Scotties Bedford RL

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
And you're having a great time too Buddy!!! Sure your middle name isn't Scratchy??? I do wonder sometimes and I bet you sign your checks with Paul S. Scott...Most excellent work my friend!!!

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
And you're having a great time too Buddy!!! Sure your middle name isn't Scratchy??? I do wonder sometimes and I bet you sign your checks with Paul S. Scott...Most excellent work my friend!!!

Prost
Allen
Hi Dude, On this build mate it's a case of no choice as the bits are missing but I am having fun.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'm sorry to say that I don't think I will be finishing this any time soon. The body and chassis I was happy with the result of the modifications and the actual kit parts. But despite 3 attempts to sort the glazing out on the cab, I cannot get a result I am happy with. So this has been put back in the box .

This kit has really made ne think twice about doing anymore resin kits, which is a great shame as there are some interesting subjects out there.

Thanks for following along and the support.

cheers
Scottie

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry to hear that Paul...It seemed like you were having such a good time fixing it......OK, maybe not....Take a break from it and in a few weeks, maybe the urge will strike you to finish it. It was looking really nice Buddy....

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sorry to hear that Paul...It seemed like you were having such a good time fixing it......OK, maybe not....Take a break from it and in a few weeks, maybe the urge will strike you to finish it. It was looking really nice Buddy....

Prost
Allen
Cheers Dude, I was really happy with the way the rest of it had turned out but you can't hide glazing issues and the cab is the focal point of a build. I will have a think about what I can do to resolve it and maybe I will get round to it again. Thanks for the support along the way.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I can understand that Paul...I'm building a Tamiya Kübelwagen and it's been giving me a hard time too, believe it or not...

You know I always love to follow your builds as they just get better and better!!!...

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mr. Scottie, you have my full condolences when it comes to a situation such as this. I too am in a similar place and it has been bothering me for some time now. I hope this does not get you into a similar slump.....wouldn't wish this on anyone. :tired:

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This kit has really made ne think twice about doing anymore resin kits, which is a great shame as there are some interesting subjects out there.
Resin AFV kits are generally easier to build than softskins, because there are far fewer fiddly bits to line up correctly for the main shapes. Plus, little or no glass windows ;)

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry to hear that mate - I empathise with you, perhaps some time hence we'll see the culmination of your efforts!
Steve

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mr. Scottie, you have my full condolences when it comes to a situation such as this. I too am in a similar place and it has been bothering me for some time now. I hope this does not get you into a similar slump.....wouldn't wish this on anyone. :tired:
Rick, cheers mate I will put it to one side and move on. Dig something out of the stash and get yourself back to the bench it will work wonders.
Resin AFV kits are generally easier to build than softskins, because there are far fewer fiddly bits to line up correctly for the main shapes. Plus, little or no glass windows ;)
Jakko, The main reason is its a very curved shape and due to the moulding there is no definitive locations for the glass.

Sorry to hear that mate - I empathise with you, perhaps some time hence we'll see the culmination of your efforts!
Steve
Cheers Steve, I hope so mate it would be a shame after all the work that went in to it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Too good to give up on us this one Paul. Give it a rest then come back at it after rethinking the problem. The glazing shouldn’t be too bad really. It is flat glass after all. There are a couple of approaches to this that I’ve used in the past, and one that comes to mind when looking at pictures of the real truck.

Ignore as much of the following as you want, it’s just suggestions…..this model is a cracker and needs to get over the line……no pressure mind ;)

One I’ve used is simply butt joining the glazing into the aperture. It’s OK, but doesn’t take much handling.

Another way I’ve used is to carve out a rebate behind the frame and fit the glass into that. Might not be feasible here though.

One that I’ve not used, but that comes to mind, is this…..Looking at pictures there is rubber beading around the glass, so perhaps you could add the beading to give a locating ridge for the glass to fit against.

The panes of glass will need to be filed up individually and fitted one at a time. I find it’s better to use thicker rigid stock like 0.5mm (or even 1mm) clear styrene for the panes. It’s easier to file up accurately and stays flat in the apertures. Some people used to use plastic from the boxes Ferraro Rocher comes in . I used Krystal Klear to stick mine in, by the way.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Too good to give up on us this one Paul. Give it a rest then come back at it after rethinking the problem. The glazing shouldn’t be too bad really. It is flat glass after all. There are a couple of approaches to this that I’ve used in the past, and one that comes to mind when looking at pictures of the real truck.

Ignore as much of the following as you want, it’s just suggestions…..this model is a cracker and needs to get over the line……no pressure mind ;)

One I’ve used is simply butt joining the glazing into the aperture. It’s OK, but doesn’t take much handling.

Another way I’ve used is to carve out a rebate behind the frame and fit the glass into that. Might not be feasible here though.

One that I’ve not used, but that comes to mind, is this…..Looking at pictures there is rubber beading around the glass, so perhaps you could add the beading to give a locating ridge for the glass to fit against.

The panes of glass will need to be filed up individually and fitted one at a time. I find it’s better to use thicker rigid stock like 0.5mm (or even 1mm) clear styrene for the panes. It’s easier to file up accurately and stays flat in the apertures. Some people used to use plastic from the boxes Ferraro Rocher comes in . I used Krystal Klear to stick mine in, by the way.
Tim thanks mate some excellent food for thought. I do like the idea of thicker material. I will have to see what I have.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You can disguise the edge thickness by painting edges black mate. Gets rid of that mirror silvered effect to a certain extent. After all, the glass is set in a rubber surround anyway.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Too good and too much work done to give up on Scottie. Put it away safe and think about it. Some time in the future you'll have an idea which will work.