Scotties Sd.Kfz. 10/5

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I had to rework the front suspension as it was a solid lump lacking in detail. The axle straps that prevent over movement of the axle were just cast as solid blocks. The leaf spring was removed and made from strips of evergreen. The link arms were fabricated from copper rod with copper pins to allow the suspension a little movement. There is still some detail to add this will be done when this has dried properly. You can see the straps that replaced the solid plastic moulding.

DSCF3148.JPG

DSCF3149.JPG

cheers
Scottie

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great modifications and scratchwork Paul. I have the ESCI kit...don't know if it's similar to both the Italeri and Revell kit.

Cheers,
Richard

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful job. Early Corvettes (before IRS) had the same strap arrangement on the rear axle.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Front axle/suspension looks so much better. Definitely worth the time and effort.
Thanks Allen for the half track info. Most interesting. Sorry Scottie for clogging up your thread with my question.
Jim

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I had to rework the front suspension as it was a solid lump lacking in detail. The axle straps that prevent over movement of the axle were just cast as solid blocks. The leaf spring was removed and made from strips of evergreen. The link arms were fabricated from copper rod with copper pins to allow the suspension a little movement. There is still some detail to add this will be done when this has dried properly. You can see the straps that replaced the solid plastic moulding.

View attachment 438413

View attachment 438414

cheers
Scottie
Paul, while soaking in all your detail, have to say that the copper linkage pins keep drawing my eye... Bravo !

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great modifications and scratchwork Paul. I have the ESCI kit...don't know if it's similar to both the Italeri and Revell kit.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard, cheers mate. As far as I can make out Revell and Italeari shared the moulds but not ESCI
Beautiful job. Early Corvettes (before IRS) had the same strap arrangement on the rear axle.
Thanks Paul,A lot of vehicles with solid axles had these straps especially X country and 4 x 4 to protect the suspension.
Hi Scottie
Front axle/suspension looks so much better. Definitely worth the time and effort.
Thanks Allen for the half track info. Most interesting. Sorry Scottie for clogging up your thread with my question.
Jim
Jim, not a problem mate that is what these posts are for, sharing information and asking questions.
Paul, while soaking in all your detail, have to say that the copper linkage pins keep drawing my eye:anguished:... Bravo !
Ron, thank you mate they were fun to make;)
Wow Paul , say no more.:nerd::flushed::surprised:
Thanks John.
Such a great start Scottie, love watching these builds
Mick, Thanks mate hopefully more to come.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The bonnet (hood) panels did not fit very well at all leaving a large gap at the rear. This may be due to the dubious location of the bulkhead and dash board earlier. The instructions show the wind shield fitted even when the armour for the cab is fitted is this correct or would they have removed the windshield?

DSCF3150.JPG

DSCF3151.JPG

I still have some cleaning up to do along the panel lines.

Cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
This may be due to the dubious location of the bulkhead and dash board earlier.
Ain't that so often the case. Iffy instructions with imprecise location points and then positioning of other parts is thrown out.
You have overcome issues and it all looks good.
Can't help with the windscreen question but someone will know. Calling Jakko :smiling: :thumb2: :smiling: ;)
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The PAK versions (3.7 & 5.0) definitely did away w/it but the AA version is unclear as the armor is the same height as the original windscreen.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I'm not an expert on German half-tracks, but I think that keeping the windscreen behind the armour (that is to say in a a combat situation) would be a dangerous choice: any hit on the armour, any artillery near-miss, not to talk about a bullet going through the loophole, would break the windscreen behind it creating an unpleasant shower of high speed glass splinters in the driving compartment... but it's just a speculative thought.