Scotties Sd.Kfz. 10/5

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice progress Scottie. Great additions as usual.
Thanks Tim, nice of you to say.
Ain't that so often the case. Iffy instructions with imprecise location points and then positioning of other parts is thrown out.
You have overcome issues and it all looks good.
Can't help with the windscreen question but someone will know. Calling Jakko :smiling: :thumb2: :smiling: ;)
Jim
To be fair it is an old kit but the location points for the fire wall to the tub were very iffy. Still I got away with it this time ;)
The PAK versions (3.7 & 5.0) definitely did away w/it but the AA version is unclear as the armor is the same height as the original windscreen.
Paul, Given your input and the other comments I think I will leave it off.
I'm not an expert on German half-tracks, but I think that keeping the windscreen behind the armour (that is to say in a a combat situation) would be a dangerous choice: any hit on the armour, any artillery near-miss, not to talk about a bullet going through the loophole, would break the windscreen behind it creating an unpleasant shower of high speed glass splinters in the driving compartment... but it's just a speculative thought.
Andy, That is faultless logic mate I will leave the screen off which is just as well as it would take a lot of work to make it look presentable.
Royal Models & Dragon do not include the windshield in their armored AA versions.
Paul, Thanks for the conformation mate.
Paul. I agree with the critics beautiful scratch work
Lee thank you kindly mate.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Paul,

Great scratchy my friend, but your exhaust pipe outlet diameter is 0.05mm too big.................Made you look!!! All of the reference pics I have show no windscreen behind the armor shield. Andrea raised a very good reason for this above too. Keep on trucking Bro and adding the finery. As this is the Flak 38 version, you won't need to make the counter weights on the front either. Lucky you.................

Prost
Allen (almost Ret.)

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hey Paul,

Great scratchy my friend, but your exhaust pipe outlet diameter is 0.05mm too big.................Made you look!!! All of the reference pics I have show no windscreen behind the armor shield. Andrea raised a very good reason for this above too. Keep on trucking Bro and adding the finery. As this is the Flak 38 version, you won't need to make the counter weights on the front either. Lucky you.................

Prost
Allen (almost Ret.)
Hi Allen,
Trust you to notice that the exhaust was to big ;) . No windscreen seems to be the general feeling. I'm struggling to find some decent reference pics of the inside of the armour at the moment all I can find is some pictures of the dragon build. Take care mate and thanks for stopping buy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Look at it this way: even if the windscreen were normally still on the vehicle, chances are that individual crews would have removed them for exactly the reasons mentioned.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice Paul, gives me and many more hope when you find something doesn't fit property, mind I can get any part to miss fit !

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Ain't that so often the case. Iffy instructions with imprecise location points and then positioning of other parts is thrown out.
You have overcome issues and it all looks good.
Can't help with the windscreen question but someone will know. Calling Jakko :smiling: :thumb2: :smiling: ;)
Jim
Don't remind me please ... I've got to attack my beastie again this weekend :thinking: :flushed:! Looking good mate - and yes, there is plentiful photo evidence of screens being removed both from damage and as a camouflage measure. Mounting points often still exist though, or the screens may be covered in hessian or cam net. Crack on Guv! :hugging-face:
Steve

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Look at it this way: even if the windscreen were normally still on the vehicle, chances are that individual crews would have removed them for exactly the reasons mentioned.
Jakko, I think your right the screen would have been removed.
Nice Paul, gives me and many more hope when you find something doesn't fit property, mind I can get any part to miss fit !
John, that is the challenge I enjoy when building the older kits.
Don't remind me please ... I've got to attack my beastie again this weekend :thinking: :flushed:! Looking good mate - and yes, there is plentiful photo evidence of screens being removed both from damage and as a camouflage measure. Mounting points often still exist though, or the screens may be covered in hessian or cam net. Crack on Guv! :hugging-face:
Steve
[/QUOTE
Steve, the removed option seems to be the one in favour. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As the general concensous was for no windscreen that is the way I went. I decided to scratch the armour from evergreen sheet as the kit offering was over thick and not very well moulded. So each of the panels was cut using the kit ones as guides. I found some pictures although not very clear on the inside of the armour. It appears the vision blocks were just simple plates that could be slid open or shut. The side plates had some rivet detail but nothing on the inside so using SWAG (Scientific Wild Arse Guess) I summised that this was for the plate supports that fixed it to the vehicle body. Next the rivet detail was added.

Even though this follows the kit parts this would have been a drafty vehicle as the armour leaves large gaps between it and the body.

Anyway enough waffle,

DSCF3153.JPG

DSCF3154.JPG

DSCF3155.JPG

DSCF3156.JPG

comments welcome
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Well right or wrong it certainly looks right. Don't concern yourself with it being a bit breezy inside - those Germans were a hardy bunch ;)
Jim

• Haha
Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
Well right or wrong it certainly looks right. Don't concern yourself with it being a bit breezy inside - those Germans were a hardy bunch ;)
Jim
Hi Jim, also the rest of the vehicle is open to the elements, so I guess it didn't really matter.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Paul. Just had a catch-up. Very impressive indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Could you please stop this amazing work as it's embarrassing to us lesser mortals Paul .:upside:
Great detail , looks really good .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Scottie, just checked and found a photo (on "Kfz Der Wehrmacht" website) showing the armoured shield from the rear......no wind screen evident. Sorry I don't know how to do the url thing but it's an easy site to navigate if you want to check it out. Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great work Paul. Just had a catch-up. Very impressive indeed.

ATB.

Andrew
Andrew thanks mate I'm enjoying it so far.
Could you please stop this amazing work as it's embarrassing to us lesser mortals Paul .:upside:
Great detail , looks really good .
Thanks John, I try.
Hi Scottie, just checked and found a photo (on "Kfz Der Wehrmacht" website) showing the armoured shield from the rear......no wind screen evident. Sorry I don't know how to do the url thing but it's an easy site to navigate if you want to check it out. Rick H.
Rick,
Thanks for that mate I will look it up.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The armour looks good Paul, the visors with their sliding brackets are nicely done.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Progress is painfully slow, as not much bench time at the moment. Added some details to the front. The headlamp mounts had no detail at all just simple moulded overscale tubes to affix the light to. So they were shaved off and the details added from pewter, foil and copper wire. Hopefully they look ok.

DSCF3157.JPG

cheers
Scottie