Tamiya 1/35 PBR (pibber)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Would you like to see some photos of two PBR dioramas I came across today, as inspiration?

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
If they are from SMC then it'll probably be less inspiration, more showing me what I won't achieve, so I'd rather you didn't put them in here thanks.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
TBH I didn’t think they were that well-made, but because of the subject they did immediately make me think of your model. I figured I’d ask first, though, just in case :smiling3:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After much deliberation and plenty of time for it to dry out fully I peeled off the worst areas where the Still Water was cracked, flaking & delaminating, then gave it a good sand and applied a coat of a sloppy filler/pva/water/paint mixture. I'm hoping this will fill in the worst of what is left and create a barrier to prevent similar problems as I progress.

It's certainly looking okay at the moment but we'll see how it fares after a long, slow drying period:

2023-10-26 08.59.52.jpg

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy. Seen some rivers like that in Thailand, certainly wouldn't go paddling.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy. Seen some rivers like that in Thailand, certainly wouldn't go paddling.
Sorry Andy, I missed this completely! Thanks, and I agree :surprised:

I'm slowly moving on with this, it's the drying time holding me back. The filler had 2 days in the shed then a day in the house to thoroughly dry. Then it got some paint which was given another day. I'm now applying some varnish, which recommends 24hrs between each coat and it'll probably need a few, so we'll get there eventually. No rush.

Then I need to get the boat stuck down and try to fashion some water effects around it. Stay tuned as that could be even more of a laugh :smiling5:

2023-10-31 08.03.54.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks good Andy. Definitely need patience. This sort of thing has to dry slowly otherwise you can get cracking, blooming and other nasties. Like you say "no rush".

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The water looks convincing already. I guess the trick will be to hide the line between it and the boat.

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm slowly moving on with this, it's the drying time holding me back. The filler had 2 days in the shed then a day in the house to thoroughly dry.
No probs, found with that sea I did, was using decorating filler but it took about 3 days to dry out. As Jim says No rush.
Andy