Scammell Tank Transporter And Sherman Tank

S

Satnav313

Im making a diorama to go with a scammel tank transporter and sherman tank. I've started the base but it will take a while to finish.

S

Satnav313

Here are some pics of the base so far.

I made the Shape of the rock faces out of oasis foam (flower arrangement foam) This will reduce the overall weight because i have to put so much papier mache on it to cover the base and make the right terrain. The White plaster of paris square is the base of what will be a blown up german gun emplacement being used by the british.

View attachment 18707

View attachment 18708

View attachment 18709

View attachment 18710

View attachment 18711

View attachment 18712

pics 001.jpg

pics 002.jpg

pics 004.jpg

pics 005.jpg

pics 010.jpg

pics 015.jpg

S

Satnav313

I totally forgot to add pictures of the models so here they are.

I get really annoyed when people say to spend around £10 on pigments for weathering vehicles so I was experimenting with some ideas and then i thought whats better to make mud than mud. So i went and got some mud out of the garden and added some water and then I simply just splashed it on. Its definitely a lot cheaper. The 5.5" gun will be getting set up in the emplacement while the transporter drives through carrying the Sherman.

View attachment 18713

View attachment 18714

View attachment 18715

2009_04140019.JPG

2009_04140020.JPG

2009_04140021.JPG

S

Spyderman_uk

Looking good so far!

Using real mud is a good cheap way of doing things, however the application is a little on the heavy side.

For the mud to have splashed that high over a real vehicle it would had to have been travelling at unrealistic speeds.

The Scammel may have splashes onto the roof and engine cover, but they would be minimal.

Try flicking the mud with a toothbrush or similar from various distances. Oh and turn the model upside down and spray from underneath! It will be concentrated underneath.

Have fun!

S

Satnav313

Thanks for the tips, I especially like the toothbrush one. I'll try it. But great minds do think alike sometimes, I've already done the underside of the model.And about the roof, I think your right. I went a little overboard with the mud. I'll try and get some more pictures on to show where the road will be.

S

Satnav313

The bottom rockface is now completely covered and i have added a trunk to which branches will be attached. Ive changed the design of the bridge and once I finished building it I mixed a matt brown enamel with the same amount of thinner then added a small drop of oil to help the mixture soak into the wood and bring out the woods markings. I have now begun to build up the rock face that the bunker is enclosed in and the ground sloping down from the roads.

View attachment 18991

View attachment 18992

View attachment 18993

View attachment 18994

View attachment 18995

2009_05060001.JPG

2009_05060002.JPG

2009_05060005.JPG

2009_05060006.jpg

2009_05060003.JPG

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
The bottom rockface is now completely covered and i have added a trunk to which branches will be attached. Ive changed the design of the bridge and once I finished building it I mixed a matt brown enamel with the same amount of thinner then added a small drop of oil to help the mixture soak into the wood and bring out the woods markings. I have now begun to build up the rock face that the bunker is enclosed in and the ground sloping down from the roads.
Looking good mate. It is hard for me to imagine the final effect so i am realy keen to see this project progress.

Andy

S

Satnav313

\ said:
Looking good mate. It is hard for me to imagine the final effect so i am realy keen to see this project progress.Andy
Thanks for the kind words but I hope your not expecting too much as it is my first attempt at a dio.

Tom

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Thanks for the kind words but I hope your not expecting too much as it is my first attempt at a dio.Tom
As you know from my Jug project mate... that this was my first also. I just put all of my heart and passion into it and it came out great, i think. I'm sure to will do the same. We can only get better as we progress mate.

Well done so far.

Andy

S

Satnav313

\ said:
As you know from my Jug project mate... that this was my first also. I just put all of my heart and passion into it and it came out great, i think. I'm sure to will do the same. We can only get better as we progress mate.Well done so far.

Andy
Thanks mate

I'll start believing in what im doing and try my hardest to make it look good. (and by the way the jug does look great.)

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Thanks mateI'll start believing in what im doing and try my hardest to make it look good. (and by the way the jug does look great.)
Thanks for the comment Tom. What i do is take my time and consentrate on one area at a time. See the finished area in your mind ignor any other part. You will know if it is going to look right or not, be happy with it before moving to another area. You find if you flash over everything, when it is finshed and you stand back, everything that isnt right will stand out and you will never be happy with it. It is alway easier to rectify bits and peices before you get to paint.

Take your time and enjoy it.

Andy

S

Satnav313

Thanks Andy.

It makes alot more sense than just rushing into parts when others are not complete. You always seem to help.

Tom

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Thanks Andy.It makes alot more sense than just rushing into parts when others are not complete. You always seem to help.

Tom
Im sure you will do a good job mate. Its time we saw some more pics Tom. Have you got any mate.

Im glad that i can help, i have never built a dio either, but if you put your mind to it and take your time, you can do anything that you want. Remember it is all in the mind, see it build it. Atrists that paint without a subject are a prime example, they see every detail in their mind and then put it to canvas, starting with the back ground and then working forward in layers. Exactly what you want to do, see your landscape from a flat plane and build up each little section and then move to the next. If you break your image down into sections, say a grid of 6 and work on each grid area, blending one into the next, you will see the scale really come to life. So instead of building 1 dio you are now building 6 small ones. Hope this info helps and isnt a load of woffle to you mate.

Andy

S

Satnav313

\ said:
Im sure you will do a good job mate. Its time we saw some more pics Tom. Have you got any mate.
Hi Andy.

I like the idea of the sections. I will try that next time. About those pictures, I get the camera back tommorow so ill get some on.

Thanks Tom.

S

Satnav313

Andy... Heres those pics you were after.

The sculpting of the base is now complete other than a small plunge pool that leads into the stream. I decided to add stilts and crossed beams to the bridge to make it look a little stronger:weight1:. The "dint" above the bunker is from the explosion. I still haven't added any branches to the tree but they will come later on.

Onto another subject: PAINTING

Any ideas as to what colours, or mix of colours, make a good wet mud effect.

Any help Apreciated.

Thanks Tom.:granade:

View attachment 19028

View attachment 19029

View attachment 19030

View attachment 19031

View attachment 19032

View attachment 19033

2009_05110001.JPG

2009_05110002.JPG

2009_05110003.jpg

2009_05110005.JPG

2009_05110006.jpg

2009_05110004.jpg

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Andy... Heres those pics you were after.The sculpting of the base is now complete other than a small plunge pool that leads into the stream. I decided to add stilts and crossed beams to the bridge to make it look a little stronger:weight1:. The "dint" above the bunker is from the explosion. I still haven't added any branches to the tree but they will come later on.

Onto another subject: PAINTING

Any ideas as to what colours, or mix of colours, make a good wet mud effect.

Any help Apreciated.

Thanks Tom.:granade:
Looking good Tom, well done, i must confess i know nothing about these things as far as paint goes. Take a look at Models2U - Bringing Models To You They have some dio stuff on there and offer good discounts as well as a good price. I buy my bits of them for the scale cockpits etc. They have some dio stuff on there, inc ground stuff, dark earth grass etc. I would think but im not sure but i would use some sort of resin mixed with the earth to give it that wet shine look. or even the stuff you use for water. I would mix a little of the dark earth with the resin or something like that and let it dry to see what it looks like. If it works you can run some tyres in it before it totally dries to form some ruts. I would even experiment with some dry soil and resin to see what it looks like.

Good luck anyway.

Andy

S

Satnav313

Thanks bud ill try those ideas and then post pics of the results.

Thanks again,

Tom