The Choice

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
And even better with blood on it...Not a lot, but rather well used, so to speak.......
Ah, now, I've never, ever, EVER deployed blood. Maybe I'm squeamish?

In the diorama/vignette, he'll be facing two adversaries - I want viewers to focus on the forthcoming confrontation, not one that's just passed. He's thirsty for blood!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another great rendition Paul. The hooves and the snout are especially well observed. You are really getting the hang of this painting lark ;)

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
With The Beast completed, there will now be an intermission while I get on with my Emergency Services GB. A bit frustrating, as I feel I'm on a roll with painting these figures (after the priming disaster), and I'm REALLY looking forward to making the tree for the diorama.

Still, it'll keep.

20230104_184747.jpg

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Although I'm on Pause with the building of this diorama, I'm not stopping thinking about it.

The diorama centres on a big old characterful tree, with the three protagonists in a triangle around it.

I'm thinking of trying for an ancient tree with a big gnarly trunk, but a severely reduced canopy. That way I get the character of a really big old tree, without it completely swamping the whole diorama.

Something like this - but with a bit more foliage.
IMG_8967.JPG
The model will be about 12" high.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
OK, so I've returned to Hlin and her troublesome primer. After stripping off the acrylic primer, I've just tried again, this time with Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500. And it's not gone on right. Again, I've got some blotchy, blobby areas. So she's getting another strip down to the resin.

Can I have some advice on priming with lacquer?

Should I thin it? Multiple coats? Airbrush pressure? Anything, really, that might help with another new learning curve.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s dried before it hit Paul. Been there a few times ;)
Dilute it down (the old milk adage works well) and use about 15psi. First coat very thin, subsequent coats a bit thicker so it covers.