Scotties Sd.Kfz. 10/5

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello All,
This is next on the bench. Revells offering of the Sd.Kfz.10/5. I was after the Italeri offering but after checking on scalemates its the same kit. The box is the typical end open box from Revell which I personally don't like. The kit also came with the Eduard etch and a Passion models replacement barrel.

Just a quick look at the sprues which are moulded in light Tan and appear to be fairly crisp and free from flash.

DSCF3141.JPG

I also got this to go with it.

DSCF3142.JPG

DSCF3144.JPG

Cheers Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
A nice choice. I have often wondered why half-tracks seem to have only been manufactured around the 1940s. Was there some flaw with them?
I like the trailer - added interest.
Great improvement to the cab.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Paul.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good start and already showing the usual Scottie touches :thumb2:
Class

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great details!
All the disadvantages of tracked & wheeled vehicles.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Off to a great start mate. There are stacks of research stuff on the tinternet but if you need anything let me know. Good luck my friend

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
A nice choice. I have often wondered why half-tracks seem to have only been manufactured around the 1940s. Was there some flaw with them?
I like the trailer - added interest.
Great improvement to the cab.
Jim
Thanks Jim. True they didn't appear after the war to my knowledge. Most of the vehicles seem to pull these, and the box contains two trailers so I have one for another time.
Nice start Paul.

ATB.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew.
Good start and already showing the usual Scottie touches :thumb2:
Class
Cheers Tim not perfect by a long shot but it looks a bit busier.
Great details!
All the disadvantages of tracked & wheeled vehicles.
I can't see the advantage of a half track unless cheaper to manufacture?
Off to a great start mate. There are stacks of research stuff on the tinternet but if you need anything let me know. Good luck my friend
[/QUOTE]
Thanks Steve I have some good pictures from prime portal but trying to fine some better ones of the front axle.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nice choice Scottie Dawg :thumb2: ,
Needless to say i`m definitely "In" for the duration mate.
As has been said,you`re off to a cracking start already:cool: ,
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice choice and off to a great start Scottie. :thumb2: Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cost and benefit. A halftrack costs almost the same as a full-tracked vehicle to build and maintain, but it’s less capable cross-country. Once all-wheel drive had been perfected, it made more sense to build 4×4, 6×6 etc. vehicles instead of halftracks for all-terrain cargo transport, because they were far cheaper, and go to full-tracked vehicles for APCs because they’re far more capable at not that much greater expense.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks Jakko
Obvious really. Half-tracks always look so capable.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have dropboxed a load of stuff for you. You should have it by now???

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Cost and benefit. A halftrack costs almost the same as a full-tracked vehicle to build and maintain, but it’s less capable cross-country. Once all-wheel drive had been perfected, it made more sense to build 4×4, 6×6 etc. vehicles instead of halftracks for all-terrain cargo transport, because they were far cheaper, and go to full-tracked vehicles for APCs because they’re far more capable at not that much greater expense.

True to a point in the post war years. German half tracks were developed to move troops and towed weapons cross country where trucks couldn't go. Developed in the 30's, many designs were tried and the German Waffenamt came to the conclusion that these were the way to improve cross country towing capability. Half tracks weren't designed to be supply vehicles. This was left to the transport corps who travelled on the roadways. The Wa also made a decision on the classifications of half tracks to be produced. They were, 1 ton, 3 ton, 5 ton, 8 ton, 12 ton and 18 ton vehicles. Of these, the troop carriers were the 3 ton 251 series. Pioneers used a 5 ton version so they could carry their supplies that they needed with them. The rest were made to tow everything from nebelwerfers to 21cm artillery pieces. They also were able to carry the crew to man these weapons. The classic example is the Sd. Kfz. 7 (8 ton) towing an 88mm FlaK/PaK with full crew on board. Most all of the 18 ton vehicles were used for recovery, but some had cranes, 6 or 10 ton types mounted on the cargo bed. The also towed 115 and 116 trailers for the purpose of recovery and some 12 and 18 ton half tracks had 88mm guns mounted on them. Yes, they were expensive and also quite labor intensive to maintain (typical German engineering), but served their purpose....

