder servo, not included nor is the mounting plate. I'm beginning to think that I would have a n even bigger box of not included parts than the one the kit came in.

View attachment 69566

View attachment 69568

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 69567

View attachment 69569

Day 4 1.JPG

Day 4 2.JPG

Day 4 3.JPG

Day 4.JPG

S

Sky Raider

Day 5 - 6

Time to trim the front cabin and front deck so that it fits. Also there is some making good on the deck curves and fillets are provided to be stuck in place and then filled with P38 car body filler. Then they are sanded along with the bump rails.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good Andy. One thing that surprised me. the A-posts. Would it not have been better to put a back plate on the inside of the hull? I know the epoxy it tough stuff but the small area of the bolts I would be afraid that they might pull through.

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

I know what you mean Ian but the kit doesn't have then and that's why I put so much of this resin in place. You will see later that I will also make my own modification on the underside so as to ensure double strength.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Day 8

Just to recap on Ian's valid point - I have now completed the resin on the underside of the hull, this serves two purposes 1. it gives that added strength to the fixing as it overlaps onto the hull 2. It makes a fantastic simulation of a weld when painted.

You can also see that I have now added the Anodes to the keel.

Not much done tonight as I had to wait for this resin to harden.

View attachment 70019

View attachment 70022

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 70020

View attachment 70021

View attachment 70023

View attachment 70024

View attachment 70025

View attachment 70026

Day 8 (1).JPG

Day 8 (2).JPG