RNLI WAVENEY CLASS SCOUT 1:12 SCALE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Andy....just a bit geeky, but all the RNLI all weather lifeboats are named after rivers...Your Waveney and my Severn to name but two.

Cheers,

Ron

S

Sky Raider

You are so correct my good man, I'm not sure but I think there are 8 classes in all.

Tyne

Trent

Severn

Shannon

Waveney

Tamar

Clyde

Mersey

At present they total 444 lifeboats around the coast of Gt Britain. 332 stationed and 112 in relief fleet.

Just a little history to add to your contribution Ron, even more Geeky than yours lol

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy , you'll upset the scousers......add the Mersey to the list!

Up until recently there was the Arun...I attempted to make this class a good few years back. I carved the hull from a solid piece of timber...got fed up and slung it on the wood burner!

Anyway enough geeky, on with the build.....

Ron

C

CDW

Looking good mate, didnt know they were named after rivers ... You learn something new eh!

Anyway I'm going to drive over the forth and bunk up with ole .... He's got rich tea biccies ... nuff said :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Day 9

More work to do for mounting the motors. This kit does not come with motors, mounts or any detail in making such mounts. Therefore, my task today was to make platforms for the motors and mounts that I have chosen for the job.

This wasn't easy as you will see and all angles had to be measured and cut out of ply, These mounts will hold the 600 motors in place.

View attachment 70130

View attachment 70131

View attachment 70132

View attachment 70133

View attachment 70134

Next job was to fit the deck support rails and then I could start to insert the cross braces.

View attachment 70137

View attachment 70138

And now the first of the braces goes in place

View attachment 70139

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 70140

View attachment 70141

Day 9 2.JPG

Day 9 3.JPG

Day 9 4.JPG

Day 9 5.JPG

Day 9 6.JPG

Day 9 7r.JPG

Day 9 8r.JPG

Day 9 b.JPG

Day 9 6.JPG

Day 9 1.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Always nice when you buy a kit and have to provide half the bits yourself.

If it says, semi kit, fair enough but if they say kit I would expect everything except running gear in the box!!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good work so far Andy, enjoying watching this build.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Always nice when you buy a kit and have to provide half the bits yourself.If it says, semi kit, fair enough but if they say kit I would expect everything except running gear in the box!!

Ian M
Your so right Ian, it always works out that you spend twice as much on the bits than you paid for the kit.

S

Sky Raider

Day 10

All of the braces are now fitted in place. I used 4 min Epoxy Resin where the pieces meet the hull and all other joints are stuck together with Humbrol liquid Polly, seems to work a treat. As expected there are a few but not many places than need a little filler. The manual states to use P38 car body filler but I fear this is a little overkill and will turn to my trusty Squadron Green for the job. All in all it went together pretty well and I only found one error with the drawing measurements and that was the gap between the middle brace and the front of the rear cabin brace. There was an increase of 10mm and if I had measured from front to back this brace would have been 10mm forward of its position, luckily as this is crucial for the support of the cabin I measured exactly from the rear face to the measurement indicated for the support this will mean that this lower deck will be 10mm wider than it should be but i'm not really bothered to much about it as it will not be noticed.

View attachment 70262

View attachment 70263

View attachment 70264

View attachment 70265

View attachment 70266

View attachment 70267

View attachment 70268

View attachment 70269

Day 10 (1).JPG

Day 10 (2).JPG

Day 10 (3).JPG

Day 10 (4).JPG

Day 10 (5).JPG

Day 10 (6).JPG

Day 10 (7).JPG

Day 10 (8).JPG

S

Sky Raider

Day 11

I have worked on the rear cabin deck tonight so that I can make the structure a little more rigid at this point. This is where the problem of the centre upright not being in the correct position comes into play. You will just see very faintly where I have had to add an extra 10mm to its length to get it to fit properly. The join is very good and will be invisible when painted. You can also make out the new position of the box section where I have moved it back 10mm. I'm not 100% sure but we may have a problem when I fit the top deck section as it is shaped to fit exactly in place, this additional 10mm may mean that I might need to cut the deck and add the 10mm to each side to move the overlap back to the wall. We will just have to wait and see when the time comes.

View attachment 70277

View attachment 70278

View attachment 70279

View attachment 70280

Cheers

Andy

Day 11 (1).JPG

Day 11 (2).JPG

Day 11 (3).JPG

Day 11 (4).JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Andy. Another masterpiece in the making.

S

Sky Raider

Day 12 - 14

Whilst fitting the floor on the lower deck I decided to stick there for a while and complete most if not all of the detail for this area. I added a couple of details myself as the model has some shortfalls from the detailed pics I have downloaded of the real thing. One of these important details is the diamond anti-slip plate on the steps. I placed an order with my mate at the model shop and purchased 4 sheets of this stuff as I know it will come in very handy for future works. The bulkhead light fittings are a nice touch when they are working so I have decided to put these in action. There were a few pieces I had to fit oversized due to the 10mm issue but it works out ok. The added space will help when I come to fit the crew members.

View attachment 70551

View attachment 70552

View attachment 70553

View attachment 70554

View attachment 70555

View attachment 70556

Cheers

Andy

Day 12 - 14 (1).JPG

Day 12 - 14 (2).JPG

Day 12 - 14 (3).JPG

Day 12 - 14 (4).JPG

Day 12 - 14 (5).JPG

Day 12 - 14 (6).JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm still sat quietly on the end of your bench Andy.......

This is taking shape nicely.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking very good Andy. You made a good job of sorting the 10mm "problem"...

Ian M

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys. I will have some more pics tomorrow, spent the last few days on making wooden parts to hold the circuitry and batts. There are no instructions or details for these so you are left to your own imagination and creation. A little poor I think for the armature who would like to build this kit.

Cheers

Andy