Scotties Miniart US Bulldozer

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Scottie progress looks fabulous and I like what you did to that Oil Bath Breather very impressive

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Paul .
Even though I know you , I'm coming to the conclusion that you are not human, sorry if that sounds odd , but you take this modelling lark to another level . Truly into the dark side.
It just amazes me with each build he improves so much in his skills

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul .
Even though I know you , I'm coming to the conclusion that you are not human, sorry if that sounds odd , but you take this modelling lark to another level . Truly into the dark side.
John, You are to kind mate, there are people who would agree with the non human bit.
Scottie progress looks fabulous and I like what you did to that Oil Bath Breather very impressive
Cheers Lee, thanks for giving it, it's right name.
It just amazes me with each build he improves so much in his skills
Thanks Lee, any improvements in my modelling are down to you guys on this site pushing the boundry's and me just trying to keep up.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I don't know how others faired who have built this but I am finding it hard going. Most parts I build in my order of construction as the instructions sometimes make it difficult or more likely it is just me lol.

the rear fairleads are a point in fact, the etch bodies have tiny and I mean tiny pivot pins that allow them to swivel. These I decided to ignore and used lengths of evergreen rod to make the pivots these are a lot stronger the braces have also been made out of evergreen. The winch drums were made out of sequence as the fit of the components was bad and would just not go together as suggested.

As I said it is probably just me.

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3449.JPG

The A frame is also not symmetrical and it is very hard to see which way round it should go. I'm hoping that my logic has it the right way.

Next to allow me to assemble after painting and for strength I have added pins to the roof pillars.

DSCF3447.JPG

and the matching holes in the pillars.

DSCF3451.JPG

It needs a little filler in the holes where the spot lights fit.

regards
Scottie

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I find myself building things not as per instructions if it seems easier that way and is a lot of the time, nice work on the manufacturing :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I find myself building things not as per instructions if it seems easier that way and is a lot of the time, nice work on the manufacturing :thumb2:
Mark, I quite often skip steps but the whole sequence on this just seems badly thought out.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Your attention to the fairleads is spot on. They are critical for the tasks the dozer was designed to do in addition to pushing stuff around. I believe the overhead frame leans to the right as you have it. Photos show how the cables were routed in most cases including the fairleads. You will see the "shortcut" way routing the cable directly to control the dozer blade as well.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Your attention to the fairleads is spot on. They are critical for the tasks the dozer was designed to do in addition to pushing stuff around. I believe the overhead frame leans to the right as you have it. Photos show how the cables were routed in most cases including the fairleads. You will see the "shortcut" way routing the cable directly to control the dozer blade as well.
Cheers Paul, I'm glad you can confirm my thoughts on the frame. The instructions do show the routing of the cables so hopefully I will be able to sort it out.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice scratchy work Brother!!! You're doing fine Paul, lousy destructions or not. You will ace this puppy like you do with all your builds. Keep it coming.....................

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
It's not you that's for sure. It is a very "high skill level" kit with many challenges including the instructions. The subject itself has many details which become very fiddly when scaled to 1/35. You are able to see possible problems and work out a solution. You're well on the way to a cracking result.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
It's not you that's for sure. It is a very "high skill level" kit with many challenges including the instructions. The subject itself has many details which become very fiddly when scaled to 1/35. You are able to see possible problems and work out a solution. Your well on the way to a cracking result.
Jim
Jim, I agree this kit is not for the faint hearted and hopefully I won't make a complete pigs ear of it.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The joys of model making mate. Now which bulldozer is it your building LOL

download.jpg

Here are some close ups if it helps. Plenty of reference photos if you need them. If it helps others have said this is the worst piece of the build. Onwards and upwards now my friend. Great work

Cat D7 with LeTourneau R7 PCU (2).jpgcrawler d7  europe - late autumn 44 (2).jpgSeabee-Caterpillar-D7-Bulldozer (2).jpgLeTourneau R7 power control unit.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think 'spot on' mate - working perfectly methinks and looking superb (now I am jealous!)
Steve