Tamiya 1/35 PBR (pibber)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy nothing wrong to me with the painting, and those figures look ok too.
Nice looking base, how's the side veneer fixed, glue or double-sided tape . Interested to see how those trees come out .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very good to me after my catch up. Figures are excellent, great depth of contrast. Libber is going very well also.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Boat looks great. The figures work perfectly. Very interesting to see the base come together - looks neat already. Clever palm trees.
Thanks Jim. Not sure how the trees will turn out yet but fingers crossed they're not too bad.
Andy nothing wrong to me with the painting, and those figures look ok too.
Nice looking base, how's the side veneer fixed, glue or double-sided tape . Interested to see how those trees come out .
I used tape on this one John. I often use hot glue as the foam is usually a bit wonky without a cutter but this was good enough to try the tape idea.

Looking very good to me after my catch up. Figures are excellent, great depth of contrast. Libber is going very well also.
Thanks Tim. A couple of hiccups but it's coming together.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Will there be a tiger?
He's already there Paul, hiding underwater ;)

That is a good idea putting the model inside a plastic bag/clingfilm. Which? Looking good.
Clingfilm Jim. It allowed me to get the filler right up to the hull where I'd not cut the foam very well.

I've found a decent picture showing the kind of wake I'd like. I just need to try and replicate it now.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Paul.

Yes I've seen that thanks. Stunning, but maybe a bit ambitious for me.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great looking model, the tyres are brilliant. It's the details that make it. After using the quick dry modelling clay, I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (but that's personal choice) now it's DIY filler for me (thanks Ron).

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've added some random colours to give a bit of variety. It's still a bit damp but once fully dry the plan is to add several layers of gloss varnish with a pinch of red/brown, to smooth out the texture and bring the colours together.

I'm still winging it but happy so far

1000004781.jpg

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm not normally superstitious but maybe Friday 13th wasn't the best day to pick. Instead of varnish I brushed on a thin coat of Vallejo still water and after a few hours it has cracked & crazed :tired:

I'll see what occurs overnight as it cures fully but some kind of rescue mission is in order!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yes, I'm not sure what I've done wrong Neil but it's not happy. The paint had a couple of days to dry before I applied the thinnest layer of still water I could manage, as it warns against building it up thickly.

I suppose I should have stuck with many layers of varnish but given the problems I've had with that on this build it wasn't guaranteed to work either lol

1000004817.jpg

1000004819.jpg

Looks like I may be scraping or sanding the top layers off and starting again, or maybe trying to fill the cracks. We'll see after some more drying time.

These things are sent to try us :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Just had a catch-up. The boat has turned out beautifully. Really top drawer. Shame about the water effect..... Hope you're able to fix it.

Andrew

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Andrew.

Here's one experiment that turned out okay though, adapted from a video I saw. Thin wire on a non-stick surface, painted with a water/pva/plaster/paint mixture. The single layer one was very fragile and broke apart but the one on the left received 2 coats and is reasonably robust while still flexible

2023-10-12 15.37.40.jpg

2023-10-14 10.43.06.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think I’d first try filling the cracks with more of the “water” — it’s not like you have anything to lose, if you’re thinking of stripping it completely anyway. The plants look very convincing, finally something that does seem to be working out on this build :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Neil & Jakko.

I wasn't sure I'd have the patience to make a bunch of them, but looking at how well they've turned out I think it might be worth it (if I can rescue the base!)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
You may be having issues but it makes for a very interesting read and there's a lot that's very good.
Jakko makes a very good point. You've nothing to lose so another layer of water is worth a go.
Plants are excellent.