Another point to be mentioned is there is no evidence or record of the designation Sd. Kfz. 10/5. The 1 ton, 10 line of vehicles had 4 designations /1, /2, /3 and /4. The 10/1 towed various weapons and carried the crew for them. The 10/2 and 10/3 were chemical decontamination vehicles and the 10/4 mounted first, the 2cm FlaK 30 and later the 2cm FlaK 38 AA guns. The 10 /4 also had field mods to carry the PaK 36/37 and/or the 5cm PaK. These were still a 10/4 in designation. The field applied armor to the forward parts of it did not change the designation either. It's one of those things that happen when a historian or the like adds what he thinks and it becomes, so to say, fact after the years and everybody just goes with it. Dragon, Revell and other makers went the designation....

I'll stop now and also apologize to Paul for clogging up his blog. This will definitely be a great build in his style and I'm all eyes my friend. Do you have an idea where you will be placing this baby? If you need any other info that maybe Stevie didn't send ya, just holler. Love that interior work too. Drive on Bro!!!

Prost
Allen (almost Ret.)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
True to a point in the post war years. German half tracks were developed to move troops and towed weapons cross country where trucks couldn't go. Developed in the 30's, many designs were tried and the German Waffenamt came to the conclusion that these were the way to improve cross country towing capability. Half tracks weren't designed to be supply vehicles. This was left to the transport corps who travelled on the roadways. The Wa also made a decision on the classifications of half tracks to be produced. They were, 1 ton, 3 ton, 5 ton, 8 ton, 12 ton and 18 ton vehicles. Of these, the troop carriers were the 3 ton 251 series. Pioneers used a 5 ton version so they could carry their supplies that they needed with them. The rest were made to tow everything from nebelwerfers to 21cm artillery pieces. They also were able to carry the crew to man these weapons. The classic example is the Sd. Kfz. 7 (8 ton) towing an 88mm FlaK/PaK with full crew on board. Most all of the 18 ton vehicles were used for recovery, but some had cranes, 6 or 10 ton types mounted on the cargo bed. The also towed 115 and 116 trailers for the purpose of recovery and some 12 and 18 ton half tracks had 88mm guns mounted on them. Yes, they were expensive and also quite labor intensive to maintain (typical German engineering), but served their purpose....

Another point to be mentioned is there is no evidence or record of the designation Sd. Kfz. 10/5. The 1 ton, 10 line of vehicles had 4 designations /1, /2, /3 and /4. The 10/1 towed various weapons and carried the crew for them. The 10/2 and 10/3 were chemical decontamination vehicles and the 10/4 mounted first, the 2cm FlaK 30 and later the 2cm FlaK 38 AA guns. The 10 /4 also had field mods to carry the PaK 36/37 and/or the 5cm PaK. These were still a 10/4 in designation. The field applied armor to the forward parts of it did not change the designation either. It's one of those things that happen when a historian or the like adds what he thinks and it becomes, so to say, fact after the years and everybody just goes with it. Dragon, Revell and other makers went the designation....

I'll stop now and also apologize to Paul for clogging up his blog. This will definitely be a great build in his style and I'm all eyes my friend. Do you have an idea where you will be placing this baby? If you need any other info that maybe Stevie didn't send ya, just holler. Love that interior work too. Drive on Bro!!!

Prost
Allen (almost Ret.)
Allen,
No problems at all mate that was a very interesting read and many thanks for sharing it. Glad you like it so far.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Half tracks weren't designed to be supply vehicles.
Yep, thanks for the correction — that’s what I meant but I didn’t put that very well because “supply” is the word that came into my head :smiling3: But my basic point remains that halftracks proved too expensive and not terrain-worthy enough during/after the war, so hardly any new designs were developed once that was over.

one of those things that happen when a historian or the like adds what he thinks and it becomes, so to say, fact after the years and everybody just goes with it.
Just like so many other things … Sherman Firefly, anyone? :smiling3